Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in icy/snow condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered snow tires today. Thanks for all the info. We got a little snow today and the S feels great so far, even in all seasons. Supppose to get 10 inches so going to test it tomorrow so I can see the difference when the snow tires come in

Haha, some of us want to be frugal! Even if it's in the wrong area. Though I'll say the best and safest for winter and snowy conditions is being smart and safe. Know your vehicle and don't be a teenage kid taking the BMW for a spin blasting EDM.

Further experience on the all seasons tonight.

We were driving home from work late. Wind is howling, snow is blowing across the road. My wife comments, "better watch out for black ice". Um right... these are kinda ideal conditions for that. We're a ways from a red light so I figure I should test the traction. I lift my foot a bit. The car immediately starts spinning!

I slam on the brakes to engage the ABS and countersteer. This pulls the car out of the spin at about 30 degrees to the road. I straighten it out and keep the wheels on the snowbound road center until we're slowed right down.

Okay, I'm hoping I get my car back soon. These tires suck.

We were driving home from work late. Wind is howling, snow is blowing across the road. My wife comments, "better watch out for black ice". Um right... these are kinda ideal conditions for that. We're a ways from a red light so I figure I should test the traction. I lift my foot a bit. The car immediately starts spinning!

I slam on the brakes to engage the ABS and countersteer. This pulls the car out of the spin at about 30 degrees to the road. I straighten it out and keep the wheels on the snowbound road center until we're slowed right down.

I expected more from these tires? Can anyone comment how they compare with the MDX? I plan on going chainless with the all seasons to Sand Bernardino mountains (big bear - snow valley) for skiing

Boy, the internet is full of very conflicting opinions on the matter of All Season tires, Winter tires, and the various subclassifications within those! It's a little bit like the opinions in this particular thread! ;) That being said, I'm wondering if folks have any data to share about three specific questions:

- How bad is 45-65F heat for winter tires? Are we talking 10% worse wear or 50%? A li
- There seems to be some distinction between super-soft "snow tires" (terrible traction about 20 degrees) and "modern winter tires" (fine traction on cold wet/dry roads), though maybe that's just internet baloney?
- Are there any recommendations for 20" better-for-the-snow all-season tire (like the WRG3 except they only come in 19)? For an incremental improvement from the Contintentals it would be nice to not buy a new set of wheels.

My situation is weekday driving in 45-65 degree weather (wet and dry) during the week and snow driving many but not all weekends for the next 3 months. We've always used All-Season on our AWD sedan in the past, and have been generally fine, but if there's a reasonable way (both in cost and hassle) to get better traction on this new car we've been convinced by this thread we should do it.

Not trying to hijack this thread but winter driving also includes being able to see where you are going! My 90D June build with cold weather package sucks in the snow in Denver. Driving Homer from downtown yesterday at 10 degrees with moderate snow fall the defroster would not get enough heat to prevent ice buildup on the front glass and the wiper heaters also would not stop ice from building on the wipers. With the wipers just smearing snow and slush across the screen, it was more efficient for viewing to let snow droplets turn to water and leave it on glass instead of wiping it with wipers. This was night driving and a real PITA. Anyone else extremely disappointed with cold weather wiper/defroster function in snow?

I have driven extensively in a wide range of snow and ice conditions for more than 20 years, including living in places where all the roads are snow covered half the year. I have also driven my Model X in quite a few different types of snow conditions already this year from deep unplowed snow, small roads, highways, and freeways in patchy snow, ice, packed snow, slush, etc.

In my opinion and experience, the Model X is a FANTASTIC car in the snow, and has performed as well or better than any car I have had before (many all wheel drive vehicles from Subaru, Audi, and BMW). I am running 20" winter wheels, which Nokian WR3 snow/winter rated all season tires. I have not changed the regen settings, and have had no trouble with unexpected sliding. Even taking it out in a huge empty parking lot in snow and ice, it's very difficult to get it to slide at all unless you turn on the "Slip Start" feature (essentially disabling traction control). I have found the car to be super stable, excellent traction, and consistent, straight line braking (always the most challenging in slippery conditions for any vehicle).

