Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving through steep ramps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.
My garage is at the basement level of my building, but the entrance is on the first level, so there's a steep ramp to enter/exit my garage. Unfortunately, the clearance of the Model 3 is quite low compared to most cars, so whenever I drive through the ramp, I can hear the bottom of my Model 3 scraping along the ramp. So I have two questions:
1) Is there a way to avoid the scraping?
2) How harmful is the scraping to the battery?

Note: I've tried looking this up and I've seen suggestions about driving on a 45 degree angle and that seems to help, but there's still a scraping sound.

Thank you,
rb8888

Does it scrape the underbody or just a bumper? In case of the former, I'd immediately stop using the ramp and talk to Tesla. While it's probably unlikely that the battery module will be punctured, it might be deformed (depending on the impact force), which could lead to serious damage.

BTW, the Model 3's ground clearance actually isn't particularly low.

You might be the first case in a Model 3 where you have to raise it rather than lowering it. I had this issue with my S, however the air suspension was working wonders for that situation. You definitely do not want to scrape the bottom considering the battery module, however I'm assuming it's the side frame is what's scraping.

The underbody is scraping.
I just called Tesla about it and a technician said that there's a lot of protection on the undercarriage to protect the battery and that it should be okay as long as I take it slow.
It's probably ok if you do it occasionally but scraping multiple times a day for years seems like a bad idea.
Rent a concrete grinder at Home Depot and fix it.
Concrete Grinder 10"
Just wear a uniform while you do it and no one will question you. :D

Reactions: usofrob and Graffi