Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have it in my Sig, but loved it in a recent loaner. I used it for 40 miles of a 50 mile commute in stop-and-go traffic on 495 (DC), 95 and 695 (Baltimore) - flawless.
I used to live in that area (from Annapolis) and the one thing I don't miss a bit about the Baltimore/Washington area is the traffic! If I were still in that area, I'd consider TACC to be an absolute necessity to avoid daily road rage! Just thinking about 495 makes me cringe a little.

My very first car was a 1986 Lincoln Town Car. It had cruise control (or at least it had the cruise control hardware and software). You could turn the CC on, set the speed, coast, and purportedly turn it off all from the steering wheel. According to the manual, a light tap on the brake pedal would also disengage the cruise control.

Great! This would come in handy on the long trips between college and home (didn't use it any prior to college). So there I am, going down 85 happily cruising at my set speed when I see traffic stopped up ahead.

I hit the "off" button... nothing.
I tap the brakes... nothing.
I hit the "coast" button... nothing.

By this point I'm approaching the traffic and would have liked to already be under braking. So I do the only thing I can think of and *stand* on the brake pedal.

I literally feel the cruise control disengage and then the car instantly goes into brake lock (no anti-lock, disc front and drum rear).

Luckily, there was no incident and the only damage was the streaks left by my tires (and maybe in my underwear!). I did get some curious looks though.

As such, I've... avoided using cruise control ever since.

That being said, I LOVE TACC. It was great on our trip to NC. It's great in Maryland traffic. It's great and has only gotten better. It's also a huge "wow" factor to passengers. My friend who drove down to NC with me acclimated to using it almost immediately and almost preferred driving the car under TACC to full control (almost).

I find TACC invaluable for my Los Angeles area commute. While my previous car had a similar feature (Cadillac) it was useless under 25 as it disengaged an relied on the driver to start it up again. I do worry that I may become more distracted while using it. But after putting 1000 miles on with daily use of TACC, it's been reliable enough that my foot isn't hovering over the brake pedal all the time.