Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Between Ottawa and Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd. I've met the guy a few times and he has always been very EV friendly. Even took him for a ride in the Roadster.

That said, spending money at the hotel usually results in more enthusiasm.

Not their call. The owner of the site determines installation location.

Yes, I agree. I know I was there in the Fall when the contractors were there but the owner said he wouldn't try to move them now but he did say once their gig was up that the space would indeed be open to EV users.
I guess he did;t realize when he put the charger in, it was in a spot very convenient for people who want to park and load in through their doors.
In any event, I assume all is good now and that the Cobourg BW might be OK to eat and charge.

Loved the 10! All the lakes - wow! Can't wait to try that one in the summer with a bit more speed - popped right out at the Kingston SC location. Arrived at SC w. 13% battery (even driving above S/L, having started out in Pembroke - cabin heat, -15C) charged at temp supercharger at 112kW/311a/360V, Nav system guided right to the spot. Easy to find. Loving superchargers. What a difference! Record time Pembroke:Burlington - 7.5hrs incl. 3 pitstops and 2 supercharges in the biggest snowstorm of the year!

New, free to use universal charge port located at The Opinicon resort at Chaffey's Lock! We installed it for our own Tesla and wanted to add more convenience for other electric cars as well.

Chaffey's Lock is off highway 15 between Kingston and Ottawa.

Hwy 7 to Perth then 10 to Kingston Supercharger then 401 is 14 km longer from Ottawa to Toronto than driving Hwy 7 to Hwy 37 (Tweed) to Belleville to 401.

In summer, is it realistic to drive the shorter route through Tweed and aim to drive an 85kw car the 410 km distance non-stop to Toronto?

Yes, you can drive Ottawa-Toronto non-stop. 410 km is close to the nominal range of the car, so I would recommend driving to keep the consumption under the Rated Range level. On a nice warm day it's not that hard - keep it under 90 kph and you should be good.

If you don't mind me sharing my numbers: (moderate weather)
90km/h ~ 100km/h = 200 Wh/km (at the rated line)
120km/h = 220 Wh/km

Add 10Wh/km if you're against the wind or the heater is ON at 21C.

The rated line I believe is at about 188 Wh/km. It is easy to beat "rated" on a warm day going 90 km/h. Just for kicks sometimes I actually drive the speed limit of 80 km/h (unlike 99.99999% of other vehicles) on the new South Fraser Perimeter Road (Highway 17) and usually get 160 Wh/km, sometimes less.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one other data point: I drove from Victoria to Ottawa, via Los Angeles of course, and averaged 180 Wh/km. Slightly better than "rated". This included a lot of driving in temperatures between 30 and 42 degrees C. The climate control stayed on!

2014-07-31-12-37-16-2H6A7405.jpg

Last edited:
I take the back roads to 10, but yes, I think that's the best option.

But if you want to speed down the 416 and across to Kingston, the additional time spent charging will be small. Of course 10 is the nicer drive by far.
Please let me know your back roads.

I have old favourites; Used to have a cottage on Lake Opinicon above Jones Falls locks. I’d love to have new routes.
DaveL

I apologize. Labouring trying to choose a first Tesla, first EV. I travel from Toronto to Ottawa and would love to economize with the new to me car. I was fascinated when I found the post suggesting routes and charging stations.

I see people going into real detail. I have a lot to learn about Teslas and this forum

DaveL

With newer Teslas you shouldn't have an issue. This thread is wickedly obsolete. The stretch of the 401 from Port Hope to Gananoque is probably the best in the country for SuperChargers as there is one an average of roughly every 20 km at Port Hope, Cobourg, Trenton, Belleville, Napanee, KingstonX2 and Gan. There is supposed to be one at Brockville, but that is taking forever to get built.
And newer Teslas have longer ranges. My car has about 380km of range, degraded down from 400km when I bought it 9 years ago. Newer LR Teslas go farther.

I apologize. Labouring trying to choose a first Tesla, first EV. I travel from Toronto to Ottawa and would love to economize with the new to me car. I was fascinated when I found the post suggesting routes and charging stations.

I see people going into real detail. I have a lot to learn about Teslas and this forum

DaveL
You're spoilt for choice in terms of charging going Toronto to Ottawa and the Tesla nav will do it all for you - just plugin your destination and follow the route. Personally I find HW7 way more chill than the 401 and usually go that way. Plenty of Superchargers on both routes.

I enjoy the highway 7 route. Madoc supercharger is my favourite stop. 250kw stalls, and has been empty every time I’ve stopped there.
That's the route I always used to take when I lived there. Ah, the memories. Once at night the fog was so thick, we rolled down our windows so we could see the center line and/or fog line.