Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving downhill and uphill tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys/gals,

This is probably a very stupid question to ask, but I came from a 2012 Honda civic which is front wheel drive so driving dynamics are very much different compared to those two cars.

Driving uphill during a stop sign, if I don't press the brake pedals and the accelerator, the car will go slightly backwards and the back tires will spin. On a Tesla, assuming if I have hold mode, I don't have to press the brake and the accelerator when coming, correct?

Parking on downhill or uphill, the car acts the same thing as above. If hold mode is on, I don't have to do the same thing, correct?

Anything else that I should probably know for driving uphill and downhill? Thanks all.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, then no, you don' have to worry about playing a game with the brake and accelerator. Once the car stops it goes into hold mode (unless you have creep turned on) and you just press the accelerator to go again on both downhill and uphill roads. Same goes for parking, when you are on a hill and put the car in Drive/Reverse it will hold until you press the accelerator (again, unless you have creep turned on).

IF you enable creep mode, it might free roll up/down a hill, I am not sure as I've had it off since I got the car.

I'm a little confused how the rear wheels spin when the Honda is front drive. None the less, I wouldn't worry. If creep is on, it will hold unless the hill A+ San Fransisco grade. Even if the car could be in neutral, given the drive wheels are in back and weight transfer goes that way, you should be good to go.

This is probably a very stupid question to ask, but I came from a 2012 Honda civic which is front wheel drive so driving dynamics are very much different compared to those two cars.

You live in LA, so no snow, and no traction-challenged situations.
Civic is a mediocre car, so ANYWAY you drive, Model 3 will be a huge improvement.

Driving uphill during a stop sign, if I don't press the brake pedals and the accelerator, the car will go slightly backwards and the back tires will spin. On a Tesla, assuming if I have hold mode, I don't have to press the brake and the accelerator when coming, correct?

I will assume "when coming" refers to a driving experience.

There is never a good reason to press brake and throttle pedals at the same time (unless you are an advanced track run group student, or an instructor).

If you enable "hold brake" mode, the car will apply brakes to fully prevent it from rolling on its own. If you are one of the few people who actually comes to a full stop at a "Stop" sign, all you will have to do is press the throttle pedal to start going again.

Parking on downhill or uphill, the car acts the same thing as above. If hold mode is on, I don't have to do the same thing, correct?

The same.

Anything else that I should probably know for driving uphill and downhill? Thanks all.

Car works best if you stay on the paved section of the road, and keep the shiny side up!

HTH,
a