Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As i ordered Tesla Model Y since March without test driving. I decided to rent the Model Y for my weekend in Atlanta to have experience of what i am expecting. We drove the car fine on Saturday, then today just as we left my sister's church to head back to the Airport, then the unforeseen happened. The car locked us out. The key fob wont unlock the car, we had to call hertz, they remotely unlocked the vehicle, so we got in, but the car still did not start, they also had to remotely start it and we drove it that way to the Airport. I am wondering if that was a good or a bad experience? Is Tesla trying to tell me something about my order lol?

As i ordered Tesla Model Y since March without test driving. I decided to rent the Model Y for my weekend in Atlanta to have experience of what i am expecting. We drove the car fine on Saturday, then today just as we left my sister's church to head back to the Airport, then the unforeseen happened. The car locked us out. The key fob wont unlock the car, we had to call hertz, they remotely unlocked the vehicle, so we got in, but the car still did not start, they also had to remotely start it and we drove it that way to the Airport. I am wondering if that was a good or a bad experience? Is Tesla trying to tell me something about my order lol?
Nope. It’s all good. Either you made a mistake being new to the vehicle or hertz has some special abilities due to being a fleet operator and mistakenly locked you out & made it had to start again.

Don't they give you a card?

With a card you need:
(1) to open the door by placing the card against the driver side pilar. And
(2) to put the card on the console to start the car.

So that's what Hertz did remotely.
Hertz gives the key card according to their tutorials. I could see why someone new to tesla might call it a key fob though not knowing there is a true key fob accessory which costs around $175 and is in the physical shape of the car.

Hertz gives the key card according to their tutorials. I could see why someone new to tesla might call it a key fob though not knowing there is a true key fob accessory which costs around $175 and is in the physical shape of the car.
Yes, it was a key card, can you point me to where i can read about the keyfob in preparation for my delivery.

Yes, it was a key card, can you point me to where i can read about the keyfob in preparation for my delivery.
You do not need this key fob (link at bottom of message). Tesla sells it as an accessory. The car comes with two key cards (credit card form factor). My cards work from within my wallet so I just swipe my wallet if needed.
However, I use the mobile phone as key feature. You just walk up to the car and it will let you in and drive off. No need to keep an app running all the time or head of time (at least with an iPhone 13, not sure about others). You can tell car to ask you for a PIN code before allowing drive operations. This option leaves the two other key cards available to be used by other family members.