Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Model 3, and then driving other vehicles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been driving Model 3 for a month. Love it.
Today I hopped in my 2012 LEAF, had forgotten the key fob so doubled back into the house to grab it, then popped it into Drive, and then realized that I had to turn the car on first if I actually wanted to go somewhere.
Yesterday I drove my wife's 2011 Lexus RX450h, and when I was done I had to remember to put it in Park, and then when I walked away from the car I had to double back to lock it.
Funny how fast the brain adjusts to Model 3.
The notion of a key, or a fob, or even a power button, let alone selecting P, seems historical after just a month with Model 3.
Living in the future is a lot of fun.
Thanks to all at Tesla for making it possible.

I've only had my Model 3 for a little more a week, so I'm still getting used to everything... but I completely feel where you're coming from. I still find myself going through the motions that have become normal routine from driving "normal ICE cars" for so many years, like looking for the start/stop button, then reassuring myself that this step is N/A... and stopping for a moment outside of the car to lock it, then (again) reassuring myself that I can just walk away (I still can't help looking back to look for the flash and mirror fold)... our other car is a 2015 Lexus RX350 so all these "normal car" habits are still going to be reinforced when I drive it. While I appreciate Lexus's superior fit and finish, I've already starting to notice the hum of the engine and the smell of the exhaust in the morning... things I never noticed before that now actually stand out to me.

The biggest change I noticed after initially buying the Leaf, driving it for a month straight, then getting back into the ICE pickup with automatic transmission was the lack of regenerative (or even really engine) braking. Even though the pickup was just coasting/gliding along when I let off the accelerator pedal, for a split second, it felt like it was surging and speeding up since it didn’t start slowing down. I now remind myself of this difference as I start the engine anytime I get back into a gas car.

and the smell of the exhaust in the morning
Yeah, I find myself being wholly insulted by the smell of exhaust...but that journey started for me 6.33 years ago when my LEAF arrived. Now, with two EVs in the household, my sense that everyone I share the road with ought to also be in an EV is beginning to take hold. I have to catch myself not to become judgmental about it. Cars are long-lived assets that will take time to swap out across society. I preach that at myself anytime I take off from a red light and consume others' exhaust...sure wish Model 3 came with the Biohazard Mode option.

The biggest change I noticed after initially buying the Leaf, driving it for a month straight, then getting back into the ICE pickup with automatic transmission was the lack of regenerative (or even really engine) braking. Even though the pickup was just coasting/gliding along when I let off the accelerator pedal, for a split second, it felt like it was surging and speeding up since it didn’t start slowing down. I now remind myself of this difference as I start the engine anytime I get back into a gas car.
I'm the same...jump in an ICE car, lift off the accelerator to slow and NOTHING.. Oh, crap! I have to brake!

Less than a week with M3. Haven’t driven an ICE yet since I got it. I’m having a blast with this car. It seems it was just made for me! It’s everything I want fast, raisor sharp steering, flat handling, superb sound system, seat that fits me not too graby and not too slippery, not too hard not too soft. Great exterior design and functional interior. Never missed the dials in front of me not even one second. I knew the car and how it functions real well the day I picked it up. Still learning though. My biggest challenge is driving it in town without autopilot after my 32 mile commute on the 405 with autopilot. Oh hell I have to push the go pedal (rarely the brakes) and steer? What the hell Elon why do I have to still do this! Conversely, on the freeway with autopilot sometimes I get bored and I grab the steering wheel yank it really hard to get rid of autosteer and push up the drive lever to cancel ACC push the go pedal all the way and enjoy. From stop lights it seems other cars hardly move! I feel like I have to check my tire wear already!!
The best part is I accelerate fast but this thing is so efficient that so far I average 266Wh/mile for 320 Miles, 242 today for 82 Miles, and get this 536 for the past 3 Miles (it was fun accerating on a steep uphill!) and hardly ever use the brakes.
How would I even drive an ICE after this?!;)

OP, I noticed that with my Model S. I've actually left my wife's BMW running in the driveway. Oops. It is amazing how quickly you adjust. On an unrelated note, I have been searching for a good picture of silver with uncovered aeros. Could you post a few good pics of your car?
Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
I haven't even sat in any of my ICE vehicles!
My son is road tripping a bit this summer, so he's been using the 3 the past few weeks, relegating me to the LEAF and even an ICE vehicle in the family motorpool now and then. I left the key in the ignition of an ICE car twice today; used it to keep the engine lubricated while son is zipping around the Southeast in the 3. Will be at 4k on the odometer by Sunday, 5k by end of month (Hilton Head is next).

