Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving efficiency decrease with V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
39682026-B95B-40EA-A29E-E904361A9378.jpeg
Has anyone seen a drop in their driving efficiency going down since V10. Looking at the stats app there is a clear degradation since V10 being installed.

Not me. Just the opposite.
I don’t have any graphs to share, but I just did a 550 km trip this past weekend, charged from 100% down to about 10% and I saw some of the best efficiency I’ve ever had. My AWD has 55,000km’s and is a year old.
In fact I’m realizing after this weekend, my state of charge which is sitting happily at somewhere around 5% - 6% degradation (SOC only) is actually more like 2% - 3% in actual degradation based on the range I got from the battery.
So I haven’t seen any drop in efficiency on my end since V10

I'm a little confused because it says Daily Average Efficiency.

We know V10 is less efficient overall because Smart Summon leaves more things on while the car is just sitting there (assuming it's not as home or at work). So the vampire drain is higher.

Here is a post about it.
PSA - Turn off Summon Standby if you leave car at airport : teslamotors

This obviously wouldn't impact driving range.

To really see the impact of V10 on driving range you'd have to look at stats from Australia.

Reactions: brkaus
I'm a little confused because it says Daily Average Efficiency.

We know V10 is less efficient overall because Smart Summon leaves more things on while the car is just sitting there (assuming it's not as home or at work). So the vampire drain is higher.

Here is a post about it.
PSA - Turn off Summon Standby if you leave car at airport : teslamotors

V10 isn't necessarily less efficient.
Smart Summon may use more power if you leave it active, but that's not vampire drain. Vampire drain isn't from a function like sentry mode or smart summon.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
V10 isn't necessarily less efficient.
Smart Summon may use more power if you leave it active, but that's not vampire drain. Vampire drain isn't from a function like sentry mode or smart summon.

I consider vampire drain to be whatever the electronics use while the car is sitting in some location overnight or for a couple days.

Obviously Sentry mode isn't vampire drain as it's a function that you have to turn on. It performs an actual function.

But, I do consider the increase in standby power resulting from Smart Summon "Keep in standby" as part of the vampire drain. It's not apparent to the user that it's even active. It's not doing anything, and it's simply preventing the Autopilot stuff powering down. Sure the purpose of preventing those things from powering down is to enable the summon function to quickly come up. But, the only function it really serves is a cheat so firmware/software/hardware engineers don't have to put a lot of work into getting the autopilot computer to boot quickly. I don't blame them as it can be really difficult to get stuff to boot fast.

For end-users it's important to easily explain things so that's why I said it can increase the vampire drain if this standby mode button is kept on. Or maybe a better way would be to say that it prevents it from going to sleep fully.

In any case if an owner isn't going to use Smart summon then it's probably best to turn off the "standby mode under summon" as it's likely that they'll completely forget about it only to discover it again when it's drained the battery to 20% because they left their car at a friends house for a few days.

Reactions: brkaus
Haven't tracked my wh but I was getting 450kms to 90 percent now I'm getting 440 after V10 but the weather has been alot colder lately and Ive had a couple times that full regen wasn't possible so that could have something to do with it.

Has anyone seen a drop in their driving efficiency going down since V10.

My efficiency seems to have gone UP! I did just add 3 psi to each tire to compensate for the colder temperatures but I don't think I've ever got this kind of efficiency in cold weather. But who knows, I haven't compensated for possible tailwinds or various speeds and cargo weight in the car.

I do know I'm constantly in awe of how far the Model 3 can go on a dollar's worth of electricity. It's so cheap to drive, I don't even think about efficiency anymore, it's something that just happens whether I try or if I drive without thinking about it.

It's surprising how much tire pressure can suddenly drop with a change in the weather! I noticed my tires were slipping a lot on wet pavement under acceleration. 3 more psi fixed that pronto! Back up to 45 psi cold and loving it again!

Did my first commute on V10 - was getting around 212-218 w/mi pre-v10. Today, 201 w/mi. It's a little cooler out when I leave the office, so the AC may not have needed to work as hard. But the morning commute was definitely more efficient then prior commutes, driving the same route. RWD. 90% SOC = 287m. 19 Sport wheels. Tire Pressure ~ 44 - 45 psi when warmed-up.

I consider vampire drain to be whatever the electronics use while the car is sitting in some location overnight or for a couple days.

Obviously Sentry mode isn't vampire drain as it's a function that you have to turn on. It performs an actual function.

But, I do consider the increase in standby power resulting from Smart Summon "Keep in standby" as part of the vampire drain. It's not apparent to the user that it's even active. It's not doing anything, and it's simply preventing the Autopilot stuff powering down. Sure the purpose of preventing those things from powering down is to enable the summon function to quickly come up. But, the only function it really serves is a cheat so firmware/software/hardware engineers don't have to put a lot of work into getting the autopilot computer to boot quickly. I don't blame them as it can be really difficult to get stuff to boot fast.

For end-users it's important to easily explain things so that's why I said it can increase the vampire drain if this standby mode button is kept on. Or maybe a better way would be to say that it prevents it from going to sleep fully.

In any case if an owner isn't going to use Smart summon then it's probably best to turn off the "standby mode under summon" as it's likely that they'll completely forget about it only to discover it again when it's drained the battery to 20% because they left their car at a friends house for a few days.

If sentry mode isn’t vampire drain, neither is smart summon. Both function you turn on and use.
It’s important newbies know this.
The term Vampire drain can confuse them otherwise.

Reactions: Nocturnal
The chart is the aggregate data from all users of Stats. The drop is clearly correlated with the intro of V10. It's supposed to be "driving efficiency" so non driving or vampire drain, or Sentry or SmartSummon shouldn't be a factor. Weather would be the primary culprit, but the severity of the drop seems too extreme for the change from Summer to Fall. I'm showing a little lower efficiency, but I haven't driven enough to really say.

The chart is the aggregate data from all users of Stats. The drop is clearly correlated with the intro of V10. It's supposed to be "driving efficiency" so non driving or vampire drain, or Sentry or SmartSummon shouldn't be a factor. Weather would be the primary culprit, but the severity of the drop seems too extreme for the change from Summer to Fall. I'm showing a little lower efficiency, but I haven't driven enough to really say.

dunno about the rest. But I’ve driven a few hundred miles (daily commute is 50 miles) ...and this is not at all accurate for me...and the temp here has only dropped 5-6degrees. I wonder if certain models got worse where others got better?