Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in HOV lane without sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but so is driving alone in the carpool lane w/o government approval sticker. The way I see it, if I am taxed into oblivion to pay for "road construction, widening, and improvement", I'm going to use the lanes I paid for.
Go for it, I’m sure the State will love all the money the keep making off of you with all those tickets. Then when you lose your license you’ll probably be whining about that.

I was pulled-over for not having the sticker affixed in the designated areas on my car. Luckily, I had my stickers in the glove box and explained to the officer that I was just waiting for the PPF to arrive before putting them on. He let me off with a stern warning that you ARE breaking the law if you are in the HOV lane without the stickers. CHP officers don't care if it's a Tesla or any other EV. He said, at highway speeds, the only way to quickly verify is to look for the stickers. He also added, it is a $550+ ticket (moving violation, hence +1 pt on your record) not counting the cost to go to traffic school. Not to mention the penalty in insurance premium you will have to pay for 2+ years if you are not able to go to traffic school.

I don't know about anyone else but I hate paying fines, period. You get absolutely nothing for it other than wasted time and money. For those who drive in and out of HOV lanes taking their chances (not getting caught), well... good for them. Nonetheless, that ticket is going to poke right where it hurts when the luck runs out.

Reactions: ArtK
I was pulled-over for not having the sticker affixed in the designated areas on my car. Luckily, I had my stickers in the glove box and explained to the officer that I was just waiting for the PPF to arrive before putting them on. He let me off with a stern warning that you ARE breaking the law if you are in the HOV lane without the stickers. CHP officers don't care if it's a Tesla or any other EV. He said, at highway speeds, the only way to quickly verify is to look for the stickers. He also added, it is a $550+ ticket (moving violation, hence +1 pt on your record) not counting the cost to go to traffic school. Not to mention the penalty in insurance premium you will have to pay for 2+ years if you are not able to go to traffic school.

I don't know about anyone else but I hate paying fines, period. You get absolutely nothing for it other than wasted time and money. For those who drive in and out of HOV lanes taking their chances (not getting caught), well... good for them. Nonetheless, that ticket is going to poke right where it hurts when the luck runs out.
I completely agree, and have posted a similar experience from the Northeast. But some will continue to argue that they’ve never heard of cops ticketing a Tesla without stickers. 😒

• Funny
Reactions: N1L CO2
I completely agree, and have posted a similar experience from the Northeast. But some will continue to argue that they’ve never heard of cops ticketing a Tesla without stickers. 😒
They could probably play dumb and talk themselves out of one but even then it's totally up to the cop. However, it's been my experience that HOV violators rarely get off with a warning. :cool:

Reactions: ArtK
It’s kind of the same story as being over speed limit, not having front plate, having darker tints… it’s rare to get dinged for it, but when you do, it hurts! I have my stickers, I only have had one on for the past 6 months, the other ones and the paperwork in the glovebox. Hoping to just get a warning if I ever get pulled over. At least I have one on and can prove I paid my dues, but if I get a ticket, at the end of the day I will deserve it.

Same as others, bought the $5 roll of M3 PPF on Amazon and cut it the shape or the sticker and slapped it on the car. I’ve actually gotten used to seeing it now.

They could probably play dumb and talk themselves out of one but even then it's totally up to the cop. However, it's been my experience that HOV violators rarely get off with a warning. :cool:
In my case the highway cop was kind of aggressive. He just glared at me and said, “And why have you not put on the stickers?” While debating how to answer, he smirked and bellowed “…’cause you didn’t want to mess up your bumper!” I nodded, and he apparently appreciated my honesty but swore he would tag me next time.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My 2 cents. Let's all try to be a good citizen. Claiming ignorance to any law is NOT a sure-fire way to get out of a situation. Law is law. It is there to protect both you and everyone else. Any leniency given is completely up to the enforcement officer involved.

Reactions: aspushkin
I have FasTrak CAV toll tag already. The CAV decals look ugly as hell and I want to get rid of them.

Can I still drive on HOV lanes without these decals? (2 people and toll tag set to 2)

Will cops pull over me for not having CAV decals?

Thanks

I have FasTrak CAV toll tag already. The CAV decals look ugly as hell and I want to get rid of them.

Can I still drive on HOV lanes without these decals? (2 people and toll tag set to 2)

Will cops pull over me for not having CAV decals?

Thanks
if you've got two people in the car (driver + passenger) no sticker is necessary.
if you're wearing the stickers, you can use HOV lanes driver-only if you want or need to.
on toll roads, the trariff still applies. regardless of sticker, you're paying the toll. the stickers are for non-toll HOV lane use.

I haven't ever been pulled over in California for not having stickers on my car. I have them in the trunk in case I get pulled over.
There’s no point in keeping them in your trunk. If you get pulled over you’re getting the $500 ticket. If you don’t have them on the car, it’s equivalent to not having them at all.

There’s no point in keeping them in your trunk. If you get pulled over you’re getting the $500 ticket. If you don’t have them on the car, it’s equivalent to not having them at all.
Noted, but having the actual stickers and claiming ignorance still gives me a better shot at talking my way out of a ticket. I've had my car for 2.5 years and drive in the carpool lanes all the time and haven't been pulled over yet.