Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving down Route 16 in Washington State, my 2020 Tesla S started screaming and flashing at me to take control and drive to a safe stopping place.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was about 30 miles from home when the small display went nuts with warnings. I felt an immediate loss of power and one warning said to pull over to safety immediately. Another message said my Front motor was disengaging. Another said:"Shuting Down." WTF??? I pulled over a bit panicked from all hysterical warnings. But not far enough off Route 16, a busy highway on the Kitsap Peninsula. Once I stopped, I could no longer engage propulsion of any sort to pull farther off onto the margin. Huge trucks were flying by VERY close and it was frightening. All the drive options were bright red. (D-R-P etc) For about ten minutes, the warning "Shutting Down" flashed, then both screens went dark. I opened the door, and they came back on with the message "OFF" I could not for the life of me find the emergency blinker button, which hides in the decorative styling of the dash. Tesla told me it was behind the mirror. I said I could not find it. He said "Google it" which was actually the best solution. There was a video showing exactly where they hid it. It is opposite the button for the glove compartment...which I also had difficulty finding.l It took several hours standing out in the very cold weather with no jacket and no bathroom and I will be 80 this year!! In the end a flatbed drove about 60 miles and picked "Storm" up and hauled her to Seattle, about an hour and 20 minutes from where I live. I do not know how I'll get her back. Fortunately, my wife has a nice, reliable Chevy Bolt. We may have to drive about 3 hours to get here. Now this is the second nasty failure on my car4e with less than 5000 miles on it. Earlier my driver door started acting strangely, not extending properly and just making funny motor noises inside the door. Then the door started popping open while I was driving, and especially when I stopped at a stop sign. I could close it, but it would again pop open while moving. This too is a pretty serious fail. I'm no longer sure I can recommend teslas, even though I love my car...when I works. I will add that the Tesla Service team was very responsive and when Storm arrived at their facility, storm texted me and so did my service Advisor, Colin. They set up a loaner car for me and I should have a diagnosis Friday or Monday.

Dang. That sucks. Sorry.

Cars do break down. I was left stranded by my bmw once, luckily on a small road. And the brakes went out in my dodge.

Always good to familiarize one with the controls of a new car.
True brkaus, but this is the second major failure in less than 5000 miles. The first one was that the Driver door started popping open when I was driving and especially when I stopped at a stop sign. Here is the kicker. Tesla has had the car for5 days now and the still have no clue what happened. How in hell can I trust a car like that. And it Cost a bloody fortune in the first place! I was assured that it would be super reliable....my ass.

Having had My Model S since 2/10/22 Tesla reports that they have no idea what happened. How in hell can I ever trust a car that fails that majorly, put my wife and I in serious danger and stranded for hours, and apparently has no record of the failure? Tesla knows every damn time I drive too close or break too hard, how in hell can they not know when a major breakdown takes place? My wife said she doen't think she'll ever be able to truse the S for a trip again, and it is our full size road-trip car. As you know it cost a bloody fortune as well. I am retired, I need reliable transportation. I'm getting old for road breakdown adventures.

Having had My Model S since 2/10/22 Tesla reports that they have no idea what happened. How in hell can I ever trust a car that fails that majorly, put my wife and I in serious danger and stranded for hours, and apparently has no record of the failure? Tesla knows every damn time I drive too close or break too hard, how in hell can they not know when a major breakdown takes place? My wife said she doen't think she'll ever be able to truse the S for a trip again, and it is our full size road-trip car. As you know it cost a bloody fortune as well. I am retired, I need reliable transportation. I'm getting old for road breakdown adventures.
The only issues I had with my M3 were when it was new. It did some freaky frozen screen several times. Nothing since then. It would concern me that the SC couldn’t sort out what caused the problem, however. I must say though, having had many vehicles in the past, all purchased new, there were some problems with them, too. Plugged fuel filters, engine warning lights and the worst unexplained acceleration!