Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Route 66 - in a model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do all my planning with ABetterRouterPlanner.com, there is also an app for your phone or iPad, So I can do all my planning outside the car and then track it on the web browser in the car. It's very sophisticated, even has many of the non-supercharger chargers out there already mapped.
ABRP is great, but won't work for this trip without too much extensive work. It's a really complicated route I'll be taking, none of it is the sensible fastest point A to point B type thing, and wrestling the ABRP interface with dropping in a hundred waypoints per route is too much work. I did find a reliable way to use google maps and my GPS, so I'm covered technologywise, and I have good paper maps and the EZ66 book which is really nice.

I don’t think there is a Supercharger in Winona AZ
True, but If you have made it from Gallup New Mexico to Flagstaff Arizona it's too late to go to Winona.

But, yeah, there isn't a Supercharger there, there isn't even a future pin for that one, so I was not expecting there to be one anytime soon. Whereas the St. Louis one has been there for a time.

Reactions: totoro722
I'm day 3 of this trip. I've made it to Chicago the first day, and started at the beginning the next morning. By the end of today I've made it to Fort Robert in Missouri. Lot of wear and tear on the suspension - a ton a bumpy roads along the way. The car is doing great, and is a joy to drive for this. Not much autopilot use - I'm using TACC most of the time, but there's so much weird crap and potholes etc. in the roads that it's easier to just pay attention and steer the thing. Had a bit of a scare today when a pop up on the screen came on, telling me that supercharging was disabled, as I didn't have a valid card on file in my account. Of course I do actually, it was just some side effect of the server melt down today. Thankfully it corrected itself within about 2 hours - I sat at a supercharger not charging, decided to update the car, so tethered it to my phone, downloaded the latest update, and ran it. When I got done the server problem had been semi-fixed - still no card on my account or way to add one, but at least it let me charge.

Here's the car at an old gas station in Dwight, IL. While they no longer pump gas here, there is a charging station!
DSC01781_AuroraHDR2019-edit.jpg

Here's a pic from Uranus, because... well.
DSC01929_AuroraHDR2019-edit.jpg

In Chicago I parked in a garage near my hotel. Sentry caught these guys at about 1:30 AM - my guess is the guy was just showing off for his buddies, judging from the minimal amount of effort he put into messing with the handle. He tried a few nearby cars also after mine.
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 9.28.11 PM.jpg

Re: Dwight, IL, Google Maps has this when you search for that city:

Dwight,IL.jpg

Re: Chicago These are the times I wish there was a DC-AC inverter wired to the door handles. Had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago at home. My home security video captured several guys going down the street checking doors.

Keep up the trip details. We're living vicariously through you... :)

Day 4! Drove through most of Oklahoma today. Tulsa and Oklahoma City are long and arduous, with the occasional surprises. There's a long section after you drive through OK City that's a cool straight shot on the original road, except for the fact that the original road is comprised of Portland concrete slabs that are all out of alignment after 85 years. Washboard effect. Compounded by the model 3's somewhat stiff suspension, it's an exhilarating ride.

IMG_2727.jpg

DSC02061_AuroraHDR2019-edit-2.jpg

Relive 'Route 66 day 4'

Maybe I'll wait to do this until not only the St. Louis Supercharger opening but until I have a CyberTruck to do it smoothly on that rough road.

The only part that probably needs a CyberTruck is going through the Mohave on the old road between Needles and Barstow - like down by Amboy. IIRC, there is a bridge or two out now - so it may not even be drivable by a regular car.

sduck: Be sure to take a lot of photos at the Shamrock Supercharger. (If you've ever seen the movie "Cars", Ramons House of Body Art is styled after the Shamrock U-Drop Inn - where the Supercharger is located.)

Also take the obligatory photo op at the Midpoint Cafe in Adrian.

Last edited:
Randy - the Mehlville SC in St. Louis isn't too far off from the route. St. Louis is kind of a mess as far as route 66 goes anyway, so I just skipped the downtown area and went straight to the SC. I've been all over that downtown before anyway.

Oh, you mean this one? Yes folks, besides being an iconic old building that you've all seen pictures of, it's also a supercharger location!
DSC01174_AuroraHDR2019-edit-Edit.jpg

All I can say is, Take It Easy on your way back home.

edit: Actually this has been stuck in my head for a couple of days:

Don't really know why except that it turned up on my USB rotation and I can't seem to get rid of this earworm.

Last edited:
When you get to Kingman, check out the EV museum - co-located with the Route 66 museum in the old Powerhouse building. Then on to Oatman to feed some burros. The drive to Oatman, then on to Needles is not to be missed.
Sorry I missed the EV museum! Nuts. Although that drive over the mountain was perhaps the best drive I've ever done - fun road, amazing views, and burros! I made a time lapse video with a gopro of it - from the passenger perspective - if i had known how cool it was going to be I would've stuck the gopro on the roof.

I kept skipping this post, thinking, "hmm, someone else I know is doing the same thing." Duh. I'm glad you are finding a way to put your time off to good use!
Not to mention I needed to take some time off from the crazy amount of PR stuff I've been doing. But I got picked for one of those gigs in October, so now I'm going to have to find my cello and actually practice it when I get back.

Reactions: RedModel3
Follow up: I finished! Yay! The car was great, absolutely no issues with it or finding charging along the way. This was actually yesterday, I'm already on the way home now. You would not believe the layers of dust and bug guts that were on the front of the car - I spent some quality time at one of those self serve car washes tonight getting it ll off.

IMG_2788.jpg