Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from Orlando to Key West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try entering Key West as your destination in A Better Route Planner. When I used ABRP to plan this trip it has me stopping to charge three times:

Ft. Drum - 16 minutes
Pembroke Pines - 17 minutes
Marathon Supercharger - 7 minutes

I changed the maximum charge limit from 85% to 80%; now ABRP shows charging stops as follows:

Ft. Drum - 7 minutes
Delray Beach - 11 minutes
Florida City Supercharger - 20 minutes

Total estimated distance is 398 miles (~400 miles) so you would definitely need to stop several times to charge.

Model Y is fully charged 300+ miles. Navigation is set for Key West and it shows arrival with 11% left. Why doesn’t it tell us to stop in Marathon? Any advice? There are no Superchargers in Key West.
Thanks.
Because the navigation doesn't try to get you there with a full battery. It just gets you there. Tesla navigation assumes you will charge at your destination basically.

If you want to arrive at Key West with a certain percentage of battery left your better off planning your trip with ABRP. Or just, you know, set your destination as Marathon SuperCharger, plug in, then set your KW destination and leave when your happy with the state of charge it says you will have left after the drive from the supercharger to your final destination.

Try entering Key West as your destination in A Better Route Planner. When I used ABRP to plan this trip it has me stopping to charge three times:

Ft. Drum - 16 minutes
Pembroke Pines - 17 minutes
Marathon Supercharger - 7 minutes

I changed the maximum charge limit from 85% to 80%; now ABRP shows charging stops as follows:

Ft. Drum - 7 minutes
Delray Beach - 11 minutes
Florida City Supercharger - 20 minutes

Total estimated distance is 398 miles (~400 miles) so you would definitely need to stop several times to charge.
You didn't enter your starting charge as 100% I think. I only show a stop at Pembroke Pines for this trip and arriving at 15% charge to KW. Obviously if I put a desired arrival charge it would be different, but since I don't really know what charge the OP would like to arrive at I'm leaving it out.

I imagine that the only time most navigation apps will plot you to stop at Marathon would be on the way OUT from KW. Inbound you can easily make it from other Superchargers all the way down to the Southernmost Point in KW. As long as you plan on charging at your destination at least. Especially since the speed limit on US-1 through the keys is rarely above 60 as I recall.

You didn't enter your starting charge as 100% I think. I only show a stop at Pembroke Pines for this trip and arriving at 15% charge to KW. Obviously if I put a desired arrival charge it would be different, but since I don't really know what charge the OP would like to arrive at I'm leaving it out.

I imagine that the only time most navigation apps will plot you to stop at Marathon would be on the way OUT from KW. Inbound you can easily make it from other Superchargers all the way down to the Southernmost Point in KW. As long as you plan on charging at your destination at least. Especially since the speed limit on US-1 through the keys is rarely above 60 as I recall.
My starting SOC was set to 90%.

My starting SOC was set to 90%.
Odd. When I put 90% I get stops at Delray Beach and Marathon. Still, it's calculating for current traffic and weather and things as well so that probably accounts for the differences. I was wrong about being planned to stop at Marathon inbound though. Clearly there are plenty of scenarios where that will happen. Just not necessarily in the OP specific one.

I specified charging stops at 20% minimum SOC and a destination SOC of 26%. Maximum speed 70 MPH, Reference consumption of 270 Wh/mi. I don't expect you'll get exactly the same result. My point was that I don't think anyone should plan to drive from Orlando to Key West in Long Range Model Y with stopping to charge at least two or three times.