Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from SF to LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Roadster charger at Harris was installed by a private owner. He is OK with someone else paying for a J connector on it but as a Roadster only driver I'm happy we have the exclusive option. Sound like 10 MS spaces would negate the need anyway.

Took factory delivery Saturday 22nd and took a quick break in Gilroy (2 cars charging) for breakfast. (should have charged up enough to bypass Harris ranch!). Got to Harris ranch needing 30 more miles of range only to find I was the 4th S in line to charge (only one charger). Waited about 90 min for the charger took a sip (15min) and proceeded to Tejon. (no cars charging). It does take more time to put miles into the battery as you approach full charge. It would be nice if the HPC Tesla charger located there was converted to J1772. It is about the only one left in the wild. They might make up an adapter for the S that could be kept behind the counter.

Going north to Seattle, there are a number of Tesla HPCs with the proprietary Roadster connector. There will be plenty of Model S options (such as the Supercharger).

I did the drive home yesterday and took the conservative approach as suggested about. I got a full range charge at Gilroy (270 miles showing when I left). I drove conservatively to Harris Ranch (about 70mph). When I got the Harris Ranch there was one car charging (he just plugged in and had 30 more minutes) and another car waiting. I just took a quick bathroom break and then got on the road to Tejon Ranch. I drafted behind a truck going about 63mhp and my range meter said I had about a 20 mile cushion while driving. Once I got within 20 miles of Tejon Ranch I decided I could burn up some excess energy and left the truck behind and jumped in with the 80+ mph crowd in the fast lane. I got the Tejon Ranch with 7 miles of range left. There were three other cars there when I arrived. I charged for about 25 minutes and left with 140 miles of charge to make the 70 miles left to home. So the moral of the story is, get a full range charge at Tejon Ranch or Gilroy (depending on if you are going North or South) and then you can skip Harris Ranch if there is a wait.

I did the drive home yesterday and took the conservative approach as suggested about. I got a full range charge at Gilroy (270 miles showing when I left). I drove conservatively to Harris Ranch (about 70mph). When I got the Harris Ranch there was one car charging (he just plugged in and had 30 more minutes) and another car waiting. I just took a quick bathroom break and then got on the road to Tejon Ranch. I drafted behind a truck going about 63mhp and my range meter said I had about a 20 mile cushion while driving. Once I got within 20 miles of Tejon Ranch I decided I could burn up some excess energy and left the truck behind and jumped in with the 80+ mph crowd in the fast lane. I got the Tejon Ranch with 7 miles of range left. There were three other cars there when I arrived. I charged for about 25 minutes and left with 140 miles of charge to make the 70 miles left to home. So the moral of the story is, get a full range charge at Tejon Ranch or Gilroy (depending on if you are going North or South) and then you can skip Harris Ranch if there is a wait.

That's awesome! Thanks, DrComputer. What was your rated range when you got to Harris Ranch?

Looks like i'm definitely going to have to charge at Harris Ranch since I won't be charging in Gilroy, and I want to average 70mph for the whole trip.

That's awesome! Thanks, DrComputer. What was your rated range when you got to Harris Ranch?

Looks like i'm definitely going to have to charge at Harris Ranch since I won't be charging in Gilroy, and I want to average 70mph for the whole trip.
I had 138 miles when I got to Harris Ranch and it is 112 miles from Harris Ranch to Tejon Ranch. If you want to drive at 70+ mph you will be forced to stop at Harris Ranch.

I hope the line at Harris Ranch won't be too bad tomorrow. I'm super nervous because I know I have to charge at Harris Ranch, and there's only one supercharger. My mom went to Tesla at Menlo Park today to see if they had any adapters to charge the Model S using the Roadster's charger, but it's on back-order :(

Ugh, I know I'm going to get a lot of bugs on my car. I'm probably going to take my car to a coin-op car wash and wash it myself.

The drive was epic. I can't believe how awesome it was! I was mostly concerned with the single supercharger station at Harris Ranch, but there was no one there both ways. I started with a Max Range charge in San Francisco (265 rated range). Got to Harris Ranch with 66 miles left and charged for 20 minutes and left the ranch with 160 range. Got to Tejon Ranch with 20 miles. I was definitely cutting it close. Charged for 30 minutes and headed to LA with 170 miles range. I averaged 70 mph the whole way except going over the Grapevine.

