Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Melbourne to Brisbane in 45 Celcius heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The following shows Einstein as just a bit worried! This was on June 22, I believe, 2017 in the middle of California's Death Valley. As chronicled in the next picture, it was 50ºC - 122ºF. We came out of it just fine, and with the A/C on full at all times. You'll be right.
Einstein at 122ºF.jpg
IMG_3245.JPG

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
  • image.png
    image.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
Have 5 people in the car and two french bulldogs...will be interesting! So basically it has to go in the boot.
In that case, you need to drive carefully. One option would be to tie the wheel down somehow using the baby seat fixing points on the back of the back seats (they are in little slits hard to see). Ratchet straps maybe. Then you have 2 dogs to restrain as well.

Maxaroonie.
Climbing out of Death Valley is a steep, multi-thousand meter (offhand, 1500-1800m) challenge. So a double jaw-clencher in that respect, and about mid-way I became aware of a loud hum/roar I’d not noticed earlier. I finally decided to stop and examine; was confounded for a time but finally, to my great relief, realized I had turned to High the seat ventilation, which does have quite a noise on its own, albeit generally masked by the sound system - which, because there’s zero reception in that hellhole, is turned off.

Been to death valley! (in winter). A remarkable part of the world. You can be skiing on a mountain in the morning and then on one of the lowest points on earth in the afternoon. The valley itself is bounded by snow capped ridge! Just incredible when you grew up in a relatively flat place like Australia.

Id love to see a picture of it in the boot! Im Interested in getting one, how long did shipping take?

3 business days (and a weekend). Ordered it last Wednesday and it arrived this Monday morning to Melbourne. Will post a picture once I get a restraint.

Grenadine, with love, it looks like your trip will be identical to most Tesla rides in Sydney tomorrow! 45 degrees in the western suburbs of Sydney....
A LOT of Tesla A/C systems will be tested!
Hit 46 on my tesla thermometer today. The aircon was very loud. No noticable heat from the glass roof or side windows. (Film added to side windows). Windscreen not so great (no film). Getting back into a nice cool car after each stop was excellent. The final one I just couldn’t contemplate walking across the bitumen, so I summoned the car to the door. I’m sure my milage was rubbish today. So hot, and its getting hotter by Friday.

• Informative
Reactions: Stratman
The sunlight entering the cabin is a significant source of heat on the skin. To really feel comfortable you need to have the aircon on 6 or 7 or set auto to 21 degrees
It is unfortunate that Tesla has chosen form over function with the all glass roof. The roof doesn't open like a sunroof, but it lets in much more heat that an insulated roof. For an EV, it doesn't make sense that we have to use extra energy to power the aircon to be confortable because of the heat from the roof.
A good quality tint and roof sun shades have reduced the cabin heat in mine quite considerably,
I got some sunshades from Aliexpress, perhaps the same as yours, but personally I don't find them to be of much use. They are made of thin mesh with large holes, so they do reduce the amount of light entering the cabin (which is not a problem for me), but not doing much to the heat. I will try to get the roof tinted with a ceramic film.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
There’s no doubt that cracking open the sunroof as part of pre-conditioning your Model S is dramatically better than just aircon. And it can be done at the touch of an app button...
I miss that these days. Hopefully Tesla will bring it back.

It is unfortunate that Tesla has chosen form over function with the all glass roof. The roof doesn't open like a sunroof, but it lets in much more heat that an insulated roof. For an EV, it doesn't make sense that we have to use extra energy to power the aircon to be confortable because of the heat from the roof.

I got some sunshades from Aliexpress, perhaps the same as yours, but personally I don't find them to be of much use. They are made of thin mesh with large holes, so they do reduce the amount of light entering the cabin (which is not a problem for me), but not doing much to the heat. I will try to get the roof tinted with a ceramic film.
My profession is hi-rise buildings, and so I have a lot of data on materials for facades. Here are some facts without technical jargon;
-Sheet aluminium on its own is a hopeless blocker of heat. It is in fact a brilliant absorber of heat, but expels it quickly.
- to make sheet aluminium usefull we add 100mm of thermal insulation and an inner layer. Less than 100mm of thermal doesn’t achieve a lot.
- uncoated glass is useless
- adding ‘film’ to glass reduces the uselessness, but not by big margins
-coated glass adds considerable performance. Way better than aluminium on its own, and I’ve not got access to data for glass as heavily coated as tesla use. Presumably its significantly superior.
- coated double glazing is very good.
The only way to know for sure would be to put a metal roof tesla next to a glass roof tesla of the same colour, and measure their internal temperature before the auto cooling cuts in, but I’d be massively shocked if the aluminium and joke layer of insulation is a better heat reflector than the coated glass. It seems to me that tesla are doing the glass roof for energy efficiency.
I’m also into nursing homes. Its a known fact that oldies need to see heat. Hence we dont do heated floors or other forms of invisible heat as they claim its not on. They like to see the heat, even though its colder and less efficient.

My profession is hi-rise buildings, and so I have a lot of data on materials for facades. Here are some facts without technical jargon;
-Sheet aluminium on its own is a hopeless blocker of heat. It is in fact a brilliant absorber of heat, but expels it quickly.
- to make sheet aluminium usefull we add 100mm of thermal insulation and an inner layer. Less than 100mm of thermal doesn’t achieve a lot.
- uncoated glass is useless
- adding ‘film’ to glass reduces the uselessness, but not by big margins
-coated glass adds considerable performance. Way better than aluminium on its own, and I’ve not got access to data for glass as heavily coated as tesla use. Presumably its significantly superior.
- coated double glazing is very good.
The only way to know for sure would be to put a metal roof tesla next to a glass roof tesla of the same colour, and measure their internal temperature before the auto cooling cuts in, but I’d be massively shocked if the aluminium and joke layer of insulation is a better heat reflector than the coated glass. It seems to me that tesla are doing the glass roof for energy efficiency.
I’m also into nursing homes. Its a known fact that oldies need to see heat. Hence we dont do heated floors or other forms of invisible heat as they claim its not on. They like to see the heat, even though its colder and less efficient.

You read my mind @paulp, I was thinking about how to make that test as accurate as possible have an original non-glass roof model S, I can get access to the same original Blue model S with glass roof and same colour interior.