Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving my Model S in extreme winter conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's right, the Roadster does it. In fact, two big things are missing that the Roadster has - the charge timer and pack warming. Both are relatively simple functions... so the most likely explanation for the delay in releasing them is that they're working on something VERY sophisticated, which optimizes everything for you automatically.

Imagine entering your TOU rate plan into the car. Now you tell it what time(s) you want it to be ready. The car automatically adjusts its charging timing, current, pack heating, etc., so the car is fully charged, the pack is nice and toasty, the cabin is warm, and everything ready to go at your designated time and at minimum electricity cost. Of course if the car isn't plugged in it can still preheat the pack and cabin. And if you decide that you want to leave at a different time, you can let the car know through your mobile app and it will adjust its schedule accordingly.

That's my guess, anyway.

Doug,

You have my vote for Canadian engineering consultant at Tesla Motors !

:)

Imagine entering your TOU rate plan into the car. Now you tell it what time(s) you want it to be ready. The car automatically adjusts its charging timing, current, pack heating, etc., so the car is fully charged, the pack is nice and toasty, the cabin is warm, and everything ready to go at your designated time and at minimum electricity cost.

That's how the Chevy Volt does it today, and you can set it up on the car's touch screen, the web site or on the Apple or Android mobile app.

@stachler: ......You can force this warming to start up while you're still plugged in, however, by forcing the battery to charge for 30-40 minutes before you plan to start driving. If necessary, start a Range charge at low amperage (e.g. 240V at 6 amps). Once the battery is warm, I am able to meet or beat the EPA rated Wh/mile.

Can this be done with an iPhone app to warm up the battery and car before planned departures?

Can this be done with an iPhone app to warm up the battery and car before planned departures?

Actually, the answer is, "Not yet." The promised app, apparently already OKed by Apple, will/should be able to do that; the Android version is not yet approved, though, and TM wants to release both together.

In the meantime, the key battery "work-around" is to arrange that the car is still actively charging, no matter how slowly, when you want to leave. Various approaches, from putting it on 120V to setting the amperage low, to going to the car ½-1 hr. before leaving and setting it to Max at low amperage, etc., are used to achieve that without having the car "top off" and go off "shore power" and subsequently cool down (battery).

But there is no good work-around for the cabin heating yet. Some have left the driver door closed but not fully latched so it is seen as "open" by the car. May be workable in your own garage, I don't know.

IAC, the "app" is due to be released this month. "Any day now ..." :biggrin:

BTW; there are NO winter/snow tires available for the 21" wheels. Some have even considered trying to get 22" for the MS, from 3rd party or aftermarket supplier, as there is more choice. Complicated and difficult. Right now, the 19" wheels are the only option for true winter driving. Those using the 21" in snow and/or ice are counting heavily on the TM Traction Control magic to survive.

For heavy and deep snow, there are better options, but check the tire review websites for info.

Actually, the answer is, "Not yet." The promised app, apparently already OKed by Apple, will/should be able to do that; the Android version is not yet approved, though, and TM wants to release both together.

In the meantime, the key battery "work-around" is to arrange that the car is still actively charging, no matter how slowly, when you want to leave. Various approaches, from putting it on 120V to setting the amperage low, to going to the car ½-1 hr. before leaving and setting it to Max at low amperage, etc., are used to achieve that without having the car "top off" and go off "shore power" and subsequently cool down (battery).

But there is no good work-around for the cabin heating yet. Some have left the driver door closed but not fully latched so it is seen as "open" by the car. May be workable in your own garage, I don't know.

IAC, the "app" is due to be released this month. "Any day now ..." :biggrin:

BTW; there are NO winter/snow tires available for the 21" wheels. Some have even considered trying to get 22" for the MS, from 3rd party or aftermarket supplier, as there is more choice. Complicated and difficult. Right now, the 19" wheels are the only option for true winter driving. Those using the 21" in snow and/or ice are counting heavily on the TM Traction Control magic to survive.

