Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from Montreal QC to Yellowstone MT in a Tesla S - and back again.

patrickdub

Dec 14, 2018
Montreal
I started yesterday, no real concrete plan, other than the destination.
It's about 3300 km each way.

I have been using both a better route planner, and the onboard navigation, and I have to say I find both very good.
At the moment, I'm crossing a great lake on a ferry from Muskegon, Michigan state to Milwaukee in Winsconsin.
I managed 1300km in about 14 hours real time, and I now plan to follow the onboard navigation religiously to see if I can improve the distance travelled for today.
some quick observations
- I'm using Autosteer less than I thought I would
- Most superchargers are easy to find with the onboard nav, (but not all)
- My first ever faulty supercharger charger happened to be my first charger in the US (Port Huron Michigan), and for a split second I panicked that I couldn't charge in the US. Then I tried the next one and all was ok in the world again.
- I seem to be averaging around 200kw/kmv (guesstimate)
- Driving for many hours with regular breaks is much easier and comfortable than I thought it would.
- Not attempting hyper-milling since I'm more interested in least amount of time spent, rather than power efficiency. I don't know if this is correct reasoning since I haven't gone through the numbers.
- The quiet is golden

I'm not sure what's interesting but I'm keeping a log of some informations. I wanted to post here in case there are specific things I should record, or do.

Reactions: Lucky_Man

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Looking forward to your experience as you keep updating this thread.

When you say you're not hyper-milling, what specifically are you not doing? Just interested in your viewpoint, that's all.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC