Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRIVING SCHOOL FOR NEW TESLA OWNERS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need lessons on how to use my new 2018 Model S 100D to its fullest capacity--settings, controls, navigation, etc.--including workarounds when the car doesn't operate as expected or when something goes wrong. It’s more of a computer on wheels than a car--for me the best and worst of both worlds--and I’m a bit scared to drive it. If I had someone to teach me about it, I think I’d feel more secure. I thought maybe forum members might be able to give me a referral. I'm in the Los Angeles area.

• Funny
Reactions: SummitX and GreenT
Honestly, it's a car, just get in and drive it.

While you say that it is a computer on wheels, the reality is that just about every car is that these days anyways.

My recommendation is to glance over the manual and mainly see the different topics. Drive it a few days and then come back and do a more in-depth read of the manual, it isn't hard to read. And waiting until you get a little experience in the car tends to mean that things make much more sense.

But it's a car, brakes, accelerator, steering wheel. All of that drives like a car (although the regenerative braking when releasing the accelerator can take some getting used to, a day).

The Electric Vehicle portion of the car means that you put a different type nozzle in the car and probably do it every evening.
The Adaptive Cruise Control and lane guidance, aka Autopilot, aren't unique to Tesla and exist on many cars. You will want to review the manual on how to invoke and operate.

Go find a road in the hills that you can drive without a bunch of other cars and just drive. If you fins a section that's got a speed limit of 30 or less, turn the volume down, roll your window down, and just listen to the world.

You maybe want to find a local club, Tesla or EV and drop by and talk to the fellow owners.

Hahaha @ewoodrick! I see you live in Georgia. I live in LA. There are no roads without people on them!

I have watched a ton of videos, looked at the manual, googled stuff, but inexplicable things happen, like when my mobile connector wouldn't come out of the charge port, then all of a sudden it did. When my friend waited in the car while I dropped a package off at UPS and got locked in the car with the AC off! He was pretty upset when I returned a few minutes later.

I'm not a complete nincompoop. I've been able to set up Homelink (took me several tries) and make other changes while the car is sitting in the driveway, like setting steering wheel feel, suspension, etc. I am getting around well enough as far as driving, but I'm not using the car to the full capacity, and I feel very nervous I'm may mess something up. My last car didn't have anywhere near the bells and whistles my Tesla does. As far as autopilot, forgetaboutit., so much negative press about crashing into things, I'm too freaked out to try it.

I'm making a list of questions that I may post here, but since I'm more of a kinesthetic learner, it'd sure help to have someone show me what to do, so I could then do it.

Reactions: Russell
I hate to say it, but the amount of drama in this post is so LA, lol.

I need lessons on how to use my new 2018 Model S 100D to its fullest capacity--settings, controls, navigation, etc.--including workarounds when the car doesn't operate as expected or when something goes wrong. It’s more of a computer on wheels than a car--for me the best and worst of both worlds--and I’m a bit scared to drive it. If I had someone to teach me about it, I think I’d feel more secure. I thought maybe forum members might be able to give me a referral. I'm in the Los Angeles area.

Since you think you'll need a "driving school" before you'll feel secure drive the Model S, you're probably better off just calling that Roadside Assistance in case something goes wrong. You can find that number on the bottom right of the pop-up screen when you press the T logo in the top middle of the MCU display....... :rolleyes:.

You know what? I took a road trip 100 miles away and although I didn't die from range anxiety, some weird things happened!

A nasty alarm went off while I was on the freeway--scared me to death! I thought it might be a front end collision alarm, but there was nothing in front of me! Also, there were times when my wheels would shake disconcertingly, like they were about to fall off--also scared me to death!

After the trip, I immediately took my car to the Agoura Service Center to have it looked at. Although I did NOT have an appointment, the extremely nice Service Advisor, Jonathan, went in the car with me (I made HIM drive) to see what the problems were.

He said the horrific alarm was indeed the front end collision alarm. I had it set to the lowest proximity alert and the alarm was triggered by ...well I don't know why it was triggered, and neither did he. He conjectured that it may have been this perfect storm of freeway events, exacerbated by the early warning setting I had set! We changed the setting to standard.

The wheel shaking was NOT the wheels falling off. It was the lane change warning to wake up people who fall asleep at the wheel. Yikes! I'm glad my wheels are solid, but I feel sort of like an idiot.

Jonathan spent a good hour with me, going over little-known details about the car, so I feel a bit more confident.

Next up: Auto Pilot, Cruise Control, and Parking Assist? :eek:

Reactions: .jg.
Sounds like a business opportunity for someone in LA.

Reminds me of the time going down the freeway and I tell my tech-ignorant spouse "don't freak out but I'm going to reboot the car now". The look was priceless!

DUDE!!!!!! The Tesla service folks told me NOT to reboot or update the Car while driving! Was that just for me, or is that true for everybody? Note: "Car" with a capital C. ;)

DUDE!!!!!! The Tesla service folks told me NOT to reboot or update the Car while driving! Was that just for me, or is that true for everybody? Note: "Car" with a capital C. ;)

You can reboot the big screen whilst driving (the two thumb wheel buttons on the steering wheel) - and this is sometimes useful when the navigation, media or Internet connectivity is misbehaving. However, I have only ever rebooted the small screen behind the steering wheel (two buttons above the thumbwheels on the steering wheel) when the car is parked.

I guess testosterone makes men less risk averse than women and when thinking "Does this feature work when I am doing 90 mph?", perhaps more inclined to just try it and find out. You can take advantage of the results of such experiments from postings here, on similar forums and YouTube :)