For heavy and deep snow, there are better options, but check the tire review websites for info.

There's a lot of guesses and assumptions stated as fact in there.

That's how the Chevy Volt does it today, and you can set it up on the car's touch screen, the web site or on the Apple or Android mobile app.

It works very well on the Volt. Tesla will get there soon.

- - - Updated - - -

That's right, the Roadster does it. In fact, two big things are missing that the Roadster has - the charge timer and pack warming. Both are relatively simple functions... so the most likely explanation for the delay in releasing them is that they're working on something VERY sophisticated, which optimizes everything for you automatically.

I wonder why Tesla did not bring these features forward to the MS?

Anybody know the story on why the Model S doesn't continually keep the battery warm while plugged in but not charging? (I've heard the Roadster does this) Seems like quite the oversight to me.

Were they trying to cut down on energy usage (similarly to how block heaters now don't work above -17*C)? Trying to maximize need for their mobile app?

The battery will look after the car, but won't stay warm to save on energy use. Coming soon will be some cool things that will enable you to get your car warm before you get in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine entering your TOU rate plan into the car. Now you tell it what time(s) you want it to be ready. The car automatically adjusts its charging timing, current, pack heating, etc., so the car is fully charged, the pack is nice and toasty, the cabin is warm, and everything ready to go at your designated time and at minimum electricity cost. Of course if the car isn't plugged in it can still preheat the pack and cabin. And if you decide that you want to leave at a different time, you can let the car know through your mobile app and it will adjust its schedule accordingly.

That's my guess, anyway.

Good guessing. ;)

Defogging Solution

Kimbal,

Thanks also for the report. I have also done a few winter road trips, including several 300 km legs at temperatures between -10C and -18C. I must say the Model S is far more comfortable doing this than the Roadster!

It is not, however, perfect; I have to agree with pbrulott. You will not see the fogging problem in low humidity conditions. Try driving in a snowstorm; things will be very different.

At -10C and below, in high humidity, the left side of the windshield never clears. Worse, the driver's side window progressively frosts over until it is impossible to see the rear view mirror. A week ago I had to stop in the middle of a 300 km road trip to buy a hand scraper. I had to use it every 20 minutes to clear the side window enough to see the outside rear view mirror. This is awkward to do while driving, but was essential for safety because the rear view camera kept getting caked with snow and was not usable. Yes the conditions were pretty awful.

@Doug_G and others with defogging issues in cold northern humid regions:
From Tesla: "We have designed a new vent with much improved defogging flow for very cold regions. It is in testing now and should be available to customers in three to four weeks. It will be retrofitted free upon request."

Personally, I have not found it to be a serious issue in Colorado, so will not take the retrofit. It sounds like it is a good idea for anyone up in Canada.

Kimbal

From Tesla: "We have designed a new vent with much improved defogging flow for very cold regions. It is in testing now and should be available to customers in three to four weeks. It will be retrofitted free upon request."

Personally, I have not found it to be a serious issue in Colorado, so will not take the retrofit. It sounds like it is a good idea for anyone up in Canada.

Kimbal

So, any other car makers taking care of their customers this well?

*crickets*

Didn't think so.

I'll likely take the retrofit myself. MY fogging isn't in the realm of dangerous, just annoying.

Kimbal

Kimbal,

Hearing that Tesla is so responsive on an issue like fogging in cold climate and coming with a solution so quickly is very impressive. This is what will motivate us, early-adopters, to continue praising Tesla. I'm sure I sold more than 10 Model S in my province. ;) and will continue to do so.

Hearing that Tesla is so responsive on an issue like fogging in cold climate and coming with a solution so quickly is very impressive. This is what will motivate us, early-adopters, to continue praising Tesla. I'm sure I sold more than 10 Model S in my province. ;) and will continue to do so.
I wish they'd be more public about it though -- read blog posts on the official site, instead of forum posts on a fan/club site.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking though.

Kimbal

Awesome, thanks for passing that along. I want to be first in line for that one!