@t56301 I'm sorry to hear of your scary experience, that's never fun! You probably already know this, but whenever you're in slippery conditions, leave extra space, and all your control inputs (steering, accelerator, and break) should be very slow and gentle as any sudden change can initiate a loss of traction. If you haven't already I would encourage you to find a large snowy parking lot where you can experiment. Accelerate hard, make sharp curves, slam on the breaks, and see how the car responds so you know what to expect. Then try it again with traction control off (Slip Start On). You will be amazed at how well the technology works. I've never seen a car so able to accelerate smoothly in a straight line with almost no slipping when you stomp the accelerator pedal on ice!
THIS. We have had fantastic winter driving performance with our X. This all comes down to wheels, tires, conditions, and knowledge of the driver. The weight of the X and it's superior traction control give it a strong advantage in the snow/ice over other vehicles. However even the best setup will slide in the right weather conditions, so whenever I leave our house in inclement weather I test the limits (scrub) of my traction on our private street so I know what I have to work with out in traffic. Just my 2 cents but I'm surprised to see so many complaints here

My usual car is a P85 RWD with Michelin X-Ice3 tires. I'm currently driving a P85D AWD loaner with Michelin all season tires (what we call "no seasons" around here). I've had the loaner for a week and have driven through a wide variety of winter conditions. I have ice racing experience so I have a pretty good feel for how cars handle on snow and ice. My observations:

Acceleration: AWD with all seasons is better than RWD with snows.

Turning: AWD with all seasons seriously sucks on snow; it understeers horribly. On dry or wet pavement it actually turns noticeably better than my RWD.

Braking: All seasons are definitely worse than snows. AWD doesn't help!

Commentary: I have more confidence in my RWD with snows than an AWD with all seasons. That said I'd really love an AWD with proper snow tires.

Quoting both since I couldn't remember which tires you were on with your loaner. Thanks for the follow up!

Boy, the internet is full of very conflicting opinions on the matter of All Season tires, Winter tires, and the various subclassifications within those! It's a little bit like the opinions in this particular thread! ;) That being said, I'm wondering if folks have any data to share about three specific questions:

- How bad is 45-65F heat for winter tires? Are we talking 10% worse wear or 50%? A li
- There seems to be some distinction between super-soft "snow tires" (terrible traction about 20 degrees) and "modern winter tires" (fine traction on cold wet/dry roads), though maybe that's just internet baloney?
- Are there any recommendations for 20" better-for-the-snow all-season tire (like the WRG3 except they only come in 19)? For an incremental improvement from the Contintentals it would be nice to not buy a new set of wheels.

My situation is weekday driving in 45-65 degree weather (wet and dry) during the week and snow driving many but not all weekends for the next 3 months. We've always used All-Season on our AWD sedan in the past, and have been generally fine, but if there's a reasonable way (both in cost and hassle) to get better traction on this new car we've been convinced by this thread we should do it.
Um, no the WRG3 goes up to 21". Check out the SUV version. I have 20's on mine.

Nokian WRG3 SUV - Winter Tires / Nokian Tires

I love the heated steering and seats from the winter package but find the interior heat capability very poor. In 0-10 degree F weather the interior never gets warm. I am going to have the SC look at it sometime in the spring when I have time to drive to Vancouver for an appointment. If this is the normal capacity, then it is underbuilt for Canadian conditions.

Traction outside of sheer ice is amazing.

Not trying to hijack this thread but winter driving also includes being able to see where you are going! My 90D June build with cold weather package sucks in the snow in Denver. Driving Homer from downtown yesterday at 10 degrees with moderate snow fall the defroster would not get enough heat to prevent ice buildup on the front glass and the wiper heaters also would not stop ice from building on the wipers. With the wipers just smearing snow and slush across the screen, it was more efficient for viewing to let snow droplets turn to water and leave it on glass instead of wiping it with wipers. This was night driving and a real PITA. Anyone else extremely disappointed with cold weather wiper/defroster function in snow?
Did you touch the defroster icon twice to get the red icon? One press will give you a cold defroster icon and the second press gives you the red (hot) defroster.

Quoting both since I couldn't remember which tires you were on with your loaner. Thanks for the follow up!

Um, no the WRG3 goes up to 21". Check out the SUV version. I have 20's on mine.

Nokian WRG3 SUV - Winter Tires / Nokian Tires
Thanks goneskiian! I didn't think to look for a separate SUV section.

Does anyone have data or experience with real world tire wear for winter tires in 60 degree weather?

find the interior heat capability very poor. In 0-10 degree F weather the interior never gets warm. I am going to have the SC look at it sometime in the spring when I have time to drive to Vancouver for an appointment.
I agree you should get it checked. I love my interior heat. A timeline of screenshots for those interested in numbers.

