Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from Cleveland to Los Angeles, which is the best route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been studying routes for days and can't really decide whether to go north and cut through Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, to California.

Or go
Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California

Or go
Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California?

Anyone here with experience? Should I avoid the mountains and go through the South? Since it is not winter, going North would be safe? Also there is a lot of toll roads going on the North route.

71D41402-6DD6-412A-A7F4-B427C00ACE76.jpeg
I just completed the reverse of this drive yesterday and here is my route that Tesla took me.
I did it total of 3 days with 6 hours of sleep each night in the car. :)

Depending on where you are going in CA, I would possibly recommend taking a more northern route as the heat in Texas and New Mexico was a lot for my little S75 to keep me cool.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
As a heads up, Oklahoma has tolls and doesn’t accept I-Pass/EZ-Pass (only their own local transponder), so carry coins or just run the toll so long as it’s your first time through. I was coming up from Houston to Chicago last month and totally forgot about that fact (and it was late at night, so I wasn’t going to stop to try and find quarters) and just ran through hoping they would do it based off the license plate like in Texas (Note: they don’t, they only use your license plate to send you a letter saying you should have paid them).

Otherwise, I’ve done the drive from the Midwest to Phoenix, AZ 4 times now and driving through oklahmoma, Texas, and most of New Mexico is rather boring.

I haven’t been through Nebraska, but there are tolls going through Indiana to Iowa (it’s worth it though, the road is nice/well maintained). I find cornfields to be more endearing than the handle of Texas, so that would be my vote.

Thanks guys for the tips. I actually just got back. Took me 2 days, non stop.
I ended up doing the route Fcautela1 did. The heat was bad on the X with the glass roof, I kept the climate on 74 F. If I had kids or passengers, they would've been dead. I slept during the supercharging with full ac on.