TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Driving away while plugged in

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Patrick W, May 14, 2015.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Ever wondered what would happen if you absentmindedly got in your S and drove away while forgetting to unplug from the supercharger? I've only had the car a couple of weeks but driving unplugged is one thing I wondered about but did not have the nerve to find out.

For those who might be wondering what would happe: Nothing

Hurring to get home tonight I jumped in the car, pressed on the brake, moved the shift lever down to the drive position and ... nothing happened.

Instead a message appeared reading:

! Unable to Drive
    Check Charge Port

Which was a nice way of saying:

Hey dummy, you forgot to unplug!

Just goes to show that while Tesla can't make the car idiot proof they at least try to make it idiot resistant. :)

So any other "stupid human tricks" out there?

2. Panu

Panu Member

That's good. But if you forget to close the charge port as I once did, you can drive. Maybe that is good too because otherwise there would be a chance of getting stuck because of charge port malfunction.

3. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

You can't alter the suspension if the doors are open. This reduces the chance of damaging the car or injuring the occupant.

You can't shift the car out of park if you aren't sitting in the driver's seat. Likewise, if you are driving the car and stop sitting in the driver's seat, the car will shift into park. [Hey dummy, you forgot to shift into park before exiting the car!]

You get warnings if you press on both the accelerator and the brake at the same time. The brake will override the accelerator. [Hey dummy, make up your mind!]

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

What happens if you're flying down the highway and need to reach into the back seat and lift your bum entirely off the front seat (unsafe while driving,I know)?

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Less than 5 mph, it will go back into park. Over 5 mph, you get warning chimes. At least that was my experience a few versions ago. Can't say I've tested it recently. :)

6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I've been left foot braking for 30+ years and thought I was quite smooth and accurate with my right foot accel pedal and left foot brake. First test drive in Model S proved I was very close but occasionally would get the warning as a reminder I'm human and not a machine!

7. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

There's at least one other thread on this. Anyway, I tested it in my driveway a few releases back. (Lifting off the seat while moving slowly.) Seatbelt on, no switching to Park. Seatbelt off, the car switched to Park when rolling with no pressure on either pedal for a moment.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Even at > 5 MPH? The question was whether this would happen traveling at highway speeds or not. I found the car will not go into park unless you're traveling < 5 MPH - so, for instance, if you readjust yourself in your seat with the seatbelt off, the car doesn't do a hard stop with the E-brake.

9. jgs

jgs Member

Although they addressed this in the D by making the charge port self-closing.

10. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Hey, dummy...did you mean to drive with the frunk open?

When I did this, the car would not allow me to go faster than 5km/hr with bells and warnings the whole way. (The first latch had partially released, but not the second. I couldn't open it or close it. Finally got it unstuck by pressing down a bit to relieve pressure on the latch, and press the unlock frunk button so the first latch fully released.).

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I tested it "the hard way" a month or two ago. I was going through a car wash when I felt the need to pull my cell phone out of my pocket. I unbuckled, lifted my butt to access my pants pocket and the car slammed into Park! The car wash rollers kept going and the car kinda violently "jumped" as the roller went under the now locked wheel. I quickly got it back into Neutral and nothing seemed to have been damaged in the incident, but it was one of those things that when it happened, I immediately realized what I had done.

12. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

Not being able to move the vehicle while plugged in is part of the SAE J1772-2009 standard, used by most electric vehicles (and supported by the Model S).

But even if you somehow could do this, the J1772 handle/cable is designed to break away.

13. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

if you have the TACC engaged it will shut it off

14. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Patrick,

I was attempting to reposition my Model S in my driveway. I was sitting firmly in the driver's seat, but my driver's side door was open and I had my seat belt unfastened. After I started to back up when the car reached 2 mph it shifted into park by itself.

Larry

15. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

That's interesting, and, of course, dangerous, since that means full regenerative braking will kick in immediately. Sounds like a good way to get rear-ended.

I'm wondering if Tesla may want to rethink that one, and go with warning chimes, at least at first.

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

This happened to me tonight as I got out the car a few times to make sure I wasn't backing into the curb or something before I realized the car was shifting to park.

17. tliving

tliving Member

I had an annual service a while back and the service guy went for a test drive with me. When we got back he just jumped out, didnt put it in park or anything. The car figured he was gone and shifted to park and shut down but it was pretty odd/scary to see him do it. I asked him about it and he said he did it all the time. I think for a bit the car could roll couldn't it? (it was level ground so no risk on this one).

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Seems like risky behavior to me, especially with someone else's car.That feature is meant to be a secondary safety feature, not the primary way to park and turn off the car. What if the seat sensor wasn't working properly?