Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from Ottawa Ontario to Nanaimo is an interesting trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I have a cottage booked near Nanaimo BC for 2 months. We left Ottawa Dec.27th and had to head to Detroit Michigan because Canada does not have enough chargers to stay on Canadian roads. The charging cable would not come out at one of the charges. Had to use the emergency cord in the trunk to release it. Nothing serious. Was driving down freeway on auto pilot and wipers started swiping at maximum speed. Car also would not let me release auto pilot. Did a quick soft re-boot and problems solved. Got caught in Chicago rush hour and let the car take me through the traffic. Had to charge more often then expected as temperature dipped into the minuses.(Got a little over 200miles per charge.] Ran into a blizzard in Wyoming and had to stop in Gillette for the night. Got up and ready to go but HYW was closed so had to stay and extra day which is where we are right now. We have travelled about 1700 miles and have another 1200 or so miles left. Will let you know when we get there and fill you in on how the rest of the trip went. Car is handling fantastic. Would not do this trip without auto pilot. I am 68 and not into driving long distances however with auto pilot I can relax and let the car do the driving.

Car also would not let me release auto pilot
Touching the brakes or giving a steering input should always, always disengage autopilot. If you tried either of those and it still didn't disengage, then that should definitely be reported to Tesla. Otherwise, glad to hear that you're enjoying the car so much and that it is helping to open up expanded possibilities for you. Safe travels and Happy New Year.

My wife and I have a cottage booked near Nanaimo BC for 2 months. We left Ottawa Dec.27th and had to head to Detroit Michigan because Canada does not have enough chargers to stay on Canadian roads. The charging cable would not come out at one of the charges. Had to use the emergency cord in the trunk to release it. Nothing serious. Was driving down freeway on auto pilot and wipers started swiping at maximum speed. Car also would not let me release auto pilot. Did a quick soft re-boot and problems solved. Got caught in Chicago rush hour and let the car take me through the traffic. Had to charge more often then expected as temperature dipped into the minuses.(Got a little over 200miles per charge.] Ran into a blizzard in Wyoming and had to stop in Gillette for the night. Got up and ready to go but HYW was closed so had to stay and extra day which is where we are right now. We have travelled about 1700 miles and have another 1200 or so miles left. Will let you know when we get there and fill you in on how the rest of the trip went. Car is handling fantastic. Would not do this trip without auto pilot. I am 68 and not into driving long distances however with auto pilot I can relax and let the car do the driving.

First of all Happy New Year

I agree autopilot is nice long distance, was thinking about trip from GTA to Boston on my M3 this Christmas but put it off. I guess it’s no comparison to what you are doing esp during winter.

Finaly just fly there and here we are safe and sound in Boston :)

Drive safe and all the best to you and your family

Good for you going on an adventure!

Is it really an interesting enough trip to make it worth driving? I imagine lots of samey-looking highways? Personally I'd plump for a few hours and a few hundred bucks with Air Canada versus this trip, much as I love driving my Model 3.

Reactions: McFlurri
Happy New Year Grandpa D!

Thank you sharing your long distance long range Model 3 travel log with us! Would you be kind enough to post some pics? Remember the Millennial adage....."pics or it didn't happen."

Kidding aside, please be safe and keep us posted!

Hi all. I am still in Gillette Wyoming and am kinda stuck. I had to stay an extra day because the roads were closed because of snow. Went to unplug my car as I was charging on 120v and charging cable will not come out. Tried everything I could think of. Emergency pull cord, hair dryer for over an hour inside and out, heated the car up to 25c for about an hour and still would not come out. Now have to book another night. Called Tesla and service will call us tomorrow as everyone off New Years day. We are way north so might take a day or 2 for them to get here. I will keep trying until they show up and will try anything you throw at me. Thank You Stranded Don.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
Hi all. I am still in Gillette Wyoming and am kinda stuck. I had to stay an extra day because the roads were closed because of snow. Went to unplug my car as I was charging on 120v and charging cable will not come out. Tried everything I could think of. Emergency pull cord, hair dryer for over an hour inside and out, heated the car up to 25c for about an hour and still would not come out. Now have to book another night. Called Tesla and service will call us tomorrow as everyone off New Years day. We are way north so might take a day or 2 for them to get here. I will keep trying until they show up and will try anything you throw at me. Thank You Stranded Don.

Sorry to hear that. Can you hear the locking tab trying to retract if you press the button on the handle or in the app? I've had the frozen locking tab a few times now and putting down the back seat then heating the car at HI for 1-2 hours sorted it. Maybe this isn't the frozen locking tab though.

Reactions: ElectricCanuck