Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving the Model S for Uber + Lyft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to Uber my Model S in Colorado but I've run into a major problem- Tesla isn't on the list of manufacturers for a limo license. To up to UberBlack (no UberSelect available in my area) I need the limo license and that takes a rule change at the State level.

I need some petition love..... please help.

PUC please approve Tesla as a Luxury Car in Colorado
So would a BMW 3-Series also qualify? Those requirements seem kinda strange.

Here's the list of approved vehicles- and only those on the list. A BMW 3 series with 4 doors would likely qualify as a sedan manufactured by BMW (I have a 1988 325ix which is still eating road for breakfast- love it)

(A)a sedan, crossover, or sport utility vehicle manufactured by: Acura, Audi,
Bentley, BMW, Cadillac, Ferrari, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Lincoln, Maserati,
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, or Rolls Royce; or

(B) one of the following: Chrysler 300, Hyundai Equus, Saab 9-5, Chevrolet
Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Excursion, Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon,
Hummer (all models, excluding sport utility truck version).

Question: have you had any complaints about rear seat comfort? I rode in my own Model S for a half-hour or so, and was appalled at how awful the rear seat is! My back was aching badly after that trip. Now I do not push others in my family to ride back there.

Also, how about the AC? has it been keeping passengers comfy in the hot Texas weather?

The extended warranty does say it wouldn't apply if you have been driving for Uber. Of course if you haven't bought it that is no problem. If you have it is very unlikely that Tesla will find out.
And if you are considering buying it you can just put your $4250 in the bank and between it and your Uber earnings you can most likely cover any problems. Especially considering the $200 deductible per incident and that the drivetrain is already covered for the period of the extended warranty.

My insurance statement came with some change notices. Sprinkled about the changes are numerous statements to the effect, They are starting to take note.

I use my Nissan Leaf for Uber also. I had AAA Auto-Insurance but they refuse to cover a vehicle if you use it for Uber. So I switched insurance carriers to CSE. I am actually saving over $800 on my Home/Auto/Earthquake compared to AAA now, so it all worked out. I have a Ride-Share option for my Leaf that costs an extra $74/Year on my CSE policy. I told AAA they were fired as my insurance carrier because they refuse to acknowledge the existence of the gig-economy.

I use my Nissan Leaf for Uber also. I had AAA Auto-Insurance but they refuse to cover a vehicle if you use it for Uber. So I switched insurance carriers to CSE. I am actually saving over $800 on my Home/Auto/Earthquake compared to AAA now, so it all worked out. I have a Ride-Share option for my Leaf that costs an extra $74/Year on my CSE policy. I told AAA they were fired as my insurance carrier because they refuse to acknowledge the existence of the gig-economy.

Both Uber & Lyft have automatic insurance while driving with passengers. Read up on their site for details.

Lyft insurance is better in my opinion.

Are you still getting mostly Select and Lux fares? Teach me your ways, oh wise one. Where do you lurk? And when do you do your lurking?

I’m loving the experience of driving ridehails with my Model 3, many similar exchanges as you. And I looked at the depreciation according to KBB based on mileage and it looks like it might be around 18¢/mile (though I’m guessing it’s actually a bit more). Still, not terrible.

I'm resurrecting this thread to get some feedback. I've been thinking about using my Model S to drive for Uber on random days off - purely as a hobby, a way to introduce people to Teslas and EVs. I enjoy meeting people, and I enjoy driving my car more than anything else (sometimes on random weekdays off I will just drive the Blue Ridge Parkway for fun). I am a physician and don't need the money, and could make way more money in my free time moonlighting and doing telehealth from home (in fact, I already do about as much of that as I can). I do get a fair number of random weekdays off when my wife and kids are at school and work. Giving Uber rides to familiarize people with Tesla/EV, purely when I feel like it from ~ 8a - 4p on a weekday or two seems like fun.

Anyone think I'm crazy?