The drive back was a little more hectic because the longest leg was Harris Ranch to SF, which meant having almost a full charge at Harris Ranch to get to SF. I left Harris Ranch with 235 miles of range and got to SF with 35 miles left.

The drive down to LA and back was basically free :)

SF to Harris Ranch = 185 miles
Harris Ranch to Tejon Ranch = 125 miles
Tejon Ranch to LA Live = 85 miles
Total = ~400 miles

Here are some pics from my phone:

Harris Ranch:

harris_ranch_1_large_enhanced_zps0be506b1.jpg

harris_ranch_2_large_enhanced_zps2624cdab.jpg

Tejon Ranch:

tejon_ranch_1_large_enhanced_zpsc2227ef2.jpg

tejon_ranch_2_large_enhanced_zps24d85af0.jpg

tejon_ranch_3_large_enhanced_zps67cc80ad.jpg

Starting to get excited about receiving one of the first 60kwh packs. As the reality begins to set in that my model s is almost here, I am really starting to wonder if we 60kwh guys will be able to make the drive from the Bay Area to LA. The EPA has an estimated range of 209 miles.

The longest leg of my trip will be from San Jose to Harris Ranch - approx 141 miles. I dont see any point in stopping in Gilroy because my battery should be mostly full and it will take far too long to top off. If I can make it directly from San Jose to Harris Ranch, then my battery will be at a very low SOC and therefore a SC will be much more efficient in terms of the time.

The real question I have is what SOC will be desired for the trip from Harris to Tejon and from Tejon to LA. Not sure I want to be the first person to get these data points, and not sure I want to be driving under 65mph on I-5.

From Green Race:
SanJose_HarrisRanch.jpg

Hi Darren

Just to clarify. You are quoting SF to Harris Ranch of 185 miles. I'm assuming you mean from your home in Los Altos Hills?

I also live on the Peninsula and am trying to figure out the details as of your journey. So you comfortably got to Harris Ranch from Los Altos Hills not "the city" proper, which would be another 35 miles longer.

SF to Harris Ranch = 185 miles

Hi Darren

Just to clarify. You are quoting SF to Harris Ranch of 185 miles. I'm assuming you mean from your home in Los Altos Hills?

I also live on the Peninsula and am trying to figure out the details as of your journey. So you comfortably got to Harris Ranch from Los Altos Hills not "the city" proper, which would be another 35 miles longer.
I traveled from Napa to Harris Ranch which is 209 miles. Had 45 rated miles upon arrival. Because it was my first long distance trip I drove very conservatively, staying at 5mph under the limit the whole way. Was concerned about the "cost" of the Altamont Pass stretch, but regen on the backside seemed to maintain the expected rated range. I found that doing 65mph in the 70mph was not a problem as the trucks basically are doing about 65mph. Does grate to get passed by a Prius, however.

Hi Darren

Nope, 185 miles from San Francisco to Harris Ranch. I went across the Bay Bridge to 580 to I-5. I wanted to avoid hwy 152.

Hi Darren

There are other places to charge.

Starting to get excited about receiving one of the first 60kwh packs. As the reality begins to set in that my model s is almost here, I am really starting to wonder if we 60kwh guys will be able to make the drive from the Bay Area to LA. The EPA has an estimated range of 209 miles.

The longest leg of my trip will be from San Jose to Harris Ranch - approx 141 miles. I dont see any point in stopping in Gilroy because my battery should be mostly full and it will take far too long to top off. If I can make it directly from San Jose to Harris Ranch, then my battery will be at a very low SOC and therefore a SC will be much more efficient in terms of the time.

The real question I have is what SOC will be desired for the trip from Harris to Tejon and from Tejon to LA. Not sure I want to be the first person to get these data points, and not sure I want to be driving under 65mph on I-5.

I'm also curious about this, and while I am quite confident that we can make it we shall see what real world circumstances are like. The main difference for us I think is that we'll need to get a nearly full charge if we want to keep up with traffic, which means hanging around superchargers for maybe a full hour instead of a half hour. No problem if we're stopping to eat anyways but mildly inconvenient if not.

The main difference for us I think is that we'll need to get a nearly full charge if we want to keep up with traffic, which means hanging around superchargers for maybe a full hour instead of a half hour.

My thoughts exactly. It's definitely going to take some extra time with a the smaller battery pack to ensure a high enough charge is reached. Hopefully Tesla gets around to installing a few more SC spots at current locations to prevent any bottlenecks. Has anyone heard any evidence of this?