Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving slow or fast??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I know this is going to be very subjective but i wanted to get everyone's opinion. I recently picked up my MY Long range and fell in love with it, its fast, quite, and enjoyable by every means. Here's my "dilemma"... before owning an electric car i never payed attention to my gas millage, i've owned a couple muscle cars that got horrible gas millage. I now find my self looking frequently to see how the WH/MI is doing and even driving in Chill mode more often to keep the WH/MI down. Here's the craziest part. I literally get free electricity as i live on a military installation. I love driving fast but find myself putting it into chill mode for reasons i cant understand. Just to ease my thoughts, driving in normal mode and punching it all the time will not negatively affect battery performance or possibly degrade the battery over time? I here all the time about people loosing miles after a owning the car for a little time. I roughly have 2500 miles on the car and show zero signs of losing any % of my battery. Am i being over cautious ? has anyone felt the same way? Thanks!

Driving in normal mode and accelerating hard won’t affect your battery capacity at all. It just doesn’t do that. And accelerating hard has much less effect on fuel economy than it does in gas cars. The speed you drive will significantly affect your energy consumption but quickly accelerating has minimal impact on it.

Driving hard will prematurely wear out your tires, suspension parts. (I would include brakes but regenerative braking makes wearing out the brakes in a Tesla vehicle unlikely unless you are running laps at a race track.)

Tesla's aren't a good "MPG" car. Supercharging is a bit expensive, so unless ya charge at home cheaply (or with solar) or get for free, its not as cost effective as a hybrid etc. I would guess better than say a big suv or truck though. Since you get free charging, drive it like you stole it(but carefully) and enjoy smoking just about everything on the road.

Ur getting free charging. If ur coming from a gas guzzler premium octane, then charging level 2 at home may as well be free by comparison (my electric went up 42 bucks first month of owning; my average gas bill on my CTSV was 260....).

Cars are meant to be driven. Tires wear out. I plan on owning this thing for 85-100k miles and then getting something else. I’m going to drive her however I feel like. Bought it because it is a rocket. I drive very carefully; but when I can open it up... whelp. I do.

Battery will degrade over time. All cars wear down/out. It just is. Accept it. Enjoy it. Invest the money you save on gas and by the time the battery is degraded badly you will be able to afford your next ride...

Reactions: whisperingshad
I love driving fast but find myself putting it into chill mode for reasons i cant understand.
When I bought our brand-new 2015 Toyota Highlander, it had a feature I'd never had before: a "Fuel Economy" readout, telling me my average MPG since the last time I refueled. It became a game to try and get that number as high as possible—not because I cared that much about the cost of gas (it was $2.50/gal when I bought it), but it was just fun to see how high I could get that number. I think the best I got was something like 27mpg.

I've stopped looking at that number; now I get 17mpg :D I'm also a new MY owner so I can't comment on battery degradation, but I'm also playing the "get kW/mi as low as possible" game (except when I know I'm driving for fun, then I'm trying to get the number as high as I can :D)