Attachments

• 20170105_202024.jpg
    20170105_202024.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20170105_202151.jpg
    20170105_202151.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 20170105_202315.jpg
    20170105_202315.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20170105_202711.jpg
    20170105_202711.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20170105_202756.jpg
    20170105_202756.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20170105_202929.jpg
    20170105_202929.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20170105_203515.jpg
    20170105_203515.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20170105_203617.jpg
    20170105_203617.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 103
Sure, if you drive in snow regularly, for safety, snow tire is the way to go.

However, my original point is if you occasionally drive in snow, with all season tires, comparing to the typical AWD ICEs with all season tires, Tesla isn't doing any better if not worse (and to my experience, it is right out scary and unsafe). I have driven in the same condition as the picture I posted earlier, and I have confidence in my previous car when driving it in that condition. For my X, I just don't have the same feeling after this. Maybe it is due to how this EV should be handled differently in the snow (I will have to test it out in an empty icy parking lot as some suggested).
Keep in mind, your ICE most likely had different AS tires, which may have suited better for mud/snow
Some All-seasons are more performance oriented and some are better for off-road
So, if anything, with the same road conditions and the same tires, Tesla would probably do better than most ICE cars

P.S. I would never leave my garage without winter tires if there is a snow/ice on the ground

Reactions: goneskiian
Thanks goneskiian! I didn't think to look for a separate SUV section.

Does anyone have data or experience with real world tire wear for winter tires in 60 degree weather?
You're welcome! :p;)

Nothing empirical but these tires do pretty well year round. Obviously their snow capability will be diminished quicker the more you drive them on hot pavement than if they were kept as seasonal tires.

What's this thing called snow?
A colder, slightly more solid version of that stuff mingling with the sand in your profile picture. :cool::p;)

Reactions: X Fan
I watched my cousin having a similar debate about AWD with All-Season vs 2WD with Winter Tires on Facebook. He's all about the snow tires, but he lives in Toronto.

Like the others of you who live in SoCal or other regions with snowless winters, but who love to play in it by taking road trips to local mountains, I simply can't justify switching tires given how infrequently I would truly reap the benefits of doing so.

During the several years I had season passes to Mammoth Mountain, I can probably count the number of days I put chains on the front wheels of my all-season equipped Honda Pilot on one hand (and, even then, I probably didn't need chains for some of those days). I think I only once needed to engage the VTM-4 lock to send power to all four wheels. I don't usually do much driving once I am in the mountains, so I only bother using chains when it snows on the day I drive up or the day I drive back. And, unless that snowfall is heavy, the highways get cleared pretty quickly.

With AWD and all season tires, I figure the Model X will handle generally better in slippery conditions than a Pilot with similar rubber...so really, I think I'm still better off just carrying chains (especially if snow tires wear that much faster in warm conditions...which would amount to 95% of the miles driven to and from the mountain) and only using them when the conditions truly require them.

I was about to ask if I need chains for all four tires, but I see the Tesla Gear shop has a recommended chain that should only be installed on the rears...but these cost $500?!?!?

Last edited:
@OP - whilst you might not like hearing it - as others have said if you are on snow, you need snow tyres. Period.

Anything else will be a less than predictable compromise and is a risk that you take (as many of us do in areas with only occasional snow).

You have said that the car skidded. The tyres broke traction. This is not a Tesla issue, but simply a fact that you applied too much stopping force for the conditions and that the tyres could cope with.

It is well known that ABS contributes little to stopping ability in snow, indeed there is a solid argument that without ABS the vehicle may stop quicker due to a build up of snow in front of locked wheels. What it may do is contribute to regaining control quicker at the end of the slide once the speed has come off.

One thing not mentioned in this thread so far is that your Tesla will likely weigh 1/2 - 1 ton more than your previous ICE vehicles.
The momentum from the additional mass is something you need to consider particularly in conditions where the tyres may lose traction.

Did first ski trip yesterday. I have 22" Perrelli Asimmetrico (radial tubeless with M+S rating), though next week the standard 20" are going on. Only the large lodge parking lot provided a chance to test out the stability, and it was great. We were the first to arrive @7:30 and took time for some slow speed experiments. I set regen to low as was suggested here.

- Locked up the breaks during a turn, car did start to rotate but once I released the break it recovered.
- Normal pumping method of breaks very reliable to stop the car on a slope.
- If I punch the accelerator, I suspect all wheels were spinning and car beginning to rotate, but once off all petals, recovery happened.

As good or better than prior Sequoia & Jeep 4WD cars I had.

I have no hesitation to take the MX up anytime, though this was not a real test with traffic & snowing etc.

IMG_1718.JPG IMG_1713.JPG