Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving tips for P90DL Wanted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with ShotgunF15E. The performance of the P90DL is disproportionate. It is quicker than its handling and braking ability. It's handling is actually decent. But, don't expect to quickly accelerate while performing maneuvers. You can easily lose control because, for a car this quick, it is quite heavy. I almost did that the first week I had it as I quickly sped around a slow moving vehicle on the onramp.

It accelerates likely beyond you have ever imagined. But, as ShotgunF15E said, it is no Porsche 911 Turbo.

Unlike conventional high performance cars of olden times - that had stiff clutches, rough idle, peaky power - and were difficult to drive the P90D is docile and smooth. You only get the rush when you depress the go pedal firmly down.

You're in complete control. I leave mine in Ludicrous all the time. Nothing to be concerned about.

Most Americans greatly over estimate how good a driver they are. Any fool can drive fast, you might consider training yourself to drive better? If you go to a Porsche Club event, you will find that a whole lot of drivers, have been to driving school, and often to racing school too. The good drivers, can beat average drivers on an auto cross circuit, in a far inferior car. Long ago, I did driving school, then racing school, and I learned I don't want to die, so I quit there. But, I learned to handle a car in corners, in wet, on snow, fast or slow. You can read a few articles on cornering theory, watch some videos, take a class? Then go practice on a safe piece of road.

The warnings about how much faster your car is then expected seem right on. I changed lanes in a city a week ago, with some fool slingshoting himself at 80 mph, in a 45 zone, out of the right lane, where 2 roads merged and forked on to 2 freeways. Almost rear ended me, when I switched out of the left lane to make my exit. I was looking that way, head around looking, but I couldn't imagine him being there. Came around a couple of cars, couldn't see him until he was on me. Your car is faster then that. Be careful my friend. With great power...

The good news is... the P90DL can be driven just like any other Model S. If you put her into SPORT mode, you essentially have a much more torquey 90D. A real Jeckle and Hyde. Unlike other ICE cars, the massive torque is always instantly there... even when doing 75 MPH on the turnpike.

If you've ever driven a high performance car even once, you'll find the Tesla extremely well behaved compared to almost all high performance cars. The traction control and stability control on an electric drivetrain make an excellent and well behaved vehicle. That said, when you push it just past the limit of what the computer can do to correct your stupidity, you can go out of control in a split second, so it is important to learn the limits of the car in a safe manner and drive under those limits by a safe margin. Beware of adverse conditions, rain, snow or poor tire choices can greatly affect the handling.

If you are coming from an "ordinary" performance car, you can continue to use your old driving style, but you'll only be using the first quarter of the pedal. Learn to use the one pedal method and you'll be VERY happy with the driving style. As a previous poster suggested, max regen and creep off gives the best experience. Unlike gas performance cars, the Tesla doesn't cause a great roar or consume vast amounts of fuel when pushing up the performance level, so you will likely find yourself gradually increasing your acceleration in normal driving. Beware starting quickly at lights as other drivers will not expect a quick launch and will do stupid things. Your car will be quite capable of being in the intersection as some idiot runs the red light. It is possible to pass safely in a Tesla in a very short distance, but that distance will terrify oncoming drivers, who may react poorly. The most important thing about driving a high performance car is to increase your awareness of other drivers, their reactions and their needs.

My previous go-fast car was a '93 Twin Turbo RX-7 (modified) which was almost as fast as my P85, but requiring massive amounts more driver work to obtain what the P85 does with no effort.

You'll love it!