Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving safety - backing/parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 MYLR built in Austin, one month old, 510 miles, still getting used to it. Also, I am 75 and purchased this car having been told it has advanced driving features which I need to rely on having vision in only one eye. Two very disconcerting issues lately. First, I inadvertently engaged reverse and would have hit another car behind me had I not braked in time. No warnings and no automatic braking from car. Second, parking in my small 2-car garage is a challenge. Sometimes the front alarm is way off and I end up stopping literally 3 inches before hitting something. Worse yet, today I came within inches of hitting my van parked next to me. No warnings! I cringe to to admit that I traded
Also, a few months back, someone posted they backed their new MY into a pillar in a parking garage. Again, how can this happen?
in my Kia and it NEVER had an issue. Plus, the Kia had RCTA, something else I will probably miss.
I love my Tesla and certainly want to keep it. Am I doing something wrong? I am pretty sure I have all the safety features set properly.

2022 MYLR built in Austin, one month old, 510 miles, still getting used to it. Also, I am 75 and purchased this car having been told it has advanced driving features which I need to rely on having vision in only one eye. Two very disconcerting issues lately. First, I inadvertently engaged reverse and would have hit another car behind me had I not braked in time. No warnings and no automatic braking from car. Second, parking in my small 2-car garage is a challenge. Sometimes the front alarm is way off and I end up stopping literally 3 inches before hitting something. Worse yet, today I came within inches of hitting my van parked next to me. No warnings! I cringe to to admit that I traded
Also, a few months back, someone posted they backed their new MY into a pillar in a parking garage. Again, how can this happen?
in my Kia and it NEVER had an issue. Plus, the Kia had RCTA, something else I will probably miss.
I love my Tesla and certainly want to keep it. Am I doing something wrong? I am pretty sure I have all the safety features set properly.
Did you set up the settings to warn you when approaching objects? When I come into the tight garage, with another vehicle already in, I get numerous audible warnings and messages to stop. But, I can see I still have at least 4 inches of clearance so I proceed to park in the garage. I use a ball suspended from the ceiling also to serve as a target when coming into the garage.

Did you set up the settings to warn you when approaching objects? When I come into the tight garage, with another vehicle already in, I get numerous audible warnings and messages to stop. But, I can see I still have at least 4 inches of clearance so I proceed to park in the garage. I use a ball suspended from the ceiling also to serve as a target when coming into the garage.
Pros
(1) How do U set it up to warn you? My 2023 MYLR does not come with USS, only cameras
(2) My previous Lexus WON'T allow me to back out if the cameras see SOMETHING in the back. If Tesla does not have this feature in 2023 then they are way behind Lexus in this category

Pros
(1) How do U set it up to warn you? My 2023 MYLR does not come with USS, only cameras
(2) My previous Lexus WON'T allow me to back out if the cameras see SOMETHING in the back. If Tesla does not have this feature in 2023 then they are way behind Lexus in this category
Take a look at the safety screen. I toggled the parking chimes to on. Note that there are still some gaps as I accidentally opened the rear hatch instead of the frunk and had the garage door closed. The rear hatch still opened and hit the garage door.