Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving high speed on the Autobahn...not possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
German roads have a pecking order, where the fastest are allowed to cruise at relatively high speed when safe and prudent to do so.
Because of this, German cars are often developed to allow continous high speed cruising. Gas mileage goes way down, tire wear goes way up, accidents are much more dramatic, but it was built into their culture.

Times are quickly changing there. Strong push back against the arrogant rich who can afford high powered Mercedes, BMW and Audi capable of dominating these lanes.

Speed limits are going into most of these roads, speed cameras make it expensive, poorer road maintenance and significant traffic increases make areas of un-limited speeds less every year.

Strong ego's fueled by high salaries making some feel entitled to do this are having their wings clipped.

I got a big fine for speeding on an unlimited stretch of the AutoStrata. Went quickly through a short tunnel, and found the Politze waiting at the exit to flag me down. They took my credit card on the spot and sent me on my way. My Alfa felt strong and stable at those high speeds.

Fortunately, nobody has ever mistaken the 405 in Los Angeles for the Autobahn....if you can get sustained speeds of 12 mph you're cruising.

What’s really sad is how many hours per week in SoCal this is absolutely accurate.

It took me 3 hours to get out of LA last weekend. Distance traveled? 103 miles to the Cabazon SC. All highway, and that was the best of 3-4 available exit routes. As an aside, imagine if there was an evacuation. Here’s a Los Angeleno’s evacuation preparedness kit: cold beer and a lawn chair. Just enjoy the view.

So cry me a river with yer 200-250km/h adventures, youse who have great roads and sensible traffic management.

*shakes green fist of wistful envy*

Since Porsche is going to be the superhero here - Even once Porsche solves the heating problem, there is still the range problem.

The high speed autobahn cruisers don’t get anywhere near their rated mpg or km/L at top speed. An extra stop at a gas station solves this for an ICE. Battery will need more capacity, faster charging, or both.

Sure, maybe a gearbox will help optimize motor RPM for some improvement, but I feel that is pretty minor based on my reading.

Maybe the Germans can install inductive charging into the autobahn. :)

What’s really sad is how many hours per week in SoCal this is absolutely accurate.

It took me 3 hours to get out of LA last weekend. Distance traveled? 103 miles to the Cabazon SC. All highway, and that was the best of 3-4 available exit routes. As an aside, imagine if there was an evacuation. Here’s a Los Angeleno’s evacuation preparedness kit: cold beer and a lawn chair. Just enjoy the view.

So cry me a river with yer 200-250km/h adventures, youse who have great roads and sensible traffic management.

*shakes green fist of wistful envy*

At those speeds they should just install a bike lane on the 405. :p

In the Seattle area we do have a couple of bike trails near freeways, and it wasn't for some unnecessary intersections I'd totally beat rushhour freeway traffic on my bike.

Of course it's a pedal assist bike capable of assist up to 28mph.

One of the issues in this case is that a liter of diesel has an equivalent of 10 kWh of energy. A good autobahn cruiser these days have 70 litres tanks.
Effiency of a diesel engine is around 40% so I guess a diesel cruiser will have around 3 times the energy carrying capacity of a Tesla. A tesla 100D carries around an equialent of only 10 litres of diesel!
BTW in 130-160 km/h, overheating is not an issue.

I grew up in Germany and tried to drive faster than 200 km/h many times. It is very difficult to find the right Autobahn that allows driving that fast safely for an extended period of time. Finding a day and time that has no traffic for this to be possible is even harder on top of that. If you can show me a road and time of the day where you can maintain 250 km/h for 15 minutes please let me know. I would love to know. So the scenario is extremely rare and unrealistic.
Yes energy consumption is very high because the air drag is humongous at that speed. Just how physics works.

I grew up in Germany and tried to drive faster than 200 km/h many times. It is very difficult to find the right Autobahn that allows driving that fast safely for an extended period of time. Finding a day and time that has no traffic for this to be possible is even harder on top of that. If you can show me a road and time of the day where you can maintain 250 km/h for 15 minutes please let me know. I would love to know. So the scenario is extremely rare and unrealistic.
Yes energy consumption is very high because the air drag is humongous at that speed. Just how physics works.

Several years ago was the last time I visited Deutschland but the section from Bremen to Cuxhaven was fairly good at allowing you to travel more than 15 min at high speed, especially the section north of Bremerhaven.

Sooo,
After hours and hours of unsuccessfully trying to find a single post or thread about driving high speeds on the Autobahn ( or wherever else you one can do it), I decided to take a P100D on the Autobahn.
The results were devastating. Driving higher speeds with the Tesla is a sad affair. First, it barely makes it to 250 km/h, in fact it doesn’t. Then, after approx 15 minutes, it throttles you down to 220, then 200, and so on. Power consumption is astronomical, too, obviously. You’re not going anywhere at higher speeds.

