Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving from Toronto to Montreal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very disappointing to hear Doug...they had always been very supportive of EV's in the past...have stayed there a few times, and stopped to eat with a party of two or four many times...

I wonder why (some) BW seems to be "back-sliding" on this issue ?(not staying overnight)

This is getting to the point where (imo), we should be hearing something from Sun Country about this issue...

Warning to road-trippers: Cobourg Best Western is offline... and apparently now available to hotel guests only.

Very disappointing to hear Doug...they had always been very supportive of EV's in the past...have stayed there a few times, and stopped to eat with a party of two or four many times...

I wonder why (some) BW seems to be "back-sliding" on this issue ?(not staying overnight)

This is getting to the point where (imo), we should be hearing something from Sun Country about this issue...

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that it has to do with congestion. They probably had a paying guest who couldn't get to the station and complained. One solution might be to charge non-guests a nominal fee.

The Best Westerns in Milton and Orillia that I use from time to time seem to be maintaining their "free" policy, so I don't think it is a wider Best Western issue. I believe there is a BW in Peterborough that limits use to guests.

I think the SCH units that were donated only required free access for a year. If the owner purchased the units, they can do what they want with them. I purchased the two at my office from SCH and there is no restriction on whether I restrict them or charge for them. Don't worry... I don't plan on restricting or charging for use!

Indeed. While I've passed through Cobourg a few times - and spent money in their restaurant while waiting for charging - I've also stayed there more than once. And the only reason I picked that hotel was because they were supportive of EV drivers. Otherwise it never would have even occurred to me to stop in Cobourg.

I'd be fine with paying something for charging. I need to get where I'm going!

I don't believe the Best Western chargers were free, but I gather there was some kind of deal made that required them to provide free charging for a year.

I let Sun Country know about the brewing problems with the 401 corridor.

I agree Mike, the Orillia owners have been great! I have stayed there twice, and patronized their restaurant twice.

I think the individual BW owners who are restricting use would do well to realize that EVers make good use of forums and websites...their decisions may come back to haunt them (as other charge stations become available...)

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that it has to do with congestion. They probably had a paying guest who couldn't get to the station and complained. One solution might be to charge non-guests a nominal fee.

The Best Westerns in Milton and Orillia that I use from time to time seem to be maintaining their "free" policy, so I don't think it is a wider Best Western issue. I believe there is a BW in Peterborough that limits use to guests.

I think the SCH units that were donated only required free access for a year. If the owner purchased the units, they can do what they want with them. I purchased the two at my office from SCH and there is no restriction on whether I restrict them or charge for them. Don't worry... I don't plan on restricting or charging for use!

Warning to road-trippers: Cobourg Best Western is offline... and apparently now available to hotel guests only.

I got it to work yesterday. Here's a tip that probably applies to any public charger: If it's not working, but there is power to the charging station, try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the contacts of the J1772 connector, then wait a couple of minutes for it to dry and try it again (and push the handle in firmly). That has fixed a few bad connections for me in the past week, including the Cobourg Best Western. I carry the spray can all the time and it has come in handy many times. I'm not sure if the problem is moisture or dirt or corrosion, but the spray seems to solve it.

BTW, I let a Sun Country Highway guy know about this and he asked me to let the hotel manager know. I'll do that tomorrow, and I'll also ask about the Guest Only policy, and suggest a "guest priority" policy instead, or if they don't go for that, maybe guest priority plus a small honour-system fee for non-guests. Whenever I leave my car at a public charger, I always leave a card with my cell phone number on it. If a hotel guest needs the spot, they can always call me and work something out.

I got it to work yesterday. Here's a tip that probably applies to any public charger: If it's not working, but there is power to the charging station, try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the contacts of the J1772 connector, then wait a couple of minutes for it to dry and try it again (and push the handle in firmly). That has fixed a few bad connections for me in the past week, including the Cobourg Best Western. I carry the spray can all the time and it has come in handy many times. I'm not sure if the problem is moisture or dirt or corrosion, but the spray seems to solve it.

Moisture is a common problem, especially if the previous user was rude and didn't put the handle back in its holster, which protects it from the elements. If water gets in there it can cause a ground fault indication. Good tip about the contact cleaner.

BTW, I let a Sun Country Highway guy know about this and he asked me to let the hotel manager know. I'll do that tomorrow, and I'll also ask about the Guest Only policy, and suggest a "guest priority" policy instead, or if they don't go for that, maybe guest priority plus a small honour-system fee for non-guests. Whenever I leave my car at a public charger, I always leave a card with my cell phone number on it. If a hotel guest needs the spot, they can always call me and work something out.

Good idea... let us know what they say.

I just had a nice long chat with Lyle, co-owner of the Best Western in Cobourg. He said they'd get a can of the contact cleaner spray and make sure it's available whenever there seem to be moisture problems with the charging connector.

As for the guest-only sign, he said it came about due to an altercation between a guest with an EV and another non-guest EV driver who was charging and didn't want to move. Apparently the non-guest was rather stubborn and confrontational about it and this led to the sign saying guests only. He said that the vast majority of users of the charging station are just passing through, and most of them don't give any business to the hotel. The hotel is providing this service for free and they don't want it to be a time-consuming thing to manage.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, and he was a bit non-committal about the actual policy, but it sounded like they probably wouldn't kick someone out if they were using the charger and weren't a guest, as long as they were reasonable about it (moving if a guest comes along) and particularly if they were giving the hotel some business, such as eating in the restaurant. The sign will probably stay, so they can point at it if there is another dispute about who gets priority.

I tried to pass on a few messages: first, thanks on behalf of EV drivers for having the charging station; that most of us try hard to give some business to the companies who provide them by staying in their hotels or eating in their restaurants; that most EV drivers are quite reasonable and would happily work out a compromise that makes everyone happy if there is contention; and that most EV drivers would be happy to pay a reasonable fee if this helps keep the charging station available.

He was not particularly keen on charging money, since that would require hardware, software, a billing system, and more time than it's worth to them. I suggested an honour-system payment (a sign saying something like "Non-guests: $3/charge. Pay at front desk.") - I couldn't tell if he was interested in that option.

He seemed happy to hear the "EV driver's view" about all this, and he said they would discuss options and policies among the management.

Anyway, bottom line is that hotels, restaurants, etc. put charging stations in mostly to attract customers and secondarily to improve their reputation as a "green" company, so we should help them see that it's paying off by giving them our business, or at least our thanks and courtesy, when we use them, and recommending them to others when we can.

That's good to hear. I've talked to the owner of the hotel a few times - and given him a spin in my Roadster - and he was always very friendly and helpful. I've always made a point of eating in the restaurant on every visit - and staying there on a couple of occasions, when I might have stayed elsewhere.

Bad to hear, though, about the obnoxious entitlement attitude of that particular EV owner. He's not helping the cause at all.