Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am now thinking that the home charging rate doesn't warm the battery enough to make a significant difference to regen when it's cold. It's probably better just to charge up at night as usual and then switch on the heating/precondition for 15 or 20 minutes before leaving.

I think this too, for 32a/7kw. On 3 phase it's a bit of a different story but either way a few mins on full defrost before departure makes a significant difference to regen.

I also now notice the battery heater icon in the app in the climate screen sometimes. Not sure if new though or just me.

Aberdeenshire to Preston today - 300 miles in the foulest of weathers. Queensferry Crossing closed all day, M74 southbound closed until 2pm. Very heavy snow around Abington. But we did it in about 6 1/2 hours with the Tesla performing like a dream. Very quick charges at Perth and Abington superchargers (15 to 20 minutes each from around 40-50% to 85-90%) to be on the safe side but could have got away with Abington only.
All in all I am really please with the way the MX performed in such appalling conditions.
Luckily no snow over the Cairn as despite charging to 85% from 60% immediately before leaving home as well as preconditioning there was no noticeable regen for about 20 miles.
Wow, that's what I call a winter road test! Glad the MX was up to it & you sensibly charged up and avoided being caught out by the road closures.
Do you charge at 32A (7kW) at home? I find 1-2 hours is enough to give me a bit of regen on my S70. It's not the full amount but better than nothing. Admittedly I know this from looking at the dashed lines on the energy meter - you might not feel the difference descending Cairn o' Mount! I'd say about half the dashes typically disappear after a home charge - but it may be on a logarithmic scale.

Yep, I charge at 32A / 7Kw at home. If I put the climate on at home I notice that the battery heating icon on the app illuminates when cold and I get the same icon when charging without having the climate on. On my last trip I charged from around 60% to 85% immediately before leaving (started charging around 8am for a 10am departure) but didn’t turn the climate on. The battery heat icon was on for a while when I first started charging.
The energy meter had a couple less regen bars when I left home but this made hardly any difference when coming down the Cairn so gentle braking was required!

Incidentally the trip meter when we arrived after 304 miles in strong winds and pretty heavy snow for most of the way showed an average of about 435 watts/mile which given that I had lights, heating and wipers on for nearly all the journey plus battling very very strong headwinds I reckon is quite acceptable for the X.

Incidentally the trip meter when we arrived after 304 miles in strong winds and pretty heavy snow for most of the way showed an average of about 435 watts/mile which given that I had lights, heating and wipers on for nearly all the journey plus battling very very strong headwinds I reckon is quite acceptable for the X.

I don't know if anybody has numbers but those winds we've been having must be an ultimate range killer if you are driving into them!

What’s an M3 SR+ like on snow and ice being only RWD?

I have winter tyres on but it's absolutely solid and confidence inspiring... so, very good indeed and much much better than I ever expected. The traction control on the M3 is so good (invisible) that you are hardly aware that it is 2 wheel drive. Winter tyres are a new thing to me and what swung it was seeing tests on all wheel drive vehicles with standard tyres and 2 wheel drive with winters .. the 2 wheel drives with winters come out on top.

Norway is jam packed full of Model 3s so they must be managing somehow! If you want regen then don't charge to 100%. Sometimes being sudden with the lift off could potentially cause a slide, just from the regen effect, so super smooth is the recommendation. Winter tyres are also going to be a massive help so I presume you have them fitted. The "no brakes" advice is (as you say) unless necessary; sometimes it's necessary to gently use brakes to avoid building up speed. Personally I miss having a handbrake for snow conditions, but that was particularly useful for front wheel drive cars... and great fun!

Actually, the Model 3 does have a "handbrake".. try holding down the button on the right hand stalk while moving and see what happens ;-)
It's actually possible to do handbrake turns! - I only know this because i did by mistake!

Clearly no mathematicians out there today to spot the error in post #24

Started charging on 7Kw charger at around 6am not 8am!!
I think the mathematicians assumed you had an X60 :cool: (I think the maths would just about work for 25% in 2 hours!)
My S70 charges almost exactly 10%/hour on 7 kW which is handy for estimating charge times.

That said, long distance driving in an X60 in winter means a lot of charging stops (by Tesla standards).

Reactions: Tonybvi
Actually, the Model 3 does have a "handbrake".. try holding down the button on the right hand stalk

Thats officially emergency stop

upload_2020-2-13_17-29-3.png