Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driving thru deep water puddle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my Tesla S85 2013 through a 4-6 inch puddle that was about 10 feet wide. It caused the Tesla to shut down and not restart not immediately but a day later. I had the car towed to the dealer who told me that they had seen three other cases like this in the past 6 months. We have had a lot of rain here in DE and NJ and PA. Anyhow the main fuse for the car got corroded in just two to three days exposure to the water. In my car it was in the dependent portion of the battery. So even though it is sealed water can get in and has gotten in several cars. I did a web search and this was NOT reported so I want all owners to be careful. Your Tesla might work but it is also possible it will NOT work after you drive through a large deep puddle. And so far the dealer is saying this is not covered by the warranty. I did point out that Elon said I don't recommend this but your Tesla S is designed to float for several minutes. The time it too to drive through this puddle was about 10 seconds. I love Elon but my car did not FLOAT. I did send him a tweet. I hope he hears me.

Reactions: bonaire
Do you have any idea how many drivers they killed before they finally got a successful take on that video? At least 6. There were all death row inmates who were given a chance to drive through a deep puddle for a chance at freedom.
Driving through more than 4-6 inches of water can be very dangerous. My Tesla did not like driving through 4-6 inches of water. No water came into the cabin though.

Driving through more than 4-6 inches of water can be very dangerous. My Tesla did not like driving through 4-6 inches of water. No water came into the cabin though.

Absolutely! If the water is above the bottom of the car, then the weight of the car is decreased significantly (portions are trying to float). That and the water severely reduces the friction on the road and makes the car easier to be moved by the flow of water.
Unless you can see the circumference of the entire puddle, even if the water looks perfectly still, it can be a significant amount of water flowing and the car and occupants can be washed away.

A few years ago, we had an instance of a little water in the road washing a car away and occupants were deceased.

Is it worth tempting it?

water is no problem , just be sure to use 007 mode:
2015%2F02%2F27%2Fd0%2Fteslamodels.2fb9d.jpg

zi8OwoPknR

url

2 year road construction project near my home. Had to drive through a bit of running water late this summer when we had a ton of rain in VA. Length of the temporary stream was perhaps 3 car lengths and the depth sure seemed greater than 6" deep but maybe I was getting traction on account of the cars immediately ahead of me creating a bit of a wake. I drove through fine, but very worried. Car never felt like it floated. It's possible I just got lucky...

We had to drive through several places with water covering the roads during Harvey last year - and, perhaps we were lucky, didn't have any problems.

Though, we were pretty conservative about it - raising the air suspension to very high, verifying the water depth by observing other vehicles, and then driving slowly on the path that seemed to have the least depth of water.

We've since purchased a Model X - which rides higher off the road, and if this happens again, we'll plan to drive the X instead of the S (which sits much lower).