Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Tampa to Spokane in 2020 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I decided last night to drive to mountain home in Spokane from our home in Tampa, which is about the longest drive possible. This decision was made on a whim so just starting to plan it. Has anyone driven from the Deep South to the PNW? Suggestions or maps to share? Thx

View attachment 540071
Really, really not the best time for cross country travel. Limited restaurant access. Limited lodging options. Pandemic concerns. With that said, whenever you go, find interesting places to see that don’t take you too far off course and take the time to enjoy the trip.

You're gonna love it. This time last year we did Raleigh to Napa in 2018 MS straight line and meandered on the way back to make it 8,800 miles. Never a problem. We planned to do trans-Canada this summer since the electric road opened all the way across just a few months ago. Guess what! It doesn't feel like so much fun during the plague but we will do it when we think it's all clear. Be safe and enjoy!

Reactions: ScottFLA
Wife and I decided last night to drive to mountain home in Spokane from our home in Tampa, which is about the longest drive possible. This decision was made on a whim so just starting to plan it. Has anyone driven from the Deep South to the PNW? Suggestions or maps to share? Thx

View attachment 540071
Went 24,000 km last year With my Model3P around North America: Vancouver- Ottawa- Miami- L.A.-Vancouver with lots of side trips.
- only place I had to change my route to get to superchargers: Texas
- using A/C kills range, even though I had the mesh inserts for the glass roof
- using a small plug-in electronic cooler kills range
- other than Texas, absolutely zero range anxiety if you stay near main roads, just use the car’s charging suggestions.
Have s nice trip!

Just got back from a long trip up to Vancouver, B.C., across to Lethbridge, Alberta and then back to Oregon and down the coast through California and then returning to Arizona. I never plan my trips - I just get in the car and tell the Tesla my destination address and it does the rest. I put a blow-up twin mattress in the back and slept there for two nights - I also use a 2 inch memory foam mattress topper - very comfy. I made sandwiches before I left and I didn't spend a dime until I was coming back and there was a Dairy Queen right next to the Supercharger... I just had to get a Blizzard. With the Range Mode turned on, there was never an issue with range - in fact, one time it told me I wouldn't make it to a further supercharger and I made it easily. I love road trips in a Tesla... Did my first one with an 85 about four years ago. Today, it is much, much easier.

Brent

With the Range Mode turned on, there was never an issue with range - in fact, one time it told me I wouldn't make it to a further supercharger and I made it easily. I love road trips in a Tesla... Did my first one with an 85 about four years ago. Today, it is much, much easier.

Brent
Happy to hear about your great trip. What speeds?

Just getting caught up on all the great responses. Thank you for taking the time to comment which was very helpful! I feel far better about the trip and until I used some of the recommended apps I didn't realize it would not be a problem. I've driven this before in a gas powered auto but never an EV. I was concerned about stretches like Sioux Falls, SD to Rapid City, SD, which if you've ever driven that on I-90 it is no mans land forever. I was surprised to learn there are chargers on that route since I remember hardly any exits. Montana has some very long stretches too but it appears to be no issues now.

I had thought about the degradation in the mountain passes but headwinds hadn't occurred to me. Interesting and I'll keep an eye out and let the car do the calculations.

As for those who wouldn't do it b/c of Covid-19 I hear you. I used to get grief from the wife b/c I'm somewhat of a germaphobe so back before all of this when I went to store or on a road trip I'd buy a bunch of Clorox wipes, Purell, Lysol, etc, which accumulated over the years into a large stockpile. I also have masks. I plan on wiping down hard surfaces in the hotel rooms, washing hands, etc., and we are also taking a 90 qt cooler with food, drinks, etc. so we're not stopping for food. I am not too worried about bed linens as everything I've read indicates that on porous materials the virus only lives a few hours. BUT, here is the deal: I feel like it's a lot safer out west right now, and may be considerably safer soon after the re-opening here. I have been social distancing for 2 months, so we're leaving FL after a full quarantine. No beaches for me, or for that matter much of anything else but running on backroads. But I am also getting cabin fever, as Floridians don't give an F about Covid (and I'm saying that as a lifelong Floridian born here). Florida man is a very real thing. Our place out West boarders a National Forest and I just can't wait to head outside anytime I am want. I'll shoot some grouse when I get there as well.

Leaving tomorrow at 6 am and I'll include some trip notes. Thanks again!

