TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Driving on the sand? Ocean Shores

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Screwbal, May 28, 2017.

1. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

anyone taken their S out to ocean shores? Late last minute thing but was about to drive out there today and curious if people have had problems or it is pretty safe if you're not in the lose stuff by the dunes etc?

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

Wrong tool for the job, I wouldn't bring my tesla onto beach

• Like x 1
  3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

4. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

P1020662.jpg

• Like x 6
  5. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

I've driven on those beaches when I drove an ICE. I'm sure the Tesla would handle it even better, so I wouldn't hesitate to do so. So basically I disagree with a lot of the people in this thread.

Be sure to let know how it went!

• Like x 2
  6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

7. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Obviously you shouldn't drive like a moron if you choose to drive on the beach. But driving on the beach is fairly standard practice here and a Model S handles those type of surfaces far better than the average car (especially if it's a D). The shoreline is literally a state highway.

8. Xenoilphobe

The sand out there must be different than the stuff here in MD and VA - you will bury the car to the axles in most situations. I know I have done it multiple times and had to dig out.

9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

it all depends on the type of sand you're driving on, from the picture it appears that your beach is very hard packed and driving on it would not present many issues, here where I am driving on some beaches is problematic because the sand is "fluffier" and really only suited to SUV type vehicles. one thing people do here when driving on the beach is to release air from the tires so the present a larger surface on the sand. so here in FLA I would not consider taking my tesla onto the sandy beaches.

10. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

I love going to Ocean Shores and driving on the beach. It's part of the fun going out there to push your luck by driving on the sugar sand trying not to get stuck, but only if you've got buddies w/ you in other vehicles. I've driven a sports car down the beach before, no problems at all (I didn't attempt to take it into the dry stuff). Just lower your tires to ~15 psi, stay on the packed stuff near the water and you'll never have a problem. Bring a pump to air them up again before heading out.

11. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Okay but the OP literally asked (in the thread title) about driving his Tesla on the beach at Ocean Shores, WA. And then about half the responses are from east coast guy saying not to do it, because they wouldn't do it on their beaches.

All the links to videos of people getting their cars stuck in sand is no different than posting a bunch of clips of random cars crashing in winter conditions when someone starts a thread about driving a Tesla in the snow. A Model S D performs very well in the snow and likely would perform well on the beach at Ocean Shores. Standard warnings about driving on non-standard surfaces do apply.

12. Xenoilphobe

13. stopcrazypp

The OP didn't capitalize ocean shores in the original question. I though he was asking about any old ocean shore, not a place called Ocean Shores specifically. I'm pretty sure others were similarly confused.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

It was capitalized in the thread title and placed on the Northwest forum. I feel like I'm debating with Russian trolls here :)

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  15. kort677

kort677 Active Member

#15 kort677, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    this is the original;
    Screwbal, Sunday at 5:22 PM
    anyone taken their S out to ocean shores?

no caps there!
    do us all a favor and leave the moderating to the moderators!

16. stopcrazypp

I didn't notice that at first, I select threads from the New Posts section, don't actually go through the forum sections.

• Like x 1
  17. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

My photo above was taken on the beach AT Ocean Shores, WA. Just stay out of the wet sand, on the compacted dense flat sand. You can see that that deeper part of my tire treads is not sand filled. It was a fun drive.

18. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

I know an old coworker who got his car stuck at Ocean Shores.. was a total loss (including his work laptop in the trunk) when the tide came in. So be careful, then again I heard he didn't make the most logical choices too...

19. Yarder

Yarder Member

It's OK. There's a couple of vehicle recovery companies at Ocean Shores, Washington. They have a tracked vehicle, much like a tank that can go in the surf to push it out. And don't worry, the insurance company will total your car out without an inspection, as they pull it up on the scrap car flatbed. I've personally witnessed all of this, and took the pictures. I have more if you like, it was fun to watch! When the surf flips your car over, it's really exciting watching the car violently spin around! And no, they didn't park in the water, they were approx 100 yards away when a little wave came up to the front tires, just touching them and before you know it, it was stuck and then the tide came in about 10 minutes later.

So yea, go ahead! Car in surf.jpg surf recovery.jpg Junk car.jpg

• Like x 1
  20. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Whether you read it or not, it was indeed capitalized in the thread title.