Now, I understand that the market of owners who drive their Teslas at speeds of 200+ is small, but never less, this demographic has a right to know that it’s basically impossible to do so in a Tesla.
So if you’re thinking of buying a Tesla to use it to drive fast on routes like Nuernberg - Munich, forget about it. It ain’t happening. I just wish Tesla would have been more upfront about it...
Many of us have posted about this before, but the direct full-blown test was never directly posted. Thank you for taking it to its ultimate. Most of us who were paying attention could have predicted the results, however. My 2016 S75 (SW S60) could not maintain 116mph for more than a few minutes. It couldn't maintain 112mph without acting like it was mad at me for it. 110mph made it feel beleagered. I had a Mercedes S500 that did fine at 125MPH and 130MPH for hours on end, with it happy to do it, never giving a hint of feeling stressed, with the only impedement being the quality of the tires, suspension, and alignment (basically it was expensive to get it up to proper maintenance level); the engine felt like it was in its happiest state at 130MPH, hinting that it preferred to do more. However, if I downgraded the driving in my MB S500 to 117MPH, the suspension maintenance requirements were a lot more forgiving, and the engine was just bored with me at that speed, and wanted to keep going forever. It was also super comfortable, refined, slick, and quiet.

The Tesla is a bag of rattling bolts in comparison. Think Toyota. All noise and disobedience, no speed.

The only thing I wasn't sure of was what would happen with an air-ride equipped SP100D compared to my spring suspension S60(75)D. Now, I know the answer. It seems about what it would be in a 100 (better, but still not in the same league as a refined ICE).

Yes, Tesla can outdragstrip most cough cars, but in terms of refined excellence for long distance high speed driving, quite frankly, there aren't many roads of that nature in the world, and very few cars made for them. That's just something you have to accept with Tesla. Look elsewhere for that type of vehicle. For most roads, Tesla is fine. For the very few, ...... we have yet more to strive for. Life is interesting!

Remeber, it's early days yet in the modern EV industry. We'll see some capable cars in the upper ranges yet in the next two decades, before self driving is required. Just check it every year or so, and you'll find them. I suspect the 2020 Tesla Roadster to most likely be among them due to its higher all-around performance engineering stats. It's that simple!

I can't for the life of me see how anybody disagrees with your fact-based post. That's insane.
Hrm? A friend told me he can drive even a lowly Model S85 and S90 at 125 mph (200 km/h) for fairly long distances in flat empty states. Now, granted, that's at the low end of yer parameters.

My friend likes to live and to preserve domestic harmony, so has no opinion or experience with 155 mph (250 km/h), although that would certainly be the domain of a P car and not an S if memory serves.

Will be intriguing once the P3(DL) arrives both here and in Europe to see if the restrictions you've noted still hold.
That seems to suggest that if I had an S85 or S90 instead of an S75(S60), and kept my speed to 125MPH, that I'd be fine, but I was limited to 112MPH and only for a max of a few minutes, all along the car complaining, rather than telling me it had no problem going higher (like in my MB); (75/85)*125=110, so perhaps the magic number is 110MPH for S75, 125MPH for S85, and I guess about 145MPH for S100, but actually wind resistance is more than linear at those speeds, so perhaps much less, like 130MPH or so in a S100. I would love more testing. But 130MPH < 155MPH, so maybe finding the right MPH is the key. Obviously, numbers don't lie.
I've had my P85D at those speeds in Montana and while the energy use is extremely high, I never had a problem with maintaining the speeds. The problem for me is that at the speeds indicated you cover a lot of ground, fast. I ran out of usable road before I ran out power or the ability to stay at those speeds.
Me & OP didn't run out of road.
Model S is a family sedan car and it's never been intended as a race car. As a matter of fact, the warranty is voided if it is used for racing. I don't see how much more upfront than that!

It just happens that the torque is so great that people love to do drag racing but I have never seen a Tesla can win in a long race.

If it did, you would hear that by now.

Note that gasoline cars can drive much faster than Tesla capped speed at 155 MPH.
Exactly.

Also to the Bjorn tests: I watched every second of them. He didn't go full speed for long distances; he picked busy times of day and week, so that wasn't possible.

The problem is that at those speeds at night you are outdriving your headlights so by the time you see it (whatever it is) it is too late!
Once again, depends on the car. Good headlights, lots of attention. Very rare circumstances, and the lensing effect of the air due to heat wave variances, the chemical composition of the air, and a million other factors come into control. Very few roads, very few times of day, times of week, and times of year, very few actual circumstances, is this even possible.
Im convinced the Model 3 will not have this reduced-power issue thanks to a new motor design (switched reluctance) and a better motor cooling system. Range at ultra-high speed will continue to be an issue though. There is no way to get around the drag issue without using a Roadster-sized battery.

