Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Range less than expected with new MY-LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What am I doing wrong here? 😂
0F52C5D9-8761-4798-9040-4C1ADF856F2C.jpeg

What am I doing wrong here? 😂
View attachment 818060
The main trend I notice is that longer drives mean lower efficiency. If I make the assumption that longer drives are on the highway and that you’re driving 80 MPH on the highway since you live in TX, I would say it indicates that fast speeds mean lower efficiency.

What did you use to get your data, BTW? I assume it’s from a site like TeslaFi or something similar? (that’s 3 assumptions in 3 sentence post. I‘m doing good!)

Try preconditioning using the Tesla app, preferably while plugged, in for at least 5 minutes to cool down the Tesla vehicle before driving. This is especially helpful for the morning commute. The AC has to work hard when the outside temperature is above 90F. A good ceramic tint film the windshield and all of the other side glass can help. The glass roof has factory UV and IR (heat) rejection treatment so adding a tint to the glass roof will offer only some additional benefit. A mesh sunshade for the glass roof (many one piece and two piece designs are available) can reduce the intensity of the sun on your head as you drive.

Reactions: sleepydoc
The main trend I notice is that longer drives mean lower efficiency. If I make the assumption that longer drives are on the highway and that you’re driving 80 MPH on the highway since you live in TX, I would say it indicates that fast speeds mean lower efficiency.

What did you use to get your data, BTW? I assume it’s from a site like TeslaFi or something similar? (that’s 3 assumptions in 3 sentence post. I‘m doing good!)
You’ve got a good average lol. Yup I’m using teslafi with a calibrated wh/mi using the trip computer. I think Teslafi calculates the wh/mi based off of miles vs KWh used. So you can input a correction factor if the calculation is off.

15 miles is a long drive? It’s 40 miles to Walmart! Lol

Here is the same chart at drives longer than 5 miles. We usually precondition the cabin for 10 mins while connected to a HPWC.
979FFA28-8344-492A-B9AE-5C029A51FF43.jpeg

Also for reference is my M3LR driven in the same area and same conditions.
674C38CE-527E-4DEA-AA96-4CFDC7CC7837.jpeg

I think this proves beyond any doubt that the Model Y is larger then the Model 3.

Coming back from our cabin. Battery charge 79% down to 32%. Used FSD & AP, set to 4 MPH over the speed limit (59 MPH on state highways most of the way, 64 MPH on the interstate for the last ⅓ of the trip)

View attachment 816024
So we just drove the same trip again today and got 251 Wh/mi. We did make one stop at a store during which my wife stayed in the car so it stayed on for about 15 minutes but the big difference was a 20 MPH (8.5-9 m/s) head wind for half the trip.

Funny you say this because it is obviously 100% true but we have about 5,000 miles of road tripping since picking up our MYLR last November and we have past more superchargers than we have stopped at by a lot. I guess double that number if you throw EA in there. Our range anxiety was squashed the moment we started flying past chargers lol.
That's true if you drive interstates, but get off the beaten path and it's a different ballgame. That's when I drive and ice vehicle.

So I decided to run a test the other day - I took a short route doing 2 round trips. The first time I accelerated aggressively, the second time I was more conservatively. The trip was about 8 miles and involved accelerating onto an interstate several times. It was a round trip and identical both times with the exception of how I accelerated. As you can see from the numbers it‘s not a huge difference but acceleration definitely matters.
9BCBED7A-56BA-43ED-8BDF-E4B4BA97B8CE.jpeg

2091DA5B-A4B1-4A72-B776-B9BEDFA47050.jpeg