Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from SF to LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I created a "Route Energy Estimator" at http://RVTripPlanner.com/planner - it is in "beta test", but seems to do a pretty good job per my own testing. We'll be integrating weather into the calculations (wind, temperature), which should make it even better. I have also posted charts/tables/spreadsheets for range-vs-speed, electricity costs and other stuff at http://RVTripPlanner.com/calcs.php - let me know how your actuals vary with the predictions.

I believe you meant EVTripPlanner and EV Calculations :)

Tesla support, BTW, told us that we could make it to Tejon without charging, with 93 mi rated range!!

That's how much it should take at about 50 mph.

If at 70 mph it takes 135 miles rated range with 10 miles to spare, then that's 125 miles rated range. At 20 mph less, the range increases by a ratio of about 1:1.38 (compare 45 mph and 65 mph using Tesla's range calculator). 125 miles / 1.38 is 91 miles. So at 50 mph, 93 miles rated range should be just enough.

Traffic jam at Harris Ranch this evening. Looking forward to the installation of more superchargers at this location in the near future!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363572018.108832.jpg

For anyone who supercharged at Hawthorne for the drive north to Tejon, how many rated miles were used at what speed? I know the distance is 91 miles but just wondering how much cushion there is for a 60 kWh to make this trip heading up the Grapevine.

I left Hawthorne with 180 rated miles and drove between 70-80 the entire way to Tejon. I ended up with around 50 rated left on my 60kWh battery. I will add that it was very windy that day. The trip from Tejon to Harris was intense. Left with 180 rated and arrived with 25 rated while cruising 80mph. Wind is the definitely the biggest factor when it comes to range.

I left Hawthorne with 180 rated miles and drove between 70-80 the entire way to Tejon. I ended up with around 50 rated left on my 60kWh battery. I will add that it was very windy that day. The trip from Tejon to Harris was intense. Left with 180 rated and arrived with 25 rated while cruising 80mph. Wind is the definitely the biggest factor when it comes to range.
Wind, which includes wind created by speed. Anything over 70mph seriously sacrifices range.

I'd say your 60 did very well to have that much range left over considering the elevation climb and high speeds you were averaging.

giants2001 - did you go straight to the Gilroy supercharging stations after Harris Ranch? I would think Harris Ranch to Gilroy would be scarier since you have to go over hwy 152. Tejon Ranch to Harris Ranch is pretty flat.

Distance is 111 miles. With hills over 152, a 60 would probably need at least 180 rated miles leaving Harris Ranch to make it to Gilroy to have cushion unless you only do 65 mph on I-5 and have no AC. But with a full charge of 188+, should not be any problem unless he was doing 80 mph with the AC blasting.

giants2001 - did you go straight to the Gilroy supercharging stations after Harris Ranch? I would think Harris Ranch to Gilroy would be scarier since you have to go over hwy 152. Tejon Ranch to Harris Ranch is pretty flat.

Highway 152 is the best part of the drive ! Was going between 65-70 on the uphill and "slightly" faster on the down. Once you make it to the top of the pass then you are pretty much guaranteed to make it to Gilroy. This last trip I left Harris with 180 rated and got to Gilroy with 30 rated left. Again it was the first 60 miles on hwy5 with strong winds that chewed up the most energy.

Highway 152 is the best part of the drive ! Was going between 65-70 on the uphill and "slightly" faster on the down. Once you make it to the top of the pass then you are pretty much guaranteed to make it to Gilroy. This last trip I left Harris with 180 rated and got to Gilroy with 30 rated left. Again it was the first 60 miles on hwy5 with strong winds that chewed up the most energy.

Were you still pushing it to 80 on I-5 before getting off onto 152?