Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Cross Country Female + 2 Dogs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't have an iPhone but do have a Google/Gmail account, you can share your location with specific people so that Google Maps will show them where you are. It's not always a real-time/up-to-the-minute location, but most times it's good enough. My daughter and her boyfriend did this on their recent drive from Florida to Oregon and it was comforting to know how they were progressing.
You might also be able to do that with Teslafi (as long as you trust someone since they would have some remote access to the car). In fact, that might be a good idea in case you lock your purse or something in the car/trunk and then lose your phone, it falls in the river, or battery dies. If you can use someone else’s phone to call a friend/love one I think they could remote unlock the car via Teslafi.

This actually brings up another point. While I rely on my phone 100% of the time for my Tesla key, make sure you have a key card with you (purse, wallet, even pocket if you must) and then maybe toss the other one in a night bag that you always take into the hotel room with you. You never know when something is going to happen to your phone or it’ll log you out of the app and you don’t have phone service in that spot.

Reactions: mkmazer
Download the Plug Share App, this app will show all types of Chargers your Tesla can plug into, you should already have the J1772 adapter for L2 charging. Some areas or hotels might only have these types like Charge Point, Electrify America, EVGo and Blink. We can also use the 50kw CHAdeMO charger but you will need that type of adapter and those are expensive.

Fred

A flat tire can be a full day event, if you consider the time for a tow truck to come over and fix the tire or get a new one.
Flat tires or battery jump is not an emergency for tow trucks, so you might have to wait for a long time.
If you need a new tire, few tire shop would have one, so you will have to go to a Tesla Service Center.

So I would certainly get:
- a spare tire, and
- two (2 Tons) scissors jacks, and
- a set of 4 lifting Jack Pad.​

You should practice how to change a wheel in advance, using two scissors jack, one on the front tire and one on the rear,
will be much more easier because of the weight of the car, so you can raise a little bit each scissor jack
otherwise it would be almost impossible to lift the car by yourself. Hopefully you will not have any flat tire during your trip.

Note: I attached my spare tire under the rear speaker shelf, so I can still use my trunk on even sleep in my car if I need to.

When you get to L.A. you might want to investigate getting a car pool sticker. Not sure what the rules are, but I was able to a car pool sticker for my Tesla when I imported it from out of state.

Not sure this is a good idea but you could post an advertisement in craigslist asking for some company in your cross country trek. You can say things like prefer female. There are plenty of people that need to make the journey and would prefer a car over a bus.

When you get to L.A. you might want to investigate getting a car pool sticker. Not sure what the rules are, but I was able to a car pool sticker for my Tesla when I imported it from out of state.

Not sure this is a good idea but you could post an advertisement in craigslist asking for some company in your cross country trek. You can say things like prefer female. There are plenty of people that need to make the journey and would prefer a car over a bus.
She has 2 dogs and stuff to take with her, no extra room for another person. Who knows what kind of creep will accompany her on this long trip.

Fred

I would recommend to stay in touch with some friends during your trip, and to install the Glympse App so someone could check your location.

Also to have someone able to access your Tesla App, in case you your phone battery is discharged or you lost your phone.
This is a way to check your car location too.

Well, in case you lose your phone, you should register your phone to a 'Find my Phone' App and have a friend able to trace it.
Everything You Should Do Before You Lose Your Phone

May be hide some cash, an extra credit card, and a copy of your ID and car insurance, in case you lose your bag or purse.

• Informative
Rent a trailer and fill it with 3 spare tires, two jacks, two jack stands, travel with a mechanic and an armed guard and a veterinarian. Then maybe you will make it to California but it's highly likely you will need to pay a ransom so bring gold because there is a possibility they won't accept cash. You might want to join a prison gang for protection also. If you have enough money I would even consider purchasing a second Tesla, filling it with toilet paper and towing it behind the trailer.

Also remember to wash your hands.

Rent a trailer and fill it with 3 spare tires, two jacks, two jack stands, travel with a mechanic and an armed guard and a veterinarian. Then maybe you will make it to California but it's highly likely you will need to pay a ransom so bring gold because there is a possibility they won't accept cash. You might want to join a prison gang for protection also. If you have enough money I would even consider purchasing a second Tesla, filling it with toilet paper and towing it behind the trailer.

I would suggest a closed transport truck to ship the Tesla and her across the US.

