Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving through water tore off my rear bumper, AC system now hot until I start driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy folks.

So ya, I hit about a 3 inch puddle of water on one side of my car last week. Beyond the fact that it completely tore off my rear bumper and the back/mid aero shield, it also appears to have jammed the intake fan. WHen I drove it out to get an estimate, the AC was blowing cold air. When I stop, you can feel a slight kick of the fan trying to move but jammed. So, blowing out warm air when stopped.

I assume it would be easily accessible under the car, but was hoping get someone's advice on it as well. In my head I can picture something bent or even something jammed in there.

As far as damage, I already had it looked at and waiting for parts. Fortunately nothing serious and given the OK to drive.

The advice is, if you already had it looked at, wait for them to fix it. Don't risk messing around and screwing something else up.
And I certainly believe that all happened from three inches of water....assuming those three inches of water were in a massive pothole. ;)

Well frankly I'm horrible at gauging crap like that. It had to be right above the rims. Unfortunately I couldn't tell really because the 4 lights on this street are burnt out. I was going about 30-35. Never saw it coming

So ya, I hit about a 3 inch puddle of water on one side of my car last week. Beyond the fact that it completely tore off my rear bumper and the back/mid aero shield, it also appears to have jammed the intake fan. WHen I drove it out to get an estimate, the AC was blowing cold air. When I stop, you can feel a slight kick of the fan trying to move but jammed. So, blowing out warm air when stopped.

Sorry to hear about your experience.
A modern, well engineered car, shouldn't self-destruct when going through a puddle.
Sadly, our Teslas don't make the grade.

I assume it would be easily accessible under the car, but was hoping get someone's advice on it as well. In my head I can picture something bent or even something jammed in there.

Or a blown fuse, if you can find it!
The fan itself should sit adjacent to the AC condenser. You should be able to easily spot it on the frunk is removed.

Frunk comes out like this:

That's great thanks. Anyone else in the know, does that radiator fan and radiator itself a part of the battery cooling system??
Yes, it is.

So ya, I hit about a 3 inch puddle of water on one side of my car last week.
I was going about 30-35.

For the water to have caused damage to the radiator/fan I think it would have needed to be way deeper than 3 inches.. (At three inches only your tires would have contacted the puddle.) Or you were going way faster than 35 MPH.

Most likely it was 6-9" deep. And yeah, fording that at 35MPH will do plenty of damage to most vehicles.