Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving / Auto Pilot with hatch open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Did a search, looks like you can drive with the hatch open... my question is, will it try to drive me insane with beeps? Can I use Auto Pilot?

With the hatch damage from being lightly rear ended, I am afraid that either I will not be able to get the hatch to shut after opening, or possibly that the car will not acknowledge that the hatch is shut if I do manage to get it to latch and I want to make sure I can still drive and use AP if this happens.

Thanks,

Keith McDonnell

Well, for me the answer about Auto Pilot with the hatch open is irrelevant due to the damage on my hatch, it will not open... so it is a moot point for me. If anyone has an answer though, post it up for anyone else wanting to know.

Keith

BTW, thanks to the forum I figured out what the sloshing noise that I initially thought was rain water that got in around my damaged hatch (bone dry back there, zero rain water ingress)... I am pretty sure it is my windshield washer fluid from my reading here.

Keith

I know it's not the same as an open trunk but you cannot use AP or FSD beta when the Frunk is open. You'll get a graphic, showing the flapping Frunk animation and a warning message to close the Frunk when you put it in Drive. You can drive manually however.

I just transported some big boxes with patio furniture in them and had to drive with the rear hatch open a few feet. What bugged me was not finding any attachment points for tie-downs other than the single latch on the frame (this is supposed to be an SUV, right?). I ended up looping some lines around the strut mounts but that was not a very solid solution. I think I'll install some serious eye straps on the tailgate because I use an SUV as an real Utility vehicle from time to time. But anyway, the warning beeps stopped after a minute or so and I could NOT engage autopilot. Elon: Give us a software update for "driving while tailgate is open, option" !