If you have the time and money you might want to look into shipping your stuff & asking if a friend might want to join you on the trip and make it a slower sightseeing trip across the US with the dogs. Hit some national parks and stuff and then your friend could fly home.

Reactions: KenC and outdoors

Exactly this :)
cross country trips are worth embracing and enjoying the opportunity.
Don't be afraid, just prepare
You could get a flat tire - but after over 30 years of driving I've have exactly four (4) punctures.
So I don't bother with a spare - just emergency repair kit.
Basic preparation and just enjoy the heck out of it :cool:

Our last long road trip, we just packed our bags and left.

Reactions: jpfive and mkmazer
I'm looking at Driving from NYC Metro - Los Angeles this summer to move.

I'm going to have my two small dogs with me but curious if any females have done cross country trips alone.
  • Did you have any issues?
  • What safety items do you suggest I get?
  • Any suggestions on route/dog friendly places?
  • When leaving your dogs alone with dog mode any issues? Did you also put a sign up?
  • Is it easy to change a tire with a jack (which one should I get if so - the car is heavy!) or should I just rely on roadside assistance?

I've driven across the country now 5 times, only 1 time alone - the other times with dogs and 1 other person. It was before the pandemic so there's that, it's also before having the Tesla so I could drive stupid long hours before stopping since the car had a 400 mile range. It's better to stop and charge I've sinced learned, your body will thank you for that.

All the trips were pre-planned with stops at La Quinta as they are inexpensive and happy to have your pups. We have AAA cause it gives us discounts on hotels and road service; personally I'd call for a truck if my tire was flattened because being alone on a roadside can be really dangerous in traffic (my dad lost a friend in an accident like that, horrible)

I actually had AAA do some route planning and stuck to major highways for the solo trip, I wanted to get there vs sight see on that trip

Have plenty of good music :) I also made sure I had clothes for using the (small if at all) gym at the hotels and/or a pool. Getting some real exercise in the day was a big deal for my mental state

Good luck, it's a bit of an adventure for sure!

• Informative
+1 for using abetterrouteplanner.com to find hotels with destination chargers. This will make your life easier in a few key ways:
  • Gives you a natural target/final stop for the day
  • Charge while you’re sleeping
  • 100% state of charge when you start in the AM
  • Precondition without any range loss
I agree with others that you should plan to stop and charge often, even if only for 5 min. Especially with the dogs, you’ll want to get out of the car and stretch your legs. Plus, ABC (Always Be Charging).

Try to plan your meals around charging stops for max time efficiency.

Dog mode works as advertised, just be aware of range loss if it’s hot out and the AC is cranking to maintain 71 F for the pups and you’re away for some time.

Navigate On Autopilot is the real MVP of long road trips in a Tesla.

Enjoy the scenery!

All seems pretty straightforward and practical. I was just wondering if you have any recommendations for prison gangs and if they recognize Tesla referral codes for reduced membership fees and/or initiation rituals for Tesla owners like myself?

• Funny
Reactions: TX_M3P+
I think on car plug repair is your only DIY option. As mentioned you can’t repair side wall damage. Loosening a 129 lb ft nut with a lug nut wrench on the side of the road is difficult for anyone. Jacking the car up with cars and trucks wizzing by on the road is dangerous. Here in Florida we have state sponsored Road Rangers on the interstates that assist stranded motorists when they are encountered or are called. Other states may have the same. Maybe they can help with the tire in the video above. As a last resort figure out how to get you and your car towed to a reputable tire shop or maybe .

The first items I bought when car was delivered were a tire plug repair kit and a compressor.

Last edited:
Just drive it. Make sure you stay stocked up on drinks and snacks for you and the puppers. AAA is a good idea, but you can also check with your insurance company - most offer an equivalent service for significantly cheaper. Make sure you bring something to keep you occupied if you make a mistake charging and end up having to spend several hours at an L2.
Ive had people tell me they appreciate the "dog mode" on my car. At first they were worried for the dog, but then they saw the screen, relaxed, and though "wow that's cool"
If you want to sleep in the car, get a memory foam pad. And tint the rear windows. If you're handy with a hair dryer, you can tint all the side windows in the car for $50. I used Front Side Windows Shade : 70% & Back Side Windows Shade : 25%. My tint job wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good and very inexpensive. I also have the mesh roof panels from Tesla - so nobody can see anything in the rear of my car.