Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from SF to LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owner, I made the trip down to southern Orange County from the Peninsula (Belmont) during the week of Christmas in my Performance Model S (85kWh). I had about 260 miles of range charge when I started, and made it to Harris Ranch with about 49 miles of range left. I did not drive conservatively the entire time, went with Range Mode turned on and drove pretty much like I would have in my ICE car. One of the most comfortable drives I've had down to SoCal in a long time.

What ev charge app is that you are using? It looks like a good one. I am in San Carlos and will also be making the trip to LA.

- - - Updated - - -

Giants2001,
My charge app question was for you. I am just figuring out how to use this forum. Thanks for any help.

What ev charge app is that you are using? It looks like a good one. I am in San Carlos and will also be making the trip to LA.

Hi Debbie and welcome. I actually used the following website http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/ . Definitely add it to your bookmarks! While it's not going to be 100% accurate, it is very useful for getting a rough idea of the energy you will be using on long trips.

Not a California guy but this website can be helpful: Green Race. You have to do some km to miles calculations and select the Model S 85. It allows you to factor in hills/elevation change, speed, passengers, etc.

Just tried this for a route I normally drive and I think the calcs are off. Going from my parents' house to my gym, its approximately 10.1 miles. However, it is also roughly 1,050 feet elevation change uphill. When I start out in my Karma at "50 miles ideal," when I get to the gym my rated range remaining is typically about 32 miles or so or roughly 62% of usable battery remaining (that's with minimal early morning traffic/traffic lights at about 40mph). Green Space calculates it at 75%.

I'm going to be making the same trip down to LA this afternoon. I doubt there will be any more supercharger stations at Harris Ranch, but I'll let you guys know. Last time was a lot of fun and I hope this time will be as interesting, but less stress. I just need to make sure I charge a little longer at Harris Ranch to make it to Tejon Ranch.

I'm going to be making the same trip down to LA this afternoon. I doubt there will be any more supercharger stations at Harris Ranch, but I'll let you guys know. Last time was a lot of fun and I hope this time will be as interesting, but less stress. I just need to make sure I charge a little longer at Harris Ranch to make it to Tejon Ranch.

I am thinking about making the same trip in two weeks. I would love to know how much i should charge if I wanted to drive at normal speeds and run the heat/AC. Also, did you use any of Super Chargers in LA area as well? I am worried about waiting in a line at Harris ranch where there is only one charger (as I recall).

Just remember there is a simple fix for the Harris Ranch bottleneck. Fill up FULLY at Gilroy and drive conservatively (65mph - follow a truck or camper) to Harris Ranch. If you get there and the charger is free, fill up and drive as fast as you like to Tejon Ranch. If there is a line, you can skip Harris Ranch and drive conservatively to Tejon Ranch on the same charge. I did it on New Year's eve and it worked perfectly.

Just remember there is a simple fix for the Harris Ranch bottleneck. Fill up FULLY at Gilroy and drive conservatively (65mph - follow a truck or camper) to Harris Ranch. If you get there and the charger is free, fill up and drive as fast as you like to Tejon Ranch. If there is a line, you can skip Harris Ranch and drive conservatively to Tejon Ranch on the same charge. I did it on New Year's eve and it worked perfectly.

great to know! need more advice... should i do a max charge at Tejon and visit the super charger in Hawthorne if I want to drive around? How many stalls do they have there? Also, with heat, what is considered conservative in mph with three people in the car?

great to know! need more advice... should i do a max charge at Tejon and visit the super charger in Hawthorne if I want to drive around? How many stalls do they have there? Also, with heat, what is considered conservative in mph with three people in the car?

Tejon Ranch and Hawthorne both have 4 chargers. The slower the better. Rated miles is at 55 mph. So it's best to keep it under 60 or follow a truck or camper (drafting) under 65.

This really sucks. Who wants to drive i-5 at 60-65mph in a luxury sedan that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds? And stop and wait to refuel! -the price of being early adopters.

How soon can we expect a battery that can get us from SF to LA at 70mph without range anxiety?

-just lamenting.

Amazing that these I-5 chargers are so busy already.

Tesla delivered over 500 Model S's in the Bay Area through 12/31/12. I believe that explains it.

- - - Updated - - -

This really sucks. Who wants to drive i-5 at 60-65mph in a luxury sedan that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds? And stop and wait to refuel! -the price of being early adopters.

How soon can we expect a battery that can get us from SF to LA at 70mph without range anxiety?

I did this trip in January with a different strategy. At 75mph, it takes 160 rated miles to travel the 115-120 miles between supercharger stations on I5. So I drove for 1 hour 40 minutes, and then charged for 45 minutes (yes, it does take that long to add 160 rated miles). I didn't attempt to skip any supercharger stations, other than Gilroy on the way south since I left Silicon Valley with a full range charge. The end result was 6 hours driving/1.5 hours charging on the trip south and 6 hours driving/ 2.5 hours charging/.75 hours waiting at Harris on the trip back north.