I'm resurrecting this thread to get some feedback. I've been thinking about using my Model S to drive for Uber on random days off - purely as a hobby, a way to introduce people to Teslas and EVs. I enjoy meeting people, and I enjoy driving my car more than anything else (sometimes on random weekdays off I will just drive the Blue Ridge Parkway for fun). I am a physician and don't need the money, and could make way more money in my free time moonlighting and doing telehealth from home (in fact, I already do about as much of that as I can). I do get a fair number of random weekdays off when my wife and kids are at school and work. Giving Uber rides to familiarize people with Tesla/EV, purely when I feel like it from ~ 8a - 4p on a weekday or two seems like fun.

Anyone think I'm crazy?

Just dont assume your passengers will want to hear what you have to say, or that they wont drop gum on the floor or throw up

Just dont assume your passengers will want to hear what you have to say, or that they wont drop gum on the floor or throw up
Right. I would dial back any political or environmental discussion and let the car speak for itself. I would hope my all-weather mats would help keep it clean. And getting puked in seems less likely when I drive during the workday... avoiding nighttime drunks...

Anyone think I'm crazy?
I did it for a while before I got married, also had time off where I was just bored and wanted to do something.

I gave about 20 rides in total and then stopped doing it, I realized I’m not a people person and lots of people don’t have respect for others property.
I had a guy spill his coffee while fumbling to get his phone out of his back pocket
Another person brought their pet along that they claimed was a service animal and I couldn’t refuse them, a little chihuahua. Was annoying as heck.
The most annoying one. Smokers who just finished a cigarette while waiting for you getting in and just simply stinking up the car.

I was bored but no way was I going to have my vehicles ruined over it. Experiment was a failure

the only good thing was I did get a few numbers, which was a nice ego boost... as if I needed one

Reactions: cucubits
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't uber charge a cleanup fee of like $150?!?

I'd refrain from driving my Tesla for Uber or lyft because I've seen too many dashcam videos of things. There's footage online of a girl who took a dump all over the interior of some guys Mercedes....Too many horror stories for me so personally I'd never do it but if you're up for the challenge I'd say go for it!

• Funny
Reactions: Qbenjamin

Anyone think I'm crazy?

Yes, you are crazy. Find a different hobby that exposes you to less/no liability. Some people are nice, but insurance companies are not. You really want that headache once they figure out what you do for a living? Wanna meet people, go work at the supermarket.

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits
I’ve been toying with a similar idea. A local taxi company called Current Taxis has only Teslas and I thought I might see if they need occasional drivers. They are advertising and I sometimes meet their drives at the supercharger.

So you are not alone in the thought experiment (Rogue Synapse) and this option removes some of the concerns perhaps.

Reactions: AtAge19
I’m very active in my local EV club and have participated in many shows and given many rides to people during those shows (e.g. Drive Electric week in September every year). I’ve always enjoyed talking to people about my car and I’m always interested in promoting EVs in general and Teslas in particular. I would view this more of an extension of that - leveraging ownership of my car to promote EV awareness on a relatively infrequent, daylight-only, downtown-and-airport-rides basis. I once got an Uber driver who had a LEAF and loved talking about his car for similar reasons. That’s the guy that inspired me to think about this.

Reactions: Chaz and AtAge19
I gave 40 rides a couple years and probably a third of my riders were amazed and had all kinds of questions. Most of the others didn't really say or ask about it. There was one who was anti-renewable energy and he kept complaining about solar, etc. but I mentioned how great solar was since my car was entirely powered by solar. :cool:

A housemate has done nearly 1400 Uber rides in his and hasn't had any bad experiences. He's had some long trips too...like 130+ miles and made some good money via tips, quests, consecutive bonuses, surges, etc. We live right next to a concert venue and when I was doing rides, it was easy to just do one ride and make over $100 by taking riders from the venue to downtown Denver.

Reactions: Chaz
And if you get in a wreck without a passenger inside, how on earth would your insurance company even know you were driving specifically for Uber when the accident took place? With no active fare inside the car at the time, nobody would know. It's just you driving.

I had a recent small accident. I do not drive any Lyft/Uber. One of the insurance company questions was does ANY car on your policy EVER drive for Uber/Lyft services.