TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Driving Gloves?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Ceilidh, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

I saw a brief discussion of this on another thread, but it got dropped before an answer was given, and I have not heard from current Model S owners so I am going to ask this in another way.

Most cars come with a "glove box." Presumably, this is first and foremost a place to put one's driving gloves.

However, I have never owned driving gloves. But thinking back to the movie Drive, they looked pretty damned badass. So maybe I'm missing out. Apparently all drivers in years gone by had to have them and that is why all cars have a glove box. I have always assumed this was a holdover terminology from way back when cars were not heated and one had to always wear gloves on cold days.

Recently, I brought this up to a friend of mine who is a sports car collector and weekend car racer, and he said that he often wears driving gloves because they improve his grip on the wheel and he just likes they way they feel.

So to get to my question:

Does the touchscreen work with driving gloves on? If not, why have a glove box that is referred to as a glove box rather than a storage compartment, or some other terminology?

Are there going to be Tesla-branded driving gloves that work with the screen?

I'm just posing the question. Please discuss. Thank you for any responses. I would particularly like to hear from any current model S owners who have tried to use the touchscreen with traditional driving gloves on.

Now, I do realize that there are driving gloves with no finger tips and that would potentially make this a moot point. But for purists out there who like full gloves--what is the deal?

Cheers.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The touchscreen is capacitive, so it will not work with standard gloves on.

You can get gloves with a conductive fingertips for use with capacitive touchscreens.
    Amazon.com: touch screen gloves

Or you can take whatever gloves and put these conductive pins in the tips to use with a touchscreen.
    Amazon.com: Quirky Digits Mini Conductive Pins (4-Pack): Electronics

For driving, though, I tend to use open finger gloves, so that wouldn't be an issue (as you noted).
    Damascus D22S Leather Driving Gloves Half-Finger Unlined,Large - Amazon.com

Some Tesla branded driving gloves isn't a bad idea.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Yea, that would be nice if they're not too expenseive...like that wallet on the web site.
    Tire Tread Wallet Tesla Motors $125

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

There are driving gloves made with special finger tips that work with touch screens. I think a search will lead you to them.

I have several pairs of driving gloves but I almost never use them except on very cold days before the my car's interior heats up.

5. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

I have lived in MA in the winter and Phoenix AZ in the summer. In neither location did I ever use driving gloves, although a few times they would have come in handy. This is not really a big issue IMHO, more of a curiosity. I really can't speak at all about if they improve grip on the wheel or not, although I can see how they would in certain circumstances.

Once the Tesla phone app is released and we can set the temp in the car 15 minutes before we get in it, perhaps there won't be much use for driving gloves.

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If you like to just use the seat heaters in winter, then driving gloves would be handy. Bicycling gloves have open fingers and are reasonably priced.

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I wear driving gloves if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of fast shifting. Not really an issue with most EVs.

8. efusco

9. William13

William13 Member

I bought three pairs of winter gloves that are capacitive during spring clearance sales. They are marketed towards people using them for their cell phones: some have silver looking wires, some have a strange texture to them, and others look normal except having thick index finger pads. I don't know if I will use them or not this winter. We will experience cold screens and fingers soon.

Personally I am a wreck waiting for my car and having a chance to see if I needed the special gloves or not. The open finger driving gloves would work too, but I think they may be referring to golf ball drivers rather than cars.

10. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Just found these on uncrate.com and I think that I may ask for a pair for christmas (my wife always complains that I never ask for anything for christmas). They look comfortable and are pretty attractive.

http://www.mujjo.com/leather-touchscreen-gloves

11. efusco

Yipes, 129 Euro!

12. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Lol, yes, but I'll get yelled at if I ask for a $9.99 pair of gloves for christmas.

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

These gloves just got added to my Christmas wish list. Between my iPhone and my Model S, these will be very useful.

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I use a pair of unlined, thin lambskin driving gloves. To my surprise, I have no trouble manipulating the console screen wearing them. They're not especially designed for touchscreens.

15. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I wear driving gloves during this season because my hands get cold. My cashmere lined leather gloves (given to me by my mother for Christmas a few years ago) don't work with the Tesla touch screen. Here's another option.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81347?promo=search

16. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Well, Hammacher was sold out of my size, so I ordered an identical-looking pair from Orvis. Bonus points for Orvis for also offering them in brown.

Apparently, this leather is called "TouchTec", and sold to a number of different companies to produce gloves in different styles.

17. kr200

kr200 Member

I discovered that cheap wool gloves work with the touch screen(eg Walmart $1).

18. kbeckley

kbeckley Member

I emailed ownership yesterday that they should sell Tesla branded gloves that work on the touchscreen. I found a pair of north face gloves that are made specifically for touch screens (work well) but I care about advertising (branding) on the clothes I wear and don't like having their logo so prominent. I would happily sport a pair of gloves with the Tesla 'T'. I suggested that they include on set in the cold weather package as a fun perk. Also I suggested Tesla sell branded driving gloves for the summer that also worked on the touch screen.

19. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I picked up a cheap capacitive touch stylus/pen that works well no matter what gloves I have on. The one I got is a combination touch stylus, pen, laser pointer, and LED flashlight for under $5.

It isn't as nice as the Wacom Bamboo, but I just needed it for hitting the relatively large targets on the Model S touchscreen.

20. john01

john01 Member

LL Bean carries tech gloves. They work great with my MS 17" screen.