Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving distance setting in stop and go traffic

What is you typical TACC/AP distance setting?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of my commute is stop and go traffic with speeds varying between 0 and about 40 mph and I am trying to figure out what is the best TACC/AP distance setting for such a traffic.

I typically set it to 7 to reduce moving and stopping too aggressively and to give the car plenty of time to react, but noticed that a lot of times when the car in front of me slows down, my car kind of brakes a little too hard for the person behind me to slow down. Honestly, I would be annoyed if a car in front of me was braking so hard with plenty of room available to brake softly.

What is the distance setting that you guys use that works well most of the times for you and other drivers behind you?

2 works well in most cases for me. sometimes increase to 6 or 7 if speeds are on the higher end. But in stop and go it is wasteful to pollute the highway with so much empty space between you and the car in front of you. If everyone did that the traffic would move even slower -- fewer cars handled per mile per minute per lane.

Generally, 2 or 3 in my daily driving conditions. In heavy traffic, settings greater than 2 in California results in a lot more people attempting dangerous cut-ins which then creates a more dangerous Autopilot scenario where I have to decide whether to disengage on a moment's notice.

At faster speeds in more open traffic, 4 or 5 sets a following distance that doesn't feel like tailgating.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
I find that 1 isn't close enough to prevent east coast drivers from cutting in - but that anything less than 3 means that in typical merges I have to break out of AP to avoid a collision (or possibly near collision if it reacts to Ultrasound fast enough) before the car gets fully merged into the lane.

So I leave it at 4 most of the time, which gives a smoother ride and allows them to merge safely, as much as the merges annoy me (especially the ones who come from behind me to do it - like they don't realize I'm following him at a fixed distance already.)

Reactions: RobertF
I leave it on 7 all the time.
So do I. Works great! I love TACC, it's an incredible feature.

@sumitkgarg please note that the 1-7 scale does not represent a "distance" and the numbers have no units as far as anyone outside of the Tesla AP engineering team knows. As I'm sure you have observed, the TACC interval varies on the same setting depending on your speed.

So do I. Works great! I love TACC, it's an incredible feature.

@sumitkgarg please note that the 1-7 scale does not represent a "distance" and the numbers have no units as far as anyone outside of the Tesla AP engineering team knows. As I'm sure you have observed, the TACC interval varies on the same setting depending on your speed.

I thought it was supposed to be approximately half seconds of time, though the car is slow to accelerate and also late to brake for maintaining intervals.

3 seems to be the sweet spot for me in busier traffic but will change it to 5 or 6 if speeds are higher. Setting at 3 keeps the space short enough not to annoy people but far enough to let an occasional person merge in front. If they match speed, the X will adjust speed very smoothly these days and not panic. Of course if they merge and hit the brakes the car will do the same. I don't think it will cause accidents but I do keep a close eye on it and will cancel AP every so often

• Informative
I stick with 4, not too many cutting me off and usually they need to get over (not weaving in and out). Give a setting some time, you need to trust the car's reactions. Until you are sure what your car will do no setting will seem "right".

Most of my commute is stop and go traffic with speeds varying between 0 and about 40 mph and I am trying to figure out what is the best TACC/AP distance setting for such a traffic.

I typically set it to 7 to reduce moving and stopping too aggressively and to give the car plenty of time to react, but noticed that a lot of times when the car in front of me slows down, my car kind of brakes a little too hard for the person behind me to slow down. Honestly, I would be annoyed if a car in front of me was braking so hard with plenty of room available to brake softly.

What is the distance setting that you guys use that works well most of the times for you and other drivers behind you?
I would recommend that Tesla add a constant display beside The speedo showing the distance setting