Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from Seattle area to Mt. Rainer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the Seattle area 2 weeks ago on a road trip from Los Angeles to Seattle. We decided to take our BMW X5 instead of the Model Y, since we wanted to explore areas outside of Seattle proper. Has any member here from the Seattle area that has taken their Model Y up to Mt. Rainier? I did not see any EV charging options driving around Mt. Rainier. Thanks.

Try RV Parky: RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos

Not all park facilities, campsite, campgrounds and lodges around Mt. Rainier National Park are open due to Covid-19 restrictions.

Found the Mounthaven Campground (11 miles from the park): Mt. Rainier Camping - Mounthaven Resort (Ashford, WA) It has RV sites with 30A and some with 20A so you would need to purchase the TT-30 plug adapter for the Tesla Mobile Connector. You can purchase a TT-30 plug adapter from EVSE Adapters: EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Try RV Parky: RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos

Not all park facilities, campsite, campgrounds and lodges around Mt. Rainier National Park are open due to Covid-19 restrictions.

Found the Mounthaven Campground (11 miles from the park): Mt. Rainier Camping - Mounthaven Resort (Ashford, WA) It has RV sites with 30A and some with 20A so you would need to purchase the TT-30 plug adapter for the Tesla Mobile Connector. You can purchase a TT-30 plug adapter from EVSE Adapters: EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.
Hi jcanoe; thanks for the feedback. I was looking to see anyone did a same day drive up and back to Mt. Rainier on a full charge Model Y in the summer.

I just dove my 2 week old MY from Federal Way ( 1 mile from sound, elevation 100 ft), to Sunrise on north side of Mt Rainier (77 miles 1 way, elevation 6400 ft). Started at 92%, got to visitor center with 52%. Regen braking all the way down, got home with 41%. Awesome not having to ride the brakes all the way down as in gas car. Used ABRP and predicted getting there with 50% and getting home with 33% so regenerate was better than prediction. Had AC on most of the time as wife hates heat.
6F6B4AD7-6CBB-4254-A05A-7EF4A294A252.jpeg

I just dove my 2 week old MY from Federal Way ( 1 mile from sound, elevation 100 ft), to Sunrise on north side of Mt Rainier (77 miles 1 way, elevation 6400 ft). Started at 92%, got to visitor center with 52%. Regen braking all the way down, got home with 41%. Awesome not having to ride the brakes all the way down as in gas car. Used ABRP and predicted getting there with 50% and getting home with 33% so regenerate was better than prediction. Had AC on most of the time as wife hates heat.
View attachment 682833
Hi bruce, thanks for the feedback. Good to know you did not have to charge when you arrived at Sunrise. I drove up to Paradise center in the BMW X5 and on the way down, I was riding the brakes hard. With 100% full charge, I wonder if I could drive around Mt. Rainier and go out the other entrances without range anxiety.

View attachment 682833
Now that's a 'cool' -- I mean literally cool photo!

Hi bruce, thanks for the feedback. Good to know you did not have to charge when you arrived at Sunrise. I drove up to Paradise center in the BMW X5 and on the way down, I was riding the brakes hard. With 100% full charge, I wonder if I could drive around Mt. Rainier and go out the other entrances without range anxiety.

Looks totally doable to me based on the distance in Supercharge.info

Plug your route into A Better Routeplanner and find out.

848A1FEB-229A-4038-A6ED-FD4DECA45011.jpeg

I have a MYSR and ABRP really isn't sure of the best way to do Mt. Rainier. It keeps routing me through Lacey on the way back to charge - I'm assuming that ABRP doesn't assume any recharge from regen braking? Does it factor in elevation in its calculations?

I have a MYSR and ABRP really isn't sure of the best way to do Mt. Rainier. It keeps routing me through Lacey on the way back to charge - I'm assuming that ABRP doesn't assume any recharge from regen braking? Does it factor in elevation in its calculations?

Yes - it factors in all of that stuff. That’s the whole point of ABRP.

Be sure to adjust the advanced settings for weather, wind and preferred speed as they can make a big difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
View attachment 682833
What do you use in ABRP for your reference consumption. I just did a road trip from Phoenix to Moab, UT to Denver. Then went Denver to Durango to Phoenix coming back. At first, ABRP was really conservative and way off using the reference consumption it determines itself from the car, but if I manually overwrote it down to 250 wh/mi it was very close to slightly conservative.

I’m curious if you had similar experience.

Reactions: pusheen