Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving through Nevada, heat pump keep up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just hang a water bag in front of your radiator and you should be good.
iu

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58 and FlyF4
Just hang a water bag in front of your radiator and you should be good.
iu

Dam that brings back memories, my father had to carry a jug of water in our 59 Ford Galaxy because in the heat of the summer it would experience "vapor lock" and we had to pour the cool water over the fuel line as it entered the carburetor to get the engine to fire again and run. So this is a great solution.....

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Dam that brings back memories, my father had to carry a jug of water in our 59 Ford Galaxy because in the heat of the summer it would experience "vapor lock" and we had to pour the cool water over the fuel line as it entered the carburetor to get the engine to fire again and run. So this is a great solution.....

Same here as a child. Remember a breakdown on the side of the road was not uncommon for us and almost always this was it. In my adult life I’ve had very few issues and only once been stuck on the side of the road with a blowout.

No tint: I don't care for the look. And no problems keeping the car cool at 99 degrees. I would imagine a measly eleven more degrees wouldn't matter. The system is not under-sized.

By the way, when you tint, the sun's infrared is not reflected back out, but absorbed by the black paint, to be re-radiated out and in. You'd be better off using tin foil hats.

I am wondering if you know that it is not the darkness that matters.
Historically, the darker tints have tended to offer better UV protection in the past but I'm now seeing that's not necessarily true with newer type films. How good is the stock tint, which I've noticed they mention UV protection, vs aftermarket? It still seems that additional light equals additional heat with a dark interior.

I'm wondering more about how the heat pup will do in very cold weather... that's where a heat pump struggles. In the summer it's basically the same as an AC.
I suppose the Y heat pump set up to extract heat from the motors or battery so it's not relying on heat that's not there in the atmosphere.

I live in Vegas. Drove the MY home from St George UT this weekend. 110 outside and the car had no trouble keeping the inside nice and comfortable. AC set to 70. Be prepare to take a hit on range though. I charged the Y to 200 miles at the SC station. The trip was about 120 miles. I was using AP most of the way at 78 mph. The car had 20 miles range left when I got home.

By the way, when you tint, the sun's infrared is not reflected back out, but absorbed by the black paint, to be re-radiated out and in. You'd be better off using tin foil hats.

This. The tint might help hugely on personal comfort because that heat energy isn’t beating down on your skin, but you’re not magically shielding the car from it. That’s why the cabin still gets hot when you park the car, and at about the same rate. I have tint all around and my car hit 150 degrees today in 109 degree temps.

Place your hand right near the glass and you’ll feel heat radiating off an inch or two. That’s actually what I thought might be causing cracking roofs in early Model 3s. Potentially a much higher heat load in the glass, and especially if then cooling the cabin very quickly....