Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in HOV lane without sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like others said - put them on adhesive magnetic sheet. Easy to remove for car washes and car events, if that's your thing. Get the magnetic sheet from a reputable industrial supply house like McMaster-Carr rather than the questionable stuff sold on Amazon. I used my wife's Cricut machine to cut out mine. IMO the yellow California HOV stickers look great if you have the matching yellow and black 1960's legacy plates.

Here is the magnetic sheet I used:
Down here in the OC I usually see people get ticketed about once a month by the CHP for carpool lane single rider without a sticker. Especially the stretch of northbound I-5 near Disneyland Drive. I have to say, as a public servant, nothing makes me happier than seeing these people ticketed.

Last edited:
I have resisted for a while but then finally put them on using a license plate adaptor. It's a square metal attachment that is connected to the plate frame. The sticker never touches the paint.

Do they make something similar for CA?

I have resisted for a while but then finally put them on using a license plate adaptor. It's a square metal attachment that is connected to the plate frame. The sticker never touches the paint.

Do they make something similar for CA?
the official requirements are for the stickers at the 4 corners, too far to attach to the license plate. Though I must say it's comically how broadly the Tesla owners have applied those directives. 2 stickers only in back, or all 4. Some of it may be driven by where the bumper is magnetic, but the rest I have no idea why they made those choices. I finally got my stickers a couple weeks ago and am still contemplating it.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Technically it’s not all 4 corners. Three ln the rear, one on the front driver bumper and none on the front passenger bumper. Agree it’s comical how people can’t read instructions and slap them all over the place.

Technically it’s not all 4 corners. Three ln the rear, one on the front driver bumper and none on the front passenger bumper. Agree it’s comical how people can’t read instructions and slap them all over the place.
It used to be 3 in the rear, but it is all 4 corners now: Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV.

1658281402321.png

Thanks for the thread. Same questions and decisions to make. Just got my Yellow Stickers, today - 5 weeks from mail in of check/application to delivery. Even ordered them while still on Temporary tags...but my metal plate registration was on the card and all the paperwork...so DMV's system must have sync'd with the VIN.

Got the PPF wraps - so trying to decide this, or the sheet magnets. I think the front bumper cover is plastic - so to have those mounted, probably means PPF sticker. Maybe magnet sheet for the back two big ones? I also don't want to attach my front plate, and my tint on the two front windows is quite below the legal 70% transmissivity. So I figure, I probably should put the all the damn ugly CAV HOV stickers to lower my chances on getting pulled over. I think if they get me over for the decals, they would just lump on the lack of front plate and ticket/re-tint my two windows.

Thanks for the thread. Same questions and decisions to make. Just got my Yellow Stickers, today - 5 weeks from mail in of check/application to delivery. Even ordered them while still on Temporary tags...but my metal plate registration was on the card and all the paperwork...so DMV's system must have sync'd with the VIN.

Got the PPF wraps - so trying to decide this, or the sheet magnets. I think the front bumper cover is plastic - so to have those mounted, probably means PPF sticker. Maybe magnet sheet for the back two big ones? I also don't want to attach my front plate, and my tint on the two front windows is quite below the legal 70% transmissivity. So I figure, I probably should put the all the damn ugly CAV HOV stickers to lower my chances on getting pulled over. I think if they get me over for the decals, they would just lump on the lack of front plate and ticket/re-tint my two windows.
both front and rear bumpers are flex resin (ie plastic).
so the stick 'em on the PPF, then stick the PPF on the bumpers.
when it's time to retire them, just a blow dryer or heat gun takes them off easily.

We have never applied the stickers to our M3 (in the glove box). We have never been stopped when in Car Pool lane or toll booths.
Yup, same here. Although I haven't "lived" in California in a few years, I am there all the time and in the car pool lanes. I always thought that if I had the minimum required number of people in the car, it isn't a problem of needing a sticker. Cops have been behind me and done nothing. Has something changed about "needing" a sticker ?

I was driving around LA recently on a trip and used the HOV lane in my rental ICE car as I had 5 persons in the vehicle and assumed that was good (NC resident so not super aware of the CA rules). But I was shocked to have two episodes of CHP pulling up next to my car to count passengers. You guys really take this seriously! I have never noticed HOV police in other states lol

Yup, same here. Although I haven't "lived" in California in a few years, I am there all the time and in the car pool lanes. I always thought that if I had the minimum required number of people in the car, it isn't a problem of needing a sticker. Cops have been behind me and done nothing. Has something changed about "needing" a sticker ?
they're HOV lanes. if you're with a passenger, you're good.
the stickers enable a car wih single occupant (ie driver only) to use the HOV lanes.
another benny of having an EV

I was driving around LA recently on a trip and used the HOV lane in my rental ICE car as I had 5 persons in the vehicle and assumed that was good (NC resident so not super aware of the CA rules). But I was shocked to have two episodes of CHP pulling up next to my car to count passengers. You guys really take this seriously! I have never noticed HOV police in other states lol
must have had out of state plates?
I NEVER see CHP checking HOV lane occupants, and I was driving 30K per year for 2 decades.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts. I went the full legal route on my HOV decals.😩 I put them on PPF cutouts to prevent them from sticking to the primary wrap and make removal in 3 years, more easy. Think I did a decent job of lining them up with prominent lines of the car and its panels.

Really hate having to do this, but with my tint not quite within the rules, and no front plate mounted - I figure I didn't want to give them a more obvious excuse (Single Occupant in HOV thing) to pull me over - and then ticket me for the full whammy: Tint / Plate / No Decals all at once. The yellow is just a crazy color. Maybe when my black/yellow personal plates come in, it'll blend a little better.

IMG_9364.jpeg
IMG_9365.jpeg
IMG_9363.jpeg

I am on Long Island, New York and did not apply the stickers. A highway cop pulled me over, but let me go while swearing that he would ticket me the next time if I didn’t slap them on the car. I applied the stickers to PPF, trimmed carefully, and applied the PPF to my bumper. No problems since then.

Reactions: EdSt and julit0