Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on the sand? Ocean Shores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Food for thought... we perform undercarriage steam-cleaning on vehicles, and every summer we get many jobs (4-10) from weekend warriors who've driven on the beach then acquire the most horrendous rancid rotten fish odor in their cars a couple days later. It's great work for us at $300-$500 a pop but sometimes even after steam cleaning it takes weeks for the odor to completely dissipate.
Having said this, I've driven my truck on the beach to go razor clamming many times with no odor problems. But then again I drive slow and try not to flick a bunch of sand up in my fender wells either for this exact reason.
As a car guy in the car business I would not drive my own passenger car on the beach unless I really didn't care about the chances of the odor issue or more importantly, the corrosive nature of spraying salt water and sand underneath a car.
Just my observations!

In case anyone was interested, along that section of beach, just north of Oceans Shores, is the only official beach airport in the continental US. Copalis State Airport. The sand on that section of WA coast is so densely packed that you can literally land a plane on it.

Copalis.jpg

30jkayr.jpg

In case anyone was interested, along that section of beach, just north of Oceans Shores, is the only official beach airport in the continental US. Copalis State Airport. The sand on that section of WA coast is so densely packed that you can literally land a plane on it.

That's very true. Airplanes and helicopters do indeed land on that beach airport. BTW, aircraft have the right of way there.

HOWEVER, to DRIVE to that section of the beach, you only have to ford one body of water on the beach as it empties into the ocean, Boone Creek, right at the Iron Springs Resort. Boone Creek hardly ever gets over a foot deep as it spreads out close to the water. During clam digging season, the only rigs you see south of Boone Creek are four wheel drive pickups, you know, the ones with the big tires!

I have flown into Copalis State Airport a half dozen times with my turbo arrow over the years.

You have to make sure that you stay on wet sand, I got into the dry stuff one year and got it stuck. Had to have the prop repainted when I got back!!!!

It's also a good idea to rinse with fresh water anytime you go near salt water...

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
Really dude???? And 21" wheels with low-profile tires??

Swan Beach - 4 x 4 territory on the very north end of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. BTW - Signs all over saying don't try this even with AWD and then lower tire pressure to 20lbs. That was one expensive tow - the local tow operators just sit at the entrance to the beach and wait...and charge rates scaled to the cost of the vehicle!
IMG_4430.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: Fresh Start Detail