Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving high speed on the Autobahn...not possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Germany, high speed commuting between cities is the norm. No speed limits on tje Autobahn.This is relevant for them.
In France, UK and other parts of Europe, highways are travelled at 150 km/h, around 90 mph, though speeding.
This is why the diesel V6 and V8 are so popular there.
Don't misrepresent Europe.
  • Speed limits are 130 kph / 80mph in most of Europe. UK is 70, Germany has unlimited stretches but during daytime don't hope to continuously being able to drive +200kph/125mph
  • A limited amount of people speed, a greater amount of people don't even reach the speed limits. Pretty much at +40kph/+25mph over the speed limit you risk losing your license, and all countries use hidden mobile speed traps. Most countries are even rolling out average speed measurement stretches
  • As a result, the four cilinder diesel and gasoline engines are popular in Europe. 6+ cilinders are being fased out.
I used to drive +200kph in my BMW, but I had to stop every 300 km at a fuel station to refuel anyway. Now I set autopilot at 150 kph/93mph and get at my destination too, and obviously safer.

We all know that Teslas are not the best when it comes to high speed driving for longer. The power consumption is so high that you won't get very far. Driving at 200+ km/h for more than a few minutes is a very rare situation. Less than 1% of Germany's roads have no speed limit. Only a few days and times of the day would the lack of traffic allow you do go 250 km. Doing that at night is just nuts (too dangerous) The odds of being to do that speed safely for even just 10 minutes are so low that it's irrelevant to even discuss this. It's a situation that happens so I don't care if my car isn't handling it as well as some ICE car that I don't want to have one way or another.