Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from SF to LA over July 4th weekend. Least crowded SC along the way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning a drive from SF to LA over the long weekend. I've heard lots of stories of certain SC being full and having a wait, so we'd like to avoid those. Can someone recommend least crowded SC along the route so we can just charge and go?

We are planning a drive from SF to LA over the long weekend. I've heard lots of stories of certain SC being full and having a wait, so we'd like to avoid those. Can someone recommend least crowded SC along the route so we can just charge and go?

I just did a SJ to Buena Park trip this weekend. I routed the trip with abetterrouteplanner.com and it was pretty damn accurate.

I left SJ with a full charge, stopped at Kettleman for lunch, Tejon for a 15 minute charge (enough time to walk to Wendy's, buy a chocolate shake and walk back to the car) then made it to my hotel near Knotts Berry Farm with 19% remaining.

I just did a SJ to Buena Park trip this weekend. I routed the trip with abetterrouteplanner.com and it was pretty damn accurate.

I left SJ with a full charge, stopped at Kettleman for lunch, Tejon for a 15 minute charge (enough time to walk to Wendy's, buy a chocolate shake and walk back to the car) then made it to my hotel near Knotts Berry Farm with 19% remaining.
Thanks, that's a great data point and pretty close to my actual route (Fremont to Arcadia). Should I be worried about getting a spot at Tejon? I keep hearing bad things about it like long lines to wait for a stall and parking getting ICEd. Wondering if that is still the case?

Thanks, that's a great data point and pretty close to my actual route (Fremont to Arcadia). Should I be worried about getting a spot at Tejon? I keep hearing bad things about it like long lines to wait for a stall and parking getting ICEd. Wondering if that is still the case?

@xanatos : You probably only need to stop once at Kettleman City. From there you should make it to Arcadia without issue. I occasionally drive from San Jose to San Diego and with my S85 have only needed to stop twice (Kettleman City & Redondo Beach). Safe travels!

Reactions: xanatos
@xanatos : You probably only need to stop once at Kettleman City. From there you should make it to Arcadia without issue. I occasionally drive from San Jose to San Diego and with my S85 have only needed to stop twice (Kettleman City & Redondo Beach). Safe travels!
wow that's pretty amazing. I thought you lose a lot of range going over the grapevine due to the incline. but I guess it doesn't eat up as much range as I thought?

wow that's pretty amazing. I thought you lose a lot of range going over the grapevine due to the incline. but I guess it doesn't eat up as much range as I thought?

I did a trip last week over the grapevine, starting at Tejon Ranch and ending in Anaheim. Per Teslafi I averaged 295 wh/mi for that leg of the trip, using 33.7 kWh. MS 75 RWD. TACC set at 78 most of the way, minimal traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: shaark and xanatos
I recommend using the EV-TO app to determine just how much energy you are going to use. See Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

Depending on your freeway speed it is possible you will only need to charge once, and I think Kettleman City is the best place for that.

My guess, without consulting the app, is that if you go around 75 or faster you will need to charge twice. If you go around 70 or slower you may only need to charge once. Try the app, it’s excellent. And of course also use the in-car nav, it will likely route you via I5 which is the shortest way and it will suggest charging stops. But I bet it recommends more than one. That doesn’t mean you need to only make one stop. Check EV-TO.

My guess, without consulting the app, is that if you go around 75 or faster you will need to charge twice. If you go around 70 or slower you may only need to charge once.

Ahhh.... but you WILL need to do 75 (at least).

I would avoid the Bakersfield SC (Personally think Tesla should close and relocate). Kettlemen City - a must see!!! Remember the Nav tells you how many stalls are available - BUT - it always errs on the good side. (meaning it says more are busy than actually are)

Definitely recommend Buttonwillow as a stop before the Grapevine (if nav says you will need to stop).
It seems to be less favored by folks (not the best food options), but if all you need is electrons, it is less likely to have a line of Teslas.

For future reference or new Tesla owners:

Kettleman City is awesome. I believe there's an In N Out there as I saw people with a bag, but you have to drive there as the actual Supercharger lot is tucked up way up a side street next to this abandoned gas station. Lounge chairs are comfy. There's a lot of fake grass areas for dogs, including a fake hydrant with doggie bags and trash can (some jerks still didn't pick up after their dogs who went about 5 feet away from the hydrant patch). There's also a spigot low to the ground if you keep walking around the fake grass that your dog can drink from. WiFi speeds were 250+ mbps. I stopped here both on the way down and back up. Has a couple of stations with squeegees to wash your windows, but they're at the outskirts. Barista leaves at 8 PM. Men's restroom has two stalls and two urinals.

Tejon Ranch is next to a Firehouse Sub. You use their restroom I think.

Gustine is in the back of Anderson's Pea Soup. It's really hard to see. Lots of big rigs like to park around there blocking the view of the Superchargers. They're also located by the dumpsters and it's really smelly and the road is all ripped up. Feral cats around. Not a pleasant place to stop, although I do love the split pea soup at the restaurant. If you're on your way to the Bay Area, avoid this if you can. If heading towards Sacramento, unless you want to take a detour to the Manteca location, this is it until the Sacramento spot opens. From Kettleman City at a stated 300 mile range, it estimated me at 5% to the Roseville supercharger. I didn't want to risk it. Or drive 75 mph or less. So, if you go... above that... you'll probably need to do a quick stop at Gustine to be safe. Not sure where you'd use the restroom. The restaurant I guess?

Gilroy has lots of chargers, and I think is sort of near an In N Out. It's at the outlet malls and is right next to some cheap motel. Unlike the ones along the 5 freeway, people at the Gilroy stop tend to just park there Teslas there (not charging). Was the only full one I encountered. For restrooms, either walk really far to the outlet restrooms by Banana Republic (in the food court) or walk out to In N Out.

Last edited:
My guess, without consulting the app, is that if you go around 75 or faster you will need to charge twice. If you go around 70 or slower you may only need to charge once.

Try to go 70 on the 5 and semis will be passing you by.

On my trip most recent trip we stopped at 3 chargers. Tejon ranch is right next to firehouse subs but a decent walk to the gas station or starbucks. Kettleman city lounge is nice, but pretty far away from anything other than a ghetto carls jr. We got take in n out drive thru and ate in the supercharger lounge. Hollister supercharger is by casa de fruta and we ended up spending a bunch of $ of fruit in lieu of gas.

I routinely arrived with about 5 to 8% less range than the nav would initially predict. I drove around 80 to 85. Just something to keep in mind as i arrived in monterey with 4% charge instead of the 12% predicted initially by nav from Kettleman. :confused:

Last edited:
I routinely arrived with about 5 to 8% less range than the nav would initially predict. I drove around 80 to 85. Just something to keep in mind as i arrived in monterey with 4% charge instead of the 12% predicted initially by nav from Kettleman. :confused:
That is why I think I will miss the charge prediction graph of my S when I get my 3. I look at it all the time to adjust my speed based on predicted arrival charge level. It is VERY handy!