Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lived in Norway for 5 years and quickly learnt that the best way to drive on snow is not to use the brakes unless absolutely necessary. I live on a very steep road in Scotland that isn’t ploughed in winter as it is considered too dangerous to plough (a few years ago a plough slid off the road and overturned). I have managed previously by keeping my cars in very low gear when descending. But I can foresee a problem with the Tesla if I have fully charged the battery when I have a long trip ahead - this week I am setting off for a 600 mile round trip and snow is forecast. A full battery gives very limited regeneration, especially if a bit cold. So how can I keep the car slow going down hill?!

My understanding is that limited regen for reasons of high SoC alone only comes in the very high 90s. However you'll also get it at lower SoC for reasons of cold alone. If you're on a trip that long you'll have stops regardless, so starting SoC within a few % probably makes no difference.

Note also you can also reduce regen limiting by charging late and running hvac simultaneously. That's what I'd do in that situation, without caring too much whether I was charged to 90%, 95% or whatever.

I lived in Norway for 5 years and quickly learnt that the best way to drive on snow is not to use the brakes unless absolutely necessary. I live on a very steep road in Scotland that isn’t ploughed in winter as it is considered too dangerous to plough (a few years ago a plough slid off the road and overturned). I have managed previously by keeping my cars in very low gear when descending. But I can foresee a problem with the Tesla if I have fully charged the battery when I have a long trip ahead - this week I am setting off for a 600 mile round trip and snow is forecast. A full battery gives very limited regeneration, especially if a bit cold. So how can I keep the car slow going down hill?!

Norway is jam packed full of Model 3s so they must be managing somehow! If you want regen then don't charge to 100%. Sometimes being sudden with the lift off could potentially cause a slide, just from the regen effect, so super smooth is the recommendation. Winter tyres are also going to be a massive help so I presume you have them fitted. The "no brakes" advice is (as you say) unless necessary; sometimes it's necessary to gently use brakes to avoid building up speed. Personally I miss having a handbrake for snow conditions, but that was particularly useful for front wheel drive cars... and great fun!

I read in other threads from people where snow is regularly encountered that the use of low regen seems to be the preference - a general search for 'snow mode' (a much requested mode) brings up the sort of settings people would like - another is less rear drive bias if you have AWD.

Also, don't forget 'slip start' if you get stuck.

Thanks for all your advice folk.

A few years back I went on an off-road driving course and some of the tricks they taught me, although very effective, can be pretty scary. One thing I learnt was that if you are going down hill and the car starts to slide then use the accelerator to bring the wheel speed up to the road speed to regain grip. It works but it never feels right to accelerate when sliding!

Reactions: Mr Miserable
Back in the days when i had a Rover SD1 the solution to snow was 20x25Kg bags of kitty litter in the boot. You'ld thnk the battery weight would keep Teslas grounded. The real problem is ice under the snow or snow compacted to ice. Even my farm tractor has slid down a hilly road like that - when there's no traction theres no traction.

Back in the days when i had a Rover SD1 the solution to snow was 20x25Kg bags of kitty litter in the boot. You'ld thnk the battery weight would keep Teslas grounded. The real problem is ice under the snow or snow compacted to ice. Even my farm tractor has slid down a hilly road like that - when there's no traction theres no traction.

Off topic, but I thought I recognised this username. You're a member at RCHeliAddict.

Reckon a PL8 Duo will charge the model 3? :D

Some folk say they set regen to low in icy conditions because they think regen increases the chances of locking up and skidding - but I doubt they have been driving in Norway for 5 years! However, if they are correct then losing some regen due to a full/cold battery and relying on the brakes might not be such a bad thing.

I swap to winter tyres each winter and so far I've found my RWD Model S has been very surefooted on icy Aberdonian side streets - but I don't face a steep unploughed road every morning.

It's refreshing to read about someone thinking about how they are going to stop rather than get going ("why would I need winter tyres - I've got AWD!").

Reactions: Tonybvi
Some folk say they set regen to low in icy conditions because they think regen increases the chances of locking up and skidding - but I doubt they have been driving in Norway for 5 years! However, if they are correct then losing some regen due to a full/cold battery and relying on the brakes might not be such a bad thing.

I swap to winter tyres each winter and so far I've found my RWD Model S has been very surefooted on icy Aberdonian side streets - but I don't face a steep unploughed road every morning.

It's refreshing to read about someone thinking about how they are going to stop rather than get going ("why would I need winter tyres - I've got AWD!").

I see that you’re local to me so you’ll know the road I’m talking about - the Cairn o’Mount, So you’ll understand why the very first thing I did with the MX was get a set of winter wheels and tyres. So far this year we’ve had no snow but it’s forecast tonight and I’m heading off over tomorrow early. If it’s too bad I’ll have to take the Slug over to Stonehaven and down from there.

I see that you’re local to me so you’ll know the road I’m talking about - the Cairn o’Mount, So you’ll understand why the very first thing I did with the MX was get a set of winter wheels and tyres. So far this year we’ve had no snow but it’s forecast tonight and I’m heading off over tomorrow early. If it’s too bad I’ll have to take the Slug over to Stonehaven and down from there.
Lol that must be the steepest road this side of Tomintoul! Very popular with masochistic cyclists :)
Sounds like you're well prepared. As mentioned above, to preserve some regen your best option is to set an overnight charge to complete just before you set off, and set the limit to 90/95% rather than going all the way to 100. The warm battery has the added benefit of reducing your initial consumption as the car won't need to use the battery heater, so that will preserve a little more range. Safe driving!

Reactions: Tonybvi
Aberdeenshire to Preston today - 300 miles in the foulest of weathers. Queensferry Crossing closed all day, M74 southbound closed until 2pm. Very heavy snow around Abington. But we did it in about 6 1/2 hours with the Tesla performing like a dream. Very quick charges at Perth and Abington superchargers (15 to 20 minutes each from around 40-50% to 85-90%) to be on the safe side but could have got away with Abington only.
All in all I am really please with the way the MX performed in such appalling conditions.
Luckily no snow over the Cairn as despite charging to 85% from 60% immediately before leaving home as well as preconditioning there was no noticeable regen for about 20 miles.

Luckily no snow over the Cairn as despite charging to 85% from 60% immediately before leaving home as well as preconditioning there was no noticeable regen for about 20 miles.

I am now thinking that the home charging rate doesn't warm the battery enough to make a significant difference to regen when it's cold. It's probably better just to charge up at night as usual and then switch on the heating/precondition for 15 or 20 minutes before leaving.