Just getting caught up on all the great responses. Thank you for taking the time to comment which was very helpful! I feel far better about the trip and until I used some of the recommended apps I didn't realize it would not be a problem. I've driven this before in a gas powered auto but never an EV. I was concerned about stretches like Sioux Falls, SD to Rapid City, SD, which if you've ever driven that on I-90 it is no mans land forever. I was surprised to learn there are chargers on that route since I remember hardly any exits. Montana has some very long stretches too but it appears to be no issues now.

I had thought about the degradation in the mountain passes but headwinds hadn't occurred to me. Interesting and I'll keep an eye out and let the car do the calculations.

As for those who wouldn't do it b/c of Covid-19 I hear you. I used to get grief from the wife b/c I'm somewhat of a germaphobe so back before all of this when I went to store or on a road trip I'd buy a bunch of Clorox wipes, Purell, Lysol, etc, which accumulated over the years into a large stockpile. I also have masks. I plan on wiping down hard surfaces in the hotel rooms, washing hands, etc., and we are also taking a 90 qt cooler with food, drinks, etc. so we're not stopping for food. I am not too worried about bed linens as everything I've read indicates that on porous materials the virus only lives a few hours. BUT, here is the deal: I feel like it's a lot safer out west right now, and may be considerably safer soon after the re-opening here. I have been social distancing for 2 months, so we're leaving FL after a full quarantine. No beaches for me, or for that matter much of anything else but running on backroads. But I am also getting cabin fever, as Floridians don't give an F about Covid (and I'm saying that as a lifelong Floridian born here). Florida man is a very real thing. Our place out West boarders a National Forest and I just can't wait to head outside anytime I am want. I'll shoot some grouse when I get there as well.

Leaving tomorrow at 6 am and I'll include some trip notes. Thanks again!

Have a great trips and be sure to report your progress along the way. If you run to any issues use the forums to throw up a flare. People are always ready to help out.

Also, thanks for for confirming that Florida man exists!:p

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Depending how long this shelter at home where most of the restaurant, hotels, and even National Parks... are closed,

just by curiosity, I wonder is there any alternative such as Auto Train, fly and rent a car locally or send the car by truck,

and what would be the cost, duration, and pros and cons compare to driving?

View attachment 540071
I have driven from Atlanta to Spokane for over ten years so have some experience. The most important issue is to plan your route yourself and not let software plan it for you. Weather and flooding are the major issues. Getting to Kansas City is the easy part. I recommend that you go west as long as you can and then go north from Cheyenne to I-90 and then to Spokane.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up

View attachment 540071

I did a 6,100 mile drive from Coral Springs, FL to Pocatello, ID via way of Denver and Salt Lake City.

On the way back I went an even more adventurous route so I could drive thru all the gorgeous scenery (sorely lacking in South Florida) in Utah and New Mexico.

Part 1) Pocatello, ID to Baton Rouge, LA: Google Maps
Part 2) Baton Rouge, LA to Coral Springs, FL. Nothing exciting. Just I-10 to I-75 to Turnpike.
Yeah I used ABetterRoutePlanner for hours. Just a couple of red legs where it said I couldn't make it. In the end I ended up using the in-car system almost the entire time. It was easy and as long as you picked a destination or SC by your destination and like the car pick your stops you were mostly OK. I would watch it charge and rather then leave right away because it put in just enough so you arrive with 9%, I'd keep charging till I had a reserve of 15-20%. If I can arrive with 20%.. then I can leave sooner.

Hardest part was Trinidad, Co SC to the Amarillo, TX SC. 206 miles in 101F in a SR+. I never went over 65-70, but still had to drop my speed... 65, 60. I was doing 55 at one point on a 2-lane hwy stacking up cars behind me with no safe place to pull off and let them by. Arrived with just 3% left. However, I could have stopped at an RV park and plugged into a 14-50 outlet, but didn't want to rent a space for just a 1-2 hour charge (later I was forced to stop at one for a couple hours in Vidor, TX and the owner did not charge me anything!).

Moral of the story.... you'll have a great trip and about 1/3 of way thru it you'll realize it's easy. Take the scenic route... Denver thru the mountains, cut north thru Utah, Idaho and up the Idaho Panhandle to Spokane.

We are thinking of moving up that way in a few years via the Idaho panhandle to Spokane. I'd like to find a nice scenic spot.

Reactions: IdaX
Moral of the story.... you'll have a great trip and about 1/3 of way thru it you'll realize it's easy. Take the scenic route... Denver thru the mountains, cut north thru Utah, Idaho and up the Idaho Panhandle to Spokane.

with one caveat -- US95 from Spokane down to Boise has a dearth of charging options. Stay at the Super8 in Grangeville to charge overnight, maybe. I've got an 80-amp wall charger in Moscow, Idaho that you're welcome to use in case that helps you to bridge the gap...