Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving the Model S for Uber + Lyft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't read the whole thread, but someone else was driving for Uber and it voided their Tesla warranty. Something about paying out of pocket for a new drivetrain or something, I don't remember the details.

So your costs are much higher than you think.

And honestly, as a side note, I just don't understand why someone would want to work as an Uber driver if they have a Tesla. It's more wear and tear on the car, lots of wasted time/days/etc, for an extra what $20/hour?

:confused: I didn't think my reply was snappy.

Some other examples:

Am I saving on fuel costs with my MS over my Prius? - Page 4
Emergency opening rear doors
7.1 AutoPilot Nag - Page 14

Rather than discuss the merits or drawbacks of what's posted, it appears that many replies go straight to refutation. I find the approach closed-minded and dismissive.

This forum has a reputation as having a tough crowd. There's MANY people who don't post because when they do, their idea or comment gets brushed off as if their contribution is worthless, bothersome or intrusive.

Reactions: sparkie
I UberSelect to cover the costs of my now defunct lease reimbursement. As long as my total miles for the day pays for that AND my $0.25/mile overage mileage cost on my lease, it works financially for me.

Completely agree about the evangelical part. I get more compliments and talking customers than probably any other vehicle driving for RideShares. It's a great feeling.

Nav: clearing out addresses speeds it up? I always assumed they just auto-deleted after so many. This is good to know. Its now the slowest part of my car, and is now annoying to enter addresses in, I've also had to do more GTW resets lately...I'll have to give this a try.

Some other examples:

Am I saving on fuel costs with my MS over my Prius? - Page 4
Emergency opening rear doors
7.1 AutoPilot Nag - Page 14

Rather than discuss the merits or drawbacks of what's posted, it appears that many replies go straight to refutation. I find the approach closed-minded and dismissive.

This forum has a reputation as having a tough crowd. There's MANY people who don't post because when they do, their idea or comment gets brushed off as if their contribution is worthless, bothersome or intrusive.

I agree that there are a lot of people in these forums who are too quick to go over the top with their defense of some policy or opinion, but I don't think the one you're talking about in this thread is a good example. Maybe you're being too sensitive? I didn't see snippiness in Max's comment and he's absolutely right that doing a driver-service under a lease, even part-time, wouldn't be very economically feasible.

Maybe you're being too sensitive?

Perhaps, and this doesn't happen all the time. But it does happen.

My point in this particular thread was just to bring about another relevant point to the discussion. I don't think it deserved to be treated like a theoretical case that would never happen.

I've been trying to contribute what I know to the many threads and discussions across this whole forum, but sometimes it feels like I'm talking to a brick wall. I'm not seeking recognition or kudos -- I just want to contribute.

Hate to burst your bubble, but hope you purchased your own commercial car insurance. Personal car carriers don't take a liking to ride services and will cancel if they find out. If you get in a wreck while on the clock, they won't cover. Uber insurance only covers when a paying passenger is in the car.

And if you get in a wreck without a passenger inside, how on earth would your insurance company even know you were driving specifically for Uber when the accident took place? With no active fare inside the car at the time, nobody would know. It's just you driving.

I signed up for UberSelect (similar to LUX I think) and I can tell you it was a waste of time. I ended up doing a bunch of UberX rides for peanuts because no one ever wants Select in Phoenix. Over about 25 rides I made just under minimum wage. No thanks. I'll spend that time with my family.

In all seriousness I never intended to use this as income. Rather I was curious about "the other side of Uber." What I learned very quickly was that it's a dog fight out there. No real way to make a profit unless you drive a Prius V and make it your full time gig. The last straw for me was carrying two drunks who kept pressing the touch screen after I told them to knock it off. No thanks. I'm not cleaning puke out of my $100k car for $3/mile.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you get in a wreck without a passenger inside, how on earth would your insurance company even know you were driving specifically for Uber when the accident took place? With no active fare inside the car at the time, nobody would know. It's just you driving.

Uber insurance covers whenever you are on the clock, I believe. Either way I bet if you let your primary insurance know you were doing Uber they would drop you in a second - especially in AZ.

Reactions: vrykolas