Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in Scandinavia - help / advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just bought a new Model 3 (extended range) and we plan to take out summer vacation driving it to Norway. We've had a look round at various sites but can find a great deal about driving the Tesla w.r.t charging ( availability and fees) tolls and parking. I understand there are some connections for EV's but not necessarily for non Norwegian registered cars? Does anyone have any experience of driving a Tesla to Norway that might be useful for us? Thanks in advance

Nippynorman

Welcome to forum.

White Model 3? I spotted one yesterday being driven rather gingerly in Camberley area that I didn’t recognise.

As for your question, suggest asking on part fog forum that covers you likely to visit. Occasionally they pop bye here with really good English.

Europe -

I don’t think you’ll have a problem in Norway, checkout

Bjørn Nyland

and

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Ionity, Fortum, E.on etc are prevalent

a popular charging aggregator in Europe is Plugsurfing one account giving access to many providers’ chargers

the Shell Recharge app also shows a decent spread of accessible chargers, especially around Oslo. You can signup for that with a U.K. account.

Last edited:
I think your UK UMC will not work in Norway, I saw this on one of Bjorn's videos when a friend from the UK failed to granny charge in Norway. It seems Norway has a different earthing standard than the rest of Europe as I recall so UMCs from other countries will not work there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Flatchat
@Nippynorman - I've been living as an ex-pat in Norway for the best part of 7 years. Generally speaking the charging network is world class with combination of:

Tesla supercharger network Dra hvor som helst | Tesla
Circle K service stations network of fast chargers Circle K Charge - Enkel lading der du er
Plus many destination charging options at hotels etc.

Considering 50% of new car sales now are battery electric vehicles there are charging facilities nearly everywhere. I mainly use a Type 2 charger (and charge at home as my journeys are short) so can't answer whether your UK equipment will work here but in terms of charging network you'll have no issues.

Feel free to ask if you want any more tips or advise. You've chosen a great country to visit!

Good tour!

Paul

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it. We have started to plan our trip but it does seem rather daunting at the moment, particularly with the large number of different charging networks across Europe. Thanks for all the links that you posted. I will work my way through them.
I have watched a few of Bjorn Nylands videos, particularly for the roof rack and top box that we bought. I hope our glass roof doesn't break like his did.

We haven't had a lot of joy with our new Tesla. Sadly the Tesla died after 500 miles and was recovered to Brooklands. It needed a new battery and HTC set as well as a lot of other stuff. It took about 3 weeks to fix and we only got it back yesterday. I hope it will last a bit longer next time.

Thanks again for your advice; I'm sure I'll need to get back on specifics as we get closer to departure!

Welcome to Norway! Basically chargers everywhere, in addition to a well distributed SuC network. Download the apps from Grønn kontakt, Fortum, BKK, Circle K and Ionity for easy and fast payment in the app. But with Tesla, you don't need those.