Tesla needs to use this motor in the S and X sooner rather than later.
Or how about just keep that kind of performance in the Roadster? If anybody is looking for Lux Autobahn, they can grab maybe something like a Lucid Air or some other thing.
I grew up in Germany and tried to drive faster than 200 km/h many times. It is very difficult to find the right Autobahn that allows driving that fast safely for an extended period of time. Finding a day
That tells me you weren't serious. Mostly these speeds are very late night or early morning things.

I love Tesla overall. They can make cars that go quite fast. But, it is what it is! No hate intended.

It's in the engineering. Know your stats. For most of us, we'll never need to do Autobahn speeds.

On the other hand, if Elon starts building skyways that are 1 mile in the air and have a minimum speed limit of 130MPH, then we'd need a new lineup of cars to achieve that.

Last edited:
Reactions: unbelievable
German roads have a pecking order, where the fastest are allowed to cruise at relatively high speed when safe and prudent to do so.
Because of this, German cars are often developed to allow continous high speed cruising. Gas mileage goes way down, tire wear goes way up, accidents are much more dramatic, but it was built into their culture.

Times are quickly changing there. Strong push back against the arrogant rich who can afford high powered Mercedes, BMW and Audi capable of dominating these lanes.

Speed limits are going into most of these roads, speed cameras make it expensive, poorer road maintenance and significant traffic increases make areas of un-limited speeds less every year.

Strong ego's fueled by high salaries making some feel entitled to do this are having their wings clipped.
Road Diet is deadly, and I want to return the favor to those Collectivsts that impose it. Not all of us are soy boys, even in 2018; a few of us are old enough to remember what liberty was (the suggestion that it is riches that affords liberty is part of the problem; we didn't require riches for liberty before). Also, Italy is falling fast and hard, and I didn't have arrogant riches when I was able to find the rare times it was possible to streamline the night, so take Collectivism elsewhere. I had a healthy and lively appreciation for absolutely every nuance of the way, which is an attitude many such smaller Collectivists can't reach. The incapability of the Collevists isn't one of lack of wealth of money, but of lack of wealth of mind, body, and spirit.
Maybe the Germans can install inductive charging into the autobahn. :)
Or concentrated solar beams with some Fraunhofer receivers.

Last edited:
As an anecdote to how Tesla is not suitable for anywhere in Europe for the speed limits, I was able to sustain 160km/h for only 10 seconds before a blue and red warning system flashing in the rear view mirror forced me to pull over (not mentioned in release notes, again). It also enforced an AP mode where I will not be a driver at all before court decision on ban. Where do I post claims at Tesla?

" First, it barely makes it to 250 km/h, in fact it doesn’t. Then, after approx 15 minutes, it throttles you down to 220, then 200, and so on. Power consumption is astronomical, too, obviously. You’re not going anywhere at higher speeds. "

I call bullshit. First of all anybody who ever drove in Germany knows that driving 250 km h for a quarter of an hour is almost totally impossible and certainly very dangerous. You adapt your speed to the conditions and if you REALLY push things a average speed of around 210 km h is reachable.

Serious drivers in Germany with decades of experience with high speed will travel at 160 to 180 km h. Your Tesla will do that without any problem. While the car will do 250 km h (you need to get yours checked) like many other cars, there is no car that will do that comfortably and safely. And I know no driver that will be willing to do that for 20 minutes, most get too tired after 10 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and EinSV
Any other place driving 250km/h on a public road would be dangerous to you and everyone, having said that and having driven 240km/h myself on the Autobahn, this is no ordinary road, driving 200km/h when and if there are no traffic veels like doing 80km/h in a 120km/h zone, do a bit of homework and you will see that the Autobahn is build more like a airport runway than a standard highway, hens the reason why it's possible to do those speeds safely. I would be very interested to know if the Tesla can handle those speeds constantly, because in a country like Germany it's very relevant.

Sorry but that is simply not true. Even VW Passat THE family workhorse will, with a 2L petrol turbo engine will reach 250 km/h. You will see tons of small diesels doing way over 200km/h on the left lane.
True, I did 240km/h in 1999 in a Opel V6 Van, never did I veel unsafe or pushing the limit, specially because the Autobahn is constantly monitored via cameras for any problems that occur, and if something does occur, speed limits are enforced as it happens.

100D can reach and maintain 250kmh for at least 15min. I was unable to test for a longer period due to the road and traffic. 30 deg C outside...

Attachments

• 20170826_181043.jpg
    20170826_181043.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 169
In Germany, high speed commuting between cities is the norm. No speed limits on tje Autobahn.This is relevant for them.
In France, UK and other parts of Europe, highways are travelled at 150 km/h, around 90 mph, though speeding.
This is why the diesel V6 and V8 are so popular there.

What I wonder is If the P100D has worse high speed endurance than a 100D?
I've driven for hours across Utah and Nevada at 90 mph with no problems. (90 is the limit for AP so that's what I tend to do).