Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from Richmond to Southport, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking the wife and kids to Bald Head Island at the beginning of July. Would love to take my new MS, but I'm getting stuck on charging stations.

I can do Richmond to Rocky Mount easy. From Rocky Mount to Southport, it's about 140-150 miles. That means I can get down there, but can't get back. The wife won't accept the idea of using a J1772 and waiting a few hours to get enough charge to make it to Rocky Mount. The only way she'll agree to taking it is if we hit Rocky Mount on the way down and the way back with no other recharging stops.

The car will be at the Southport ferry station all week (they don't allow cars on BHI). Does anyone know if the Southport ferry has any kind of charging capabilities I might be able to use? Even at 3mph charging, the car will sit there a full week.

I selfishly posted this on the Southeast threads too...

You only need to plug into a slow 110v outlet, since you'll be gone all week. It will charge to 90% within a day or two. I would try to find someone to park it with someone that will be willing to make sure it's plugged in for the week and set your charge to 90%. Most likely, set the amperage to something low... like 8 or 9 amps which will make it less likely that voltage sag or other usage on the line will bump your charging.

You will want to almost range charge @ Rocky Mount on the way down. 180 miles. You can hit Lumberton if you find any problems, as that's only 90 miles from Southport. As long as you keep your speed in check, it won't be a problem returning with a 90% charge.

Last edited:
Call the ferry station and ask if they have any available wall outlet near parking. 110V is more than enough for a week.

If the ferry station fails, try some nearby restaurants, if there are any. Ask if you can park your car there for a week and plug into the wall--let them know you'll be bringing your family to eat if so.

You can also go to street view on Google maps to look for candidate locations.

If anyone starts to answer in the negative, offer to pay for the electricity (even a little extra). You should be able to find something usable nearby.

By the way, if someone gives you permission, get their name and title. It will come in handy if you get there and someone tries to refuse you access.

Good luck and enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Also call that Deep Point Marina literally next to the ferry station. Marinas typically bave power access for boats. You might be able to park near the end of the pier and plug in.

Here's a potential(?) plug at the marina from a quick scout out using Google maps Street View. Of course you need to call them to verify and get permission, but chances are good to find an outlet, I'd think.

image.jpg

One more tip: If there's a parking spot with an outlet, ask if they'll block it off with a cone to reserve it for your arrival.