Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in icy/snow condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my Honda Odyssey yesterday on icy hilly streets with my new Blizzak winter tires. I was very impressed. I don't think I will be installing the chains again this winter. Another snow storm going on tonight and I have to be at work at 4:30 in the morning. I'll let you know if I change my opinion about these tires.

Before Xmas with a brand new mx I headed to Tahoe. I have the stock 20 inch rims. On the road into squaw valley with some ice on the road, the car had a major slip. Then two more times changing lanes the car slipped noticeably.

It concerned me enough to swap out the tires for Perelli Scorpion winter tires. I believe this is the only winter tire available for the car.

After putting on the winter tires, I traveled on icy Tahoe roads and through a lot of snow. The car did fine.

The odd thing is I talked with folks at the Truckee charging station behind Safeway and they all reported that the stock tires were performing well.

I'm fine with switching out the all season tires for winter tires because my previous electric went through tires quickly. I suspect the softer winter tires will last two to three winters and the all season tires will still have some shelf life.

Before Xmas with a brand new mx I headed to Tahoe. I have the stock 20 inch rims. On the road into squaw valley with some ice on the road, the car had a major slip. Then two more times changing lanes the car slipped noticeably.

It concerned me enough to swap out the tires for Perelli Scorpion winter tires. I believe this is the only winter tire available for the car.

After putting on the winter tires, I traveled on icy Tahoe roads and through a lot of snow. The car did fine.

The odd thing is I talked with folks at the Truckee charging station behind Safeway and they all reported that the stock tires were performing well.

I'm fine with switching out the all season tires for winter tires because my previous electric went through tires quickly. I suspect the softer winter tires will last two to three winters and the all season tires will still have some shelf life.
Yikes! Glad it was only little slips. Good to hear the Pirelli's helped. A friend of mine has them on his Q7. He seems to like them.

They're the only winter tire available from Tesla. There are lots of other winter tires available. Just need to know which size to buy (hint: it's printed on the side). o_O:p;)

BTW, which tires were on the stock 20" to begin with, Continental?

I was just told these are my only options, they both, from what I read, DO NOT HAVE M+S rating.....;-((

MODEL X - MICHELIN LATITUDE SPORT3 275/45R20 (1065210-00-A)
MODEL X - 275/45R20 CONTI CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT (1027257-00-A)

I have the conti cc lx sport and they are M+S. So far they have been great for me in the snow, so while I'm considering a second set of wheels with more serious winter tires I'm not convinced yet.

Attaching a photo. Sorry for the quality, the flash was not kind.

Attachments

• IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 185
I have the conti cc lx sport and they are M+S. So far they have been great for me in the snow, so while I'm considering a second set of wheels with more serious winter tires I'm not convinced yet.

Attaching a photo. Sorry for the quality, the flash was not kind.
You made my day, thanks! Their own web site shows this, and it's the sport version page I'm on also.

I'm good to go then ;-))

Conti-CrossContact.jpg

BTW, which tires were on the stock 20" to begin with, Continental?
Yes, Continental. I talked to a guy named Bob at Stones Tire in Truckee. He said that most tires say M + S now, but that they weren't really mud and snow, but more of a summer tire with tread that is designed to help avoid hydroplanning.

From what I read, Blizzaks were the best studless winter tire, but they don't have an option for the 20 inch staggered tires.

I have the 22" Pirelli Asimmetrico (radial tubeless with M+S rating) in this video. As an experiment, I stopped on an icy morning, then punched the peddle to spin everything and let-off. It recovered and then I weaved a little on purpose, then pumped breaks to a stop. I had the regen set to low, to aid anti-lock breaking as mentioned in this, or another thread.

I was driving through Grants Pass(Oregon) on I-5 today. Very snowy road condition. The semi in front of me started slowing down so I hit the brake. To my surprise, the X started skidding (I felt it was sliding toward the left line where there was another semi passing by), which actually scared me! Just when I thought it's going to hit the semi on my left, it stopped skidding and regained traction. I managed to get the X back in lane. I expect at least ABS should be engaged when it detects the vehicle is skidding and the brake is pressed, but at the time I didn't feel it was doing that.

Anyone here with snowing driving experience, could you share your advice on how to better deal with this situation? Note we were all driving at around 25mph or even slower at the time; and my X has all season tires.

I was driving Model X 100D in Vermont just b4 Thanksgiving this year on a snow covered road with an inch or two max. Headed downhill at right hairpin turn. I took my foot off of go pedal and she locked up in a slide. No ABS no braking just a slide. Crossed the street and slammed into guard rail at 20 mph est.

Can someone tell me what is up did I do something wrong or is this a flaw?

Hit my head on driver door frame at the sun visor area, concussed from it. No airbag deployed.

Drove away from it with mangled front bumper assembly.

Help!