Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Between Ottawa and Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Still thinking of having attractions planned/ready just in case, as I will be fully loaded... This will be a pleasure trip, we are supposed to see stuff anyway, travelling around... also note that I won't want to arrive empty to Ottawa, would like to be able to do some driving there too before the night...

My HPWC is always available for a top-up mid-trip.

Head down the 401 to Exit 509 in Brighton. From there, you can head North, charge at my place (and have some wine, coffee, and some play time for the kids), and then continue onto HWY 7 and up to Ottawa from there!

I had to click on the link twice. The first time it took me to "My Tesla" page. I exited out and clicked the link here again and this time the referenced thread appeared. Make sure you are logged in at Tesla Motors and you will get there.

I am. I still get this message:

ACCESS DENIED

Sorry Khalid, you don't have permission to view the page you've just tried to access.
If you feel that you have received this message in error, please contact us with specific details so that we may review your access to this web site.

Thanks

I'm planning a trip to Ottawa next week. Driving up Sunday/Monday and return on Tuesday/Wednesday. My current plan is to stop at the Kingston Best Western both ways given the timing of my meetings. Is the Kingston charger working fine based on recent experience?

David

It's been a while since I've been there, but it worked just fine last time. The hotel likes customers to use it, so be sure to drop by and tell them you're going to the restaurant. Also beware of ICEing; there's just one spot and one wheelchair spot that can access the charger. Voltage is in the low 200 range.

Check the schedule for Shannonville Motorsports Park. If there's an event on you should be able to get in there for a charge. I was there on the weekend and was getting 237V @ 70A - about as fast as you'll ever charge a Roadster!

Oh, and feel free to drop in for a top-up in Ottawa!

Last edited:
Planning on attempting the Toronto to Ottawa trip on the 27th. Anyone with recent experience at the Best Western in Kingston? All good? Without this Best Western being co-operative it is hard to do this drive. We are staying at a Best Western in Ottawa.

Planning on attempting the Toronto to Ottawa trip on the 27th. Anyone with recent experience at the Best Western in Kingston? All good? Without this Best Western being co-operative it is hard to do this drive. We are staying at a Best Western in Ottawa.

They are friendly and cooperative, but they won't hold the charging space for you unless you're a guest at the hotel; eating in the restaurant isn't enough. I have charged there 6 or 7 times with no problems. I'd suggest putting your phone number on the dash and letting the front desk know that you are charging. Also, I always eat at their restaurant when I charge, to give them some business in exchange for the charge.

However, there is just one space and one charging station, and others have had some trouble with it being occupied, either by another car charging or by a gas car, so I'd suggest you plan to stop at the Cobourg Best Western, and keep Kingston as a fallback, since the other charging stations in Kingston and onwards toward Ottawa are slow. In Cobourg, there's a sign saying the charger is for hotel guests only, but I had a long conversation with the hotel manager and it sounded like he's OK with non-guests charging there as long as they are polite to the guests (even if they have parked in the charging space) and they bring some business to the hotel. The space right in front of the charging station is often ICEd, but the cable will reach 3 spaces. So eat in the restaurant if you can, or at least drop in and say thank you. And then on the return trip, charge in Kingston with Cobourg as a fallback.

Lastly, in Kingston, put the orange cone back in the space when you're done, even if it was off to the side when you arrived, to remind people that it's not a parking space. I don't think they have a cone in Cobourg.

Good luck with the trip! I've done it several times with no issues, but sadly our next trip over the Christmas break will be in the Prius, so as not to put my family through a 3-hour charging stop. And the next trip after that will be supercharged!

They are friendly and cooperative, but they won't hold the charging space for you unless you're a guest at the hotel; eating in the restaurant isn't enough. I have charged there 6 or 7 times with no problems. I'd suggest putting your phone number on the dash and letting the front desk know that you are charging. Also, I always eat at their restaurant when I charge, to give them some business in exchange for the charge.

However, there is just one space and one charging station, and others have had some trouble with it being occupied, either by another car charging or by a gas car, so I'd suggest you plan to stop at the Cobourg Best Western, and keep Kingston as a fallback, since the other charging stations in Kingston and onwards toward Ottawa are slow. In Cobourg, there's a sign saying the charger is for hotel guests only, but I had a long conversation with the hotel manager and it sounded like he's OK with non-guests charging there as long as they are polite to the guests (even if they have parked in the charging space) and they bring some business to the hotel. The space right in front of the charging station is often ICEd, but the cable will reach 3 spaces. So eat in the restaurant if you can, or at least drop in and say thank you. And then on the return trip, charge in Kingston with Cobourg as a fallback.

Lastly, in Kingston, put the orange cone back in the space when you're done, even if it was off to the side when you arrived, to remind people that it's not a parking space. I don't think they have a cone in Cobourg.

Good luck with the trip! I've done it several times with no issues, but sadly our next trip over the Christmas break will be in the Prius, so as not to put my family through a 3-hour charging stop. And the next trip after that will be supercharged!

That is perfect feedback. Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Tried a new route today. Drove from the Toronto Lawrence Supercharger to the Cobourg Best Western. Charged for about 45 minutes to top it up to about 90%, then went up Hwy 45 to Hwy 7 then to Ottawa. Hwy 45 was a bit hilly, but the slopes were gradual enough that much of the time you didn't even hit regen, so no big efficiency hit. Was a pretty good route for energy consumption.

Tried a new route today. Drove from the Toronto Lawrence Supercharger to the Cobourg Best Western. Charged for about 45 minutes to top it up to about 90%, then went up Hwy 45 to Hwy 7 then to Ottawa. Hwy 45 was a bit hilly, but the slopes were gradual enough that much of the time you didn't even hit regen, so no big efficiency hit. Was a pretty good route for energy consumption.

So is it better to lower the regen when traveling in hilly areas or max regen?

So is it better to lower the regen when traveling in hilly areas or max regen?

I suppose lower regen would help preserve a little energy, but it would increase the risk of speeding on the downslopes. If you do need to decelerate you're far better doing it with the regen than the brakes. Perhaps the best answer is to use your foot instead of the cruise control, so you can decide how much regen you will use.

There were only a few hills that required much regen, going Northeast anyway. There was one long downslope where the energy consumption stayed just slightly positive for quite a long while. I expect that was pretty much a zero cost hill.

Doug,

Yes this is still very helpful.
I've charged a few times at the Peterborough BW even though i wasn't a guest. I asked nicely and they said no problem. I ate at the nearby restaurant.
Cobourg was a big problem as i always got iced by white utility trucks who would stay there while they work in the area.
The owner of the BW there told me he has no plans to tell them to move as they do bring in revenue.
Sun Country should have put the charger at a different location at the hotel.
In any case, I would not even think of going to the BW in Cobourg. I have no interest in giving them my business.
Never had an issue at the Kingston BW although I'm getting tired of having 3 hour lunch and dinners there at Tom's Place. Can't wait for the Kingston SC to open by Christmas 2015! LOL!
The BW in Kanata also allowed me to stay and charge without staying overnight.
As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, a SC or even a CS90, 100 or HPWC in the Tweed area would be ideal.

The owner of the BW there told me he has no plans to tell them to move as they do bring in revenue.

Odd. I've met the guy a few times and he has always been very EV friendly. Even took him for a ride in the Roadster.

That said, spending money at the hotel usually results in more enthusiasm.

Sun Country should have put the charger at a different location at the hotel.

Not their call. The owner of the site determines installation location.