Could you post a few good pics of your car?
I really don't have m/any. But here's one that will give you a decent sense of the look you seek...
Model 3.jpeg

OP, I noticed that with my Model S. I've actually left my wife's BMW running in the driveway. Oops. It is amazing how quickly you adjust.
Yeah, muscle memory. My wife drives a Prius, which has a button instead of key. My SUV has a key. In the Prius, if you push the button to turn off the car, it puts the car in park automatically (and the shifter does not have "Park" on it - though there is a separate "Park" button). In my car, I have to put it in park before turning it off or it will remain in gear. So my muscle memory is "if key, then put in park. If start/stop button, then just press it". So when we rented a car on a trip, it was a push button for on/off, but it also had a "Park" on the shifter, and I had to put it in park. 2 times I just turned the car off and then released my foot from the break and the car started to roll. Muscle memory is not good. I really wish cars standardized these things. :)

I’ve almost turned on the wipers when trying to put the RX in drive or reverse more times than I’d like to admit.

MB has the same gear selector as Tesla so it will not be a problem getting use to it. My wife's Subaru has the wipers on the right stalk and every time I drive her car, the first thing I do is accidentally turn on the wipers (luckily, I have yet to hit the washer spray thinking I put it in Park although it may not have a button at the tip).

Brought my Model 3 into the service center yesterday (hopefully getting it back today) to replace the charge port door. I was hoping for a Model S loaner but all they had available were two ICE vehicles. I got a Lincoln MKX as my loaner. Feels like driving a dinosaur: slow acceleration, sloppy handling, crappy braking, HORRIBLE IN CAR ELECTRONICS

I can’t wait to get my Model 3 back. No way I’d ever buy an ICE vehicle again!

Reactions: gavine and Arpe
I've only had my Model 3 for a little more a week, so I'm still getting used to everything... but I completely feel where you're coming from. I still find myself going through the motions that have become normal routine from driving "normal ICE cars" for so many years, like looking for the start/stop button, then reassuring myself that this step is N/A... and stopping for a moment outside of the car to lock it, then (again) reassuring myself that I can just walk away (I still can't help looking back to look for the flash and mirror fold)... our other car is a 2015 Lexus RX350 so all these "normal car" habits are still going to be reinforced when I drive it. While I appreciate Lexus's superior fit and finish, I've already starting to notice the hum of the engine and the smell of the exhaust in the morning... things I never noticed before that now actually stand out to me.

Do you have kids? I am currently driving a RX350 as well and thinking after I got my Model 3, am I going to just drive the EV. I have 2 kids and they are 5 year old and 7 months old

I lusted after an Infiniti G37 for years. When we finally got one a few years ago. I thought it was awesome. Fast, good handling, refined, etc. Now it feels boring & slow. We're going on a short vacation in a few weeks and I was depressed looking at rental cars. I looked for a Model 3 on Turo and the're going for $150/day or more. Don't think I want to spend that on a rental car so I'm going to be stuck driving a "Toyota Corolla or similar".:( (LOL)

Do you have kids? I am currently driving a RX350 as well and thinking after I got my Model 3, am I going to just drive the EV. I have 2 kids and they are 5 year old and 7 months old
I do... 3 and 1... the Model 3 is now my daily driver. We’ve been taking it on the weekends for short local trips and it has been great. The RX is still the go-to family SUV for longer trips, if we need to seat 5 (Model 3 is good for 4 with the 2 car seats in the rear), or if